• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Batting strategy

stephen

I've noticed in this world cup a subtle shift in batting strategy. It used to be that most sides would aim to be somewhere between 1-75 and 1-90 after 15 overs. This world cup has seen 1-40 after 10 being a par score, with sides attempting to be around 2-160 at the 30 over mark.

What specifically has caused this slower run rate in the early game?

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
I think a lot of it is down to the fact that the bowlers of today are just a lot better on the whole than they were in previous tournaments.

Burgey

Variable conditions too. You get overcast conditions with a bit in the deck and two new balls, sides are a bit more cautious. The games where sides have gone berserk have been when the suns out on the smaller/ flatter grounds.

I’m frothing to see England cop an overcast day with the ball moving. They’ll be all out 80 (Root 45*).

trundler

Variable conditions too. You get overcast conditions with a bit in the deck and two new balls, sides are a bit more cautious. The games where sides have gone berserk have been when the suns out on the smaller/ flatter grounds.

I’m frothing to see England cop an overcast day with the ball moving. They’ll be all out 80 (Root 45*).
Woakes will troll 20 off the other 35. Barstow, Roy, Morgan, Stokes - all gone for ducks.

mr_mister

For what's it worth I noticed in the BBL just passed that teams were settling for 6-7 runs an over during the powerplay - their main goal seemed to be not losing any wickets.

I guess focusing extra hard on conserving wickets so you can go full Morgan in the final 15 overs is the new trend. The windies may have went too early against Bangladesh and then didn't have the big hitters left in the shed to really make a dent in the final 5 overs

Last edited:

Starfighter

I reckon the pitches have not been quite as good for batting as forecast. Very little movement, yes, but the pace always seems to be a little off.