• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australian Domestic Season 2017/18

Spikey

Ashes 2017: Peter Nevill snubbed from shock Australian line-up for first Test

Trent Woodhill tweeted it a few minutes prior, although he also had Maxwell at 6.

And how do you feel about that?
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I didn't think they'd go back to Nevill so it's not like I'm gutted or anything. I had a bad feeling ever since he got named in the t20 team. That wasn't just a random call. Paine is beloved for some reason. I choose to pivot towards blaming Chappell. I would have strongly considered going with Bancroft at 6 and keeping, if both Wade/Nevill were ruled illegible.

Gnske

If this happens, I'm predicting a line drop somewhere in the presser that says "We wanted a keeper for all three formats."

At the end of the day it was an impossible choice, all our keepers are **** at something. Matt Wade can't score runs or keep, Paine can't score tons or keep for his state, Carey can't score tons either, Peirson can't do anything, Bancroft doesn't do it full time and Nevill doesn't have a loud enough voice in the opinion of the captain.

Literally anyone could have got it. I just hope at the end of the day, it isn't that pussy Nevill.

Burgey

Official CA twitter account just linked the article.

This is a piss take surely. No beef with Paine’s keeping but he isn’t even doing it for Tassie. And Shaun Marsh favoured to bat six? I mean, come on.

Spikey

I love how selecting teams, the batting side of things in particular, is really pretty easy and we make it so so so difficult. bring on the robots

TimAngas

I like the Shaun Marsh selection, recent form in tests has been adequate and seems to be in very good touch. Puts experience into fragile middle order. Since his horror run, whenever he's been picked at home he's delivered, not unlike Khawaja.

Midwinter

I like the Shaun Marsh selection, recent form in tests has been adequate and seems to be in very good touch. Puts the fragility into fragile middle order. Since his horror run, whenever he's been picked at home he's delivered, not unlike Khawaja.
:)

morgieb

Paine? He's not even keeping for Tassie!

Don't mind Darsh if he's batting 6, I think he's probably a better batsman than Maxwell or Cartwright. Can see why people don't like it though.

Don't like Bancroft over Renshaw. Seems far too short-termist for my liking (though I do rate Bancroft)

Justo

Yea I can definitely understand why Bancroft is there and even though I would have kept Renshaw it's not the worst decision but Paine and S Marsh? Why did they bother dropping S Marsh for the Bangladesh tour?

Why not continue the push for young talent that you can build a long term team around? Especially these days when there are actually some decent young guys around (Lehmann, Patterson, Cartright etc)?

As for Paine I'd almost prefer Bancroft keep (even though I'm against the idea). At least he's actually kept in a first class game recently.

Spikey

again, if Wade/Nevill absoutaly could not be picked because one's an out of form **** and the other isn't a ****, then try to tell me

2 Renshaw
6 (+) Bancroft
7 Maxwell/Cartwright

isn't the way to go. Bancroft can't keep? I don't care it's ****ing Tim Paine instead. You still give Bancroft the opportunity to #digin and form partnerships

Last edited:

Starfighter

Can see why people don't like it though.
Good.

He'll probably perform decently and then get another run in the side where he sucks and then get dropped and then recalled randomly again another year later. I can never help but think that he gets picked for reasons other than ability.

Cartwright is a much better long term bet and Staxwell at least provides meme value.

Gnske

Bancroft probably has to be there, but Fmd bat him six and leave Renshaw there.
This, Bancroft at 6 at least would show some sense still exists. And further by keeping them both in, that the edict from last summer where we invest in young players who produce the goods, or other young players who have nothing but intent still applies as more than a knee-jerk reaction to 85.

Imagine being Callum Ferguson watching Darsh's career though.

Loose Cannon

well... trying to be postive,

I'd rather Paine than Wade, for Lyon's sake
Bancroft is looking really good
and SMarsh deserves to be picked more than most of his other selections