• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australian Domestic Season 2017/18

quincywagstaff

Had to chuckle that Hohns is using Marsh's domestic OD form as justification for bringing him back into the Test side. Reminds me of how he was considered in top form leading into the 11/12 India series on the basis of a big score in the BBL.

TimAngas

The reaction to the Shaun Marsh selection reminds me of the reaction to Mitchell Johnson's selection in 2013/14. Marsh is an experienced test player, with reasonable success at the level, who has hit excellent form at domestic level. That's the sort of player who we want in the side in order to win an Ashes series. I could be wrong, but I just get the feeling Marsh will deliver more than if any debutant were picked. Having two batsmen debuting at the Gabba would have been very risky IMO. You could make a case for Maxwell, but Marsh seems in supreme touch at the moment so you go him.

Burgey

Yeah but he's always in "supreme touch" mate, then he fails miserably for a test and a half before making one score to save his arse then getting injured. There was no need to debut two blokes in Brisbane if Renshaw stayed and Bancroft batted six, or alternatively if they kept one of Cartwright or Maxwell.

FMD, maybe George Bailey really isn't out of the equation given how they're going back in time and using form in other formats to pick blokes.

It's a joke. Marsh dead set must have pics of the selectors. What a ****ing farce. The only way he will perform consistently is if you let him start every dig on 20 not out. How many times does a bloke have to show he isn't cut out for the format before he's let go?

This whole episode also makes me miss The Prince even more. Would that he'd been able to have all the chances Marsh has been given to prove himself.

Justo

The reaction to the Shaun Marsh selection reminds me of the reaction to Mitchell Johnson's selection in 2013/14. Marsh is an experienced test player, with reasonable success at the level, who has hit excellent form at domestic level. That's the sort of player who we want in the side in order to win an Ashes series. I could be wrong, but I just get the feeling Marsh will deliver more than if any debutant were picked. Having two batsmen debuting at the Gabba would have been very risky IMO. You could make a case for Maxwell, but Marsh seems in supreme touch at the moment so you go him.
Its stupid when compared to the selections from last year and that he was dropped from the Bangladesh tour. Last year Renshaw, Maddinson and Handscomb were all selected on the basis of youth and building up for the long term. S Marsh was returned for the Indian tour as a horses for courses selection (it wasn't a bad pick IMO) but then after struggling was dropped and should have been left in the wings for someone younger. Had he done well there'd be no reason to drop him but as always he's inconsistent.

S Marsh has been in supreme touch in the Shield for a few years now but it doesn't change that he's generally always average to poor at Test level. Given how strong we are at the Gabba and Adelaide it really was an opportunity to go with pretty much anyone else and if they truly struggled call up S Marsh for the Perth test.

Combine that with the selection of Tim Paine and the selectors IMO don't seem to have any real plan at all. I'd almost prefer Handcomb keep if the other options are regarded as being so bad ffs (I'd have just gone with Nev though).

quincywagstaff

Like I said in another thread, my big issue with Marsh isn't his batting Test record (which isn't great) but his physical well-being. He just constantly gets injured and has on two occasions in Tests gotten injured during Tests and especially now with no runners, that's a major issue. I can even remember when he was a ODI player in the late 2000s he was doing hamstrings and getting injured on a regular basis.

For whatever reason whether he's not fit enough or a rickety body to think he'll last a full 5 Tests (and not get injured during one of them) now that he's in his mid-30s is a major risk.

Gnske

“His batting form in recent outings for the Cricket Australia XI and Tasmania has been good.”
You mean that 50 he scored for the CA XI and the other 50 that he only managed after the coach literally prevented the team from winning just so Paine could score runs free of pressure?

Wewwwwwwwww

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Meh I wouldn't have picked Marsh but it's not a disgraceful call. I don't think there's much in it between him, Maxwell and Cartwright in all honesty. I'm much more annoyed about Renshaw being dropped.

mr_mister

16 out of his 42 innings he has been dismissed for scores under 5

even recently in India where he was meant to be our best player of spin 4 of his 8 innings were scores under 5.

6 were under 20. His two fifties were handy but they don't cover up the fact he's very likely to fail whenever he walks out to bat, which means I'm backing him to fail again come the Gabba

The dude is not a test batsman.

Last edited:

stephen

Bloody hell. I only just saw the selections. There is nothing right about this at all.

Renshaw shouldn't have been dropped.
Maxwell shouldn't have been dropped.
Marsh should never have been recalled.
Paine is the second worst selection in my lifetime (behind Maddinson).

The only positive out of this is that Sayers was given some love.

I'm so angry right now that I'm almost ready to scream. What kind of morons are the selectors? They're shattering the confidence of two potential stars in Renshaw and Maxwell on the basis of nothing. They're picking two 34 year olds on the basis of nothing.

They literally made the worst possible decisions.

FFS the Marsh selection is just absolute tripe. It's so bloody bad I'm now calling for the selectors heads. What the hell has he done to deserve selection.

Mark bloody Waugh made 4 ducks in a row in Sri Lanka but didn't get dropped. Renshaw has a couple of bad shield games (where he was still able to occupy the crease) and gets discarded.

I'm going to go into an ashes series rooting for an Aussie batsman to fail.

FFS it would have been better to recall bloody Hartley who actually deserves some tests than to pick bloody Paine.

Gnske

16 out of his 42 innings he has been dismissed for scores under 5

even recently in India where he was meant to be our best player of spin 4 of his 8 innings were scores under 5.

6 were under 20. His two fifties were handy but they don't cover up the fact he's very likely to fail whenever he walks out to bat, which means I'm backing him to fail again come the Gabba

The dude is not a test batsman.
He's a man with good test innings' within him but not a test career.

mr_mister

Yeah I agree. Maxwell showed with his ton on recall that he's the same. He's also got a bunch of unconverted starts since then but at least he gets past 5.

what annoys me the most he hasnt got to bat on an Aussie road yet

Last edited:

stephen

Yeah I agree. Maxwell showed with his ton on recall that he's the same. He's also got a bunch of unconverted starts since then but at least he gets past 5.

what annoys me the most he hasnt got to bat on an Aussie road yet
Maxwell getting dropped for Marsh is more annoying to me than Paine being picked. With Paine you sense there was desperation. But Marsh has done virtually nothing and certainly nothing more than Maxwell.

These selectors need to be dropped.

Bloody hell.