• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Batting Outside of The Crease

Marcuss

What are the disadvantages to it?

Currently watching the ENG/NZ Test and both Williamson and Brownlie are well back in their crease to the English seam bowlers.

Now I appreciate that Anderson, Broad and Finn are a little bit quicker than the stuff I face on a Saturday but are there any advantages besides just giving yourself an extra yard of time?

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
The main advantage to batting deep in your crease, as you said, is just giving yourself a fraction of a second longer to pick up the ball and get into position.

Staying deep also gives you more opportunities to play off the back foot. You make the bowler's natural length slightly shorter, which for someone like Brownlie who scores a lot of runs on the cut gives him more scoring opportunities.

I'm sure you're aware of the advantages to batting out of your crease - nullifies sideways movement, gives you more drive balls, makes you less likely to be given lbw - but there are two sides to the coin.

Marcuss

The main advantage to batting deep in your crease, as you said, is just giving yourself a fraction of a second longer to pick up the ball and get into position.

Staying deep also gives you more opportunities to play off the back foot. You make the bowler's natural length slightly shorter, which for someone like Brownlie who scores a lot of runs on the cut gives him more scoring opportunities.

I'm sure you're aware of the advantages to batting out of your crease - nullifies sideways movement, gives you more drive balls, makes you less likely to be given lbw - but there are two sides to the coin.
Yep, which is why I always do it myself. Spend half my life on slow, low pitches against trundlers who hoop it.

It just seemed that with how deep Williamson and Brownlie were, they couldn't effectively go any further back into the crease. I mean, I realise it turns more balls into 'short balls' effectively but if you can't actually get onto the back foot to hook/pull for fear of treading on your stumps perhaps you're a bit too deep?

I can see why it might have some use against someone like Finn but against someone like Broad it's asking for trouble because if he pushes the fuller one up there with a bit of away movement you're going to be in danger.

slowfinger

Personally, I think that batting in the crease isn't worth the risk of stepping onto your stumps, unless you are particularly agile on the back foot. 50/50 inside/outside the crease seems to be the most sensible way of playing, but, like I saw playing for a 2nd XI on Saturday, if the ball is moving ridiculously, I'd suggest coming a bit forward, even if the ball is quick. As said above, the swing nullification is definitely worth the millisecond less you have to see the ball, unless the keeper is standing up.