• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australian flight safety

Spark

Global Moderator
Yeah I've talked to a few (granted, American) pilots/mechanics and a lot of them say "Airbus = scarebus" for that exact reason, you have no idea what the ****ing plane is going to do sometimes.

Last edited:

Top_Cat

It's fair that you point out they're American, fair bit of xenophobia involved "If it's not Boeing, I ain't going", etc., made worse that the Airbus is French (mon dieu!). AA587's crash didn't help matters either, several AA pilots utterly refused to get type-rated for Airbus's in response and went public.

Top_Cat

Flying at night by itself is pretty scary sometimes. Can only imagine the terror they went through being over water at night, plane pitching and rolling at will with cockpit alarms going nuts.

Last edited:

Spark

Global Moderator
It's fair that you point out they're American, fair bit of xenophobia involved "If it's not Boeing, I ain't going", etc., made worse that the Airbus is French (mon dieu!). AA587's crash didn't help matters either, several AA pilots utterly refused to get type-rated for Airbus's in response and went public.
To be fair the story of an Airbus executing a totally uncommanded go-around at random made me raise an eyebrow. Don't know if true, obviously, anecdotal and all.

Top_Cat

To be fair the story of an Airbus executing a totally uncommanded go-around at random made me raise an eyebrow. Don't know if true, obviously, anecdotal and all.
Raised eyebrow here too, find it difficult to believe. Doing a go-around isn't just one button.

Spark

Global Moderator
Raised eyebrow here too, find it difficult to believe. Doing a go-around isn't just one button.
Apparently the first words out of the pilot's mouth were "what the ****?"

It was a long, long time ago that I read it though, would be impossible to dig up now.

As for the above - different issue, isn't it? Runway incursions and the like the curse of almost all big airports, I think.

Last edited:

Top_Cat

Yeah, of course. Depends on what caused the incursion but that Emirates is involved again might encourage the ATSB to have a closer look. Emirates pilots who train here have a rep as party animals who, shall we say, enjoy the freedom of being away from prying eyes so there's a perception they're a bit loose with stuff like airmanship and rest periods.

Mind you, Emirates have never had a fatal accident.

Last edited:

Top_Cat

Yeh, surprising number of people don't realise what QANTAS stands for. You'd think some ****s have never been to a quiz night.

Last edited:

Quaggas

Crazy stuff. I remember being allowed to take off in a Cessna and thinking that the runway was waaay to far left before I'd even cleared the end of it. I declined the opportunity to land the damn thing. :wacko: