• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australian Domestic Season 2017/18

Spikey

This, Bancroft at 6 at least would show some sense still exists. And further by keeping them both in, that the edict from last summer where we invest in young players who produce the goods, or other young players who have nothing but intent still applies as more than a knee-jerk reaction to 85.

Imagine being Callum Ferguson watching Darsh's career though.
I think this is what gets me about the Paine thing. I mean obviously I hate the guy, but this selection also flies directly against what we heard last summer, because Alex Carey does the same **** Paine does and is 7 years younger. Paine's ****ing 33 basically. good heavens. Dan Christian is probably still a smokey to appear

burr

Wow, I'm not quite sure how I feel about this.

A. I don't support the inclusion of Marsh (Maxwell should have been retained).
B. I agree with leaving Renshaw out - it doesn't mean discarding him but clearly he's terribly out of form and, as with Hameed in the England team, you have to take that form into account. Bancroft made a case and deserves it. Renshaw would have been mauled by the England bowlers.
C. The wicket keeper is just a tough one because no-one put their hand up or deserved it. Which is a real shame.

morgieb

Stolen from Twitter:

If Tim Paine gets selected for the Ashes, Australia's current coach will have scored a more recent Sheffield Shield century (Nov '07) than our wicketkeeper (Oct '06).

morgieb

Paine selection makes zero sense to me. He's not young and he's been in and out of his Shield team because he hasn't been playing well.

If you didn't want Nevill, then the best options were to either gamble on Carey (who's a similar sort of player to Paine but much younger) or Bancroft (most in-form of the keeping options). Even Wade makes more sense than Paine.

Gnske

I think this is what gets me about the Paine thing. I mean obviously I hate the guy, but this selection also flies directly against what we heard last summer, because Alex Carey does the same **** Paine does and is 7 years younger. Paine's ****ing 33 basically. good heavens. Dan Christian is probably still a smokey to appear
He's got to be there as a placeholder in the short (or very short) term, it's the least stupid explanation to my mind. In place there until another keeper drinks Gilchrist's blood. He's already taken over in t20s, and the selectors probably don't see Carey as having the juice to do the job in ODIs.

The explanations in the presser tomorrow are going to be a real peach.

the big bambino

Yeah well what do the selectors do? They must be screaming at Wade and Nevill to do something but they both retreat with every match. Then you look around and Carey's dropped his chance too. So do they risk it with Bancroft or go with Paine who isn't such a madman's choice as a desperate one.

For mine marsh would be worse. I mean Paine in desperation but Marsh? Why?

I was posting after the WA NSW match that if the sandgropers picked Bancroft as keeper and he scored runs and didn't stuff up behind the sticks I'd pick him for the test. Well he did and he didn't so I'd pick him as keeper, retain Renshaw and pick someone remotely capable of 10 overs.I don't think Maxwell is that man. So my team would be:

Warner
Renshaw
Khawaja
Smith
Handscomb
Bancroft
Cartwright
Starc
Cummins
Haze
Lyon.

Not that I'm confident in those choices. I'd be praying for Bancroft's keeping, Renshaw to come good and worry about Cartwright's ability with the ball. I am thinking of Christian in his place and that's after I checked for alternatives.

Last edited:

Spikey

I'm not buying that Paine's been picked because Wade/Nevill didn't perform in a couple of games. I can maybe buy it cost Wade a spot because he was in rough shape by the end, but Nevill straight up hasn't been considered imo

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Hate the Renshaw thing - his Test average is currently higher than Marsh's. A few poor games at the start of the season, and you drop him - it's exactly what we used to talk about with Lyon when he got a bit of tap in the Shield. Thought the point that a few people made about Langer putting the heat on Renshaw, when he used to talk about how much he hated that as a player, was a nice touch for the "brown nosed gnome".

Selectors see Paine as the best keeper in the country. You can argue about it, but I think that's basically the theory they've gone with - no difference between any of them batting wise (in their eyes), pick the best gloveman.

Marsh has been decent the past few times he has played, it's just that his body has let him down.

The more that you end up with selections like this, the more that I think that the selection panel is on it's way out. What's Howard's contract situation at the moment, too?

Gnske

Marsh should have been just expected tbh, anything else would have been surprising. But I'd ask why not select Dan Hughes if Marsh can get another gig and we're going weird with it all? Had a similarly gun OD season, had the bonus of being literally memed into the no.6 spot by the national captain to the point that Cowan had to piss off despite his work last summer, and Dan has only managed one less 50 than Marsh this current albeit short FC season. It'd be knee-jerk, but it would show a modicum of forward thinking.

I'm sure he'll do fine though until the inevitable injury.

adub

And in another shock announcement Andrew Hilditch returns as chairman of selectors...

FMD people. I ****ing hate Australian Cricket Selectors.

mr_mister

Last season was the season of trying new things and youngsters

This season were digging deep into the sack for the oldies to get their second and third chance. In the case of Smarsh, his 7th

adub

Nathan Lyon better grab a bagful in Brisbane or he's gonna get dropped for Michael Beer.

Uzi's already been dropped after the 1st Test.