• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Battle of the Frontmen II

cpr

Right, I'm throwing my hat into the ring to run another battle, hopefully i'll actually finish this one (or I can claim its been tragically cut short before it can complete its legacy, much like many of the nominee's!)

Its been 3 years since the first one, so about time we put the Axl Rose v Thom Yorke tossfest to bed.

The rules are as follows:

A frontman is anyone who can percievably lead the band, doesn't have to be the singer, or indeed a man. Noel Gallagher would be considered an Oasis frontman for example, as would Ritchie Blackmore for Rainbow. Bear in mind were looking at their record with the band, so if the persons more famous for solo work, then thats irrelevant.

5 Nominations per person
5 Seconds

(in the style of High Fidelity, i think a top 5 is appropriate)

Numbers to be decided, i'm happy with however many we've got at the end of the week (will look to start it on or after Easter Monday, or when the CW forumer WC starts, whichever is the later). Format depends on the amount of entrants.

Battles will be on a 24 hour basis (until I forget), no mercy rule.

Nominations to be given in the following format (makes it easier for me to pick them out and sort)

Name - Bands... know half of you will put the band first, and that makes it difficult to copy/paste into a spreadsheet.... So if i miss an artist, and you've put it in the wrong format, then don't blame me

Anyway, here are the latest nominations and seconds:

Seconded
Axl Rose ( Guns N Roses )
Billy Corgan ( The Smashing Pumpkins )
Bruce Dickinson ( Iron Maiden )
Eddie Vedder ( Pearl Jam )
Freddie Mercury ( Queen )
Guy Garvey ( Elbow )
Ian McCulloch ( Echo & The Bunnymen, Electrafixion )
John Lennon ( The Beatles )
Kurt Cobain ( Nirvana )
Michael Stipe ( REM )
Mick Jagger ( Rolling Stones )
Morrissey ( The Smiths )
Ozzy Osbourne ( Black Sabbath )
Trent Reznor ( Nine Inch Nails )
Vince Neil ( Motley Crue )

Nominated
Ben Folds ( Ben Folds Five )
Damon Albarn ( Blur )
Dave Mustaine ( Megadeth )
Erik Schrody ( House of Pain )
Goran Bregovic ( Weddings & Funerals Orchestra )
Henry Rollins ( Black Flag )
Jacoby Shaddix ( Papa Roach )
James Hetfield ( Metallica )
Jarvis Cocker ( Pulp )
Joe Elliot ( Def Leppard )
Joe Strummer ( The Clash )
Johnny Rotten ( Sex Pistols/Public Image )
Liam Gallagher ( Oasis )
Liam Howlett ( The Prodigy )
Neil Hannon ( The Divine Comedy )
Nick Cave ( Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds, Grinderman, The Birthday Party )
Rob Halford ( Judas Priest )
Robert Plant ( Led Zeppelin )
Roger Daltrey ( The Who )
Ronnie James Dio ( Black Sabbath, Rainbow, Dio )
Thom Yorke ( Radiohead )
Tim Booth ( James )
Zack de la Rocha ( Rage Against The Machine )

Last edited:

Teja.

Global Moderator
Nominate

Mick Jagger - The Rolling Stones
Thom Yorke - Radiohead
Robert Plant - Led Zeppelin
Roger Daltrey - The Who
Damon Albarn - Blur

Last edited:

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
W. Axl Rose (Guns N' Roses)
Liam Gallagher (oasis, Beady Eye)
Johnny Rotten (Sex Pistols, Public Image Ltd*)

*i think

So how are we running it to decide which of these three win?

cpr

My 5 nominations to start us off

Eddie Vedder - Pearl Jam
Axl Rose - Guns N Roses
Tim Booth - James
Bruce Dickinson - Iron Maiden
Zack de la Rocha - Rage Against The Machine

cpr

Givin Corrin an extra nomination, as I'm struggling to choose no 5 for my list, so i'll take Axl as my nom, and have GIMHs as a second.

salman85

My 5 nominations :

Freddie Mercury (Queen)
Axl Rose (Guns n Roses)
John Lennon (Beatles)
Joe Strummer (The Clash)
Joe Elliot (Def Leppard)

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Nominate:

Nick Cave (Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds, Grinderman, The Birthday Party)
Morrissey (The Smiths)
Michael Stipe (REM)
Guy Garvey (Elbow)
Ian McCulloch (Echo & The Bunnymen, Electrafixion)

Stipe is the most compelling idiot dancer since Ian Curtis, Cave is an intense fury, all knee-drops and burning anguish, Garvey by far the funniest and best raconteur of any front man I've seen live, Morrissey has an amazingly powerful presence and absolutely commands the stage but McCulloch is hands down the best live singer I've ever heard.

cpr

So GIMH wastes his extra nomination, thats what you get for being polite I suppose

Salman, Axl Rose is nominated and seconded, so you've got another pick. (indeed the former Bill Bailey is the only man through so far ..... Corrin, shall we call this one now ;) )

Himannv

Seconding:
Bruce Dickinson - Iron Maiden
Mick Jagger - The Rolling Stones
John Lennon - Beatles
Freddie Mercury - Queen

Axl Rose Nominated at least thrice so not sure if he needs a second here.

Despite having no confidence in the CW market for these frontmen;

Nominating:
James Hetfield - Metallica
Rob Halford - Judas Priest

salman85

So GIMH wastes his extra nomination, thats what you get for being polite I suppose

Salman, Axl Rose is nominated and seconded, so you've got another pick. (indeed the former Bill Bailey is the only man through so far ..... Corrin, shall we call this one now ;) )
My bad.

I'll nominate Ozzy Osbourne.

Piss poor singer,but one of the greatest showmen in rock history.

Teja.

Global Moderator
Seconding

Steve Morrissey (The Smiths)
Michael Stipe (REM)
Kurt Cobain (Nirvana)
Ozzy Osbourne

I don't particularly rate Ozzy's work after but I love me some Sabbath. Reckon the much underrated Iommi has as much or even more, if you ask me, to do with Sabbath's success but Ozzy was great too.

jan

Cant nominate some of my most favourite musicians as they have no distinctive frontman in their bands, dang! But here is my selection:

Liam Howlett - The Prodigy
Erik Schrody - House of Pain
Trent Reznor - Nine Inch Nails
Goran Bregović - Weddings and Funerals Orchestra
Billy Corgan - The Smashing Pumpkins

salman85

Seconding

Steve Morrissey (The Smiths)
Michael Stipe (REM)
Kurt Cobain (Nirvana)
Ozzy Osbourne

I don't particularly rate Ozzy's work after but I love me some Sabbath. Reckon the much underrated Iommi has as much or even more, if you ask me, to do with Sabbath's success but Ozzy was great too.
Iommie was the brain behind Sabbath.More than Ozzy i'd say,but it's incredible how the band lost appeal after him even though people like Dio and Gillan were light years ahead as vocalists.Kind of shows you hard it's to top the original frontman.For example Sammy was a better singer than Dave Lee Roth,but Van Halen will always be David Lee Roth and Eddie.

Which reminds,it's about time someone nominated Dio,Roth and Gillan.No discussion of frontmen can be complete without them.

Last edited:

Himannv

Will use up my last second to bring in Vince Neil (Motley Crue).

Nominate:
Dave Mustaine (Megadeth)
Ronnie Dio (Black Sabbath, Dio, Rainbow)