• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australian Domestic Season 2017/18

morgieb

So Marsh's Shield average this season is 39.33.

Maxwell's is 40.00.

So much for Marsh being in superb touch.....

Gnske

Maxwell getting dropped for Marsh is more annoying to me than Paine being picked. With Paine you sense there was desperation. But Marsh has done virtually nothing and certainly nothing more than Maxwell.

These selectors need to be dropped.

Bloody hell.
Read on fox that apparently out of all the choices, going back to Nev would have been a 'loss of face' for the selectors after Hobart.

Really makes me think.

morgieb

Read on fox that apparently out of all the choices, going back to Nev would have been a 'loss of face' for the selectors after Hobart.

Really makes me think.
Jesus christ. That's even worse.

So getting dropped from one series but getting recalled (and about seven times, mind you) is OK but getting dropped from another Test leaves you blacklisted forever?

FMD. The selectors need to go.

Camo999

The selection of Marsh is doubly weird. He contributes nothing with the ball vs Maxwell, Cartwright. You almost could've kept Wade as bowling insurance. If one of the bowlers goes down injured it is game over.

morgieb

Can't help but feel there is a hefty dose of favouritism in Marsh's repeated recalls.
That much was clear after his initial recall despite doing 2/5ths of **** all at Shield level.

In fairness his FC record has genuinely been damn good since that point. And his rocks and diamonds reputation has more been an away from home thing since his recall.

Still think it's a bit of a slap in the face for Maxwell or Cartwright, though.

Starfighter

The selection of Marsh is doubly weird. He contributes nothing with the ball vs Maxwell, Cartwright. You almost could've kept Wade as bowling insurance. If one of the bowlers goes down injured it is game over.
Smitteh could send down his leggies. Shane Warne tells me that he spins the ball up.

Otherwise we'll be treated to the glorious sight of Warner bowling seam up. At least Renshaw's offies look somewhat decent, but we don't have him.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
fwiw I would have liked to see

Warner
Bancroft
Khawaja
Smith
Handscomb
Nevill
Maxwell
Cummins
Starc
Lyon
Hazlewood

quincywagstaff

There's also the fielding factor as Marsh for Maxwell is a big step down, especially as Australia already have to carry Khawaja in the field.

stephen

There is nothing logical or good about this selection. I can only assume that the Australian selectors are under orders to ensure a competitive series.

Spikey

Really makes me think.
This was why last night I was of the view that he wasn't even considered

I'm with PEWS in that I don't really care about the Marsh thing

social

The reaction to the Shaun Marsh selection reminds me of the reaction to Mitchell Johnson's selection in 2013/14. Marsh is an experienced test player, with reasonable success at the level, who has hit excellent form at domestic level. That's the sort of player who we want in the side in order to win an Ashes series. I could be wrong, but I just get the feeling Marsh will deliver more than if any debutant were picked. Having two batsmen debuting at the Gabba would have been very risky IMO. You could make a case for Maxwell, but Marsh seems in supreme touch at the moment so you go him.
IIRC, MJ was a former International Player of the Year and No. 1 ranked bowler in the world

People were against his selection because he had generally lost the plot against the soap dodgers before that series

On the other hand, it's highly debatable as to whether Marsh has ever been the best batsman in his state

TheJediBrah

So Marsh's Shield average this season is 39.33.

Maxwell's is 40.00.

So much for Marsh being in superb touch.....
Damn I didn't even know this. Haven't watched the Shield, just the ODI tournament and thought Marsh must have been in ridiculous form

Smitteh could send down his leggies. Shane Warne tells me that he spins the ball up.

Otherwise we'll be treated to the glorious sight of Warner bowling seam up. At least Renshaw's offies look somewhat decent, but we don't have him.
most bowlers do this don't they? Ball hits the pitch then goes up?

Last edited:

SeamUp

I know it is another debate but I can't see them going to Wade for ODIs either now. So who keeps in the ODI's. Did this selection have any bearing on it because I doubt Nevill and or Carey were up for ODI selection & they definitely not going to stay with Wade either ?