• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Breaking News* Contract System details

chaminda_00

IRL there are players who have played international cricket and aren't in their clubs' first XI. Simply playing international cricket does not make you a valuable asset to your club, especially when you're unproven at both international and domestic level. Fidel Edwards would not get a more lucrative contract than an experienced domestic cricketer simply because he played internationals.
One example i could think of is Cook who would get played more then an experienced player at Essex even though his not really a regular in the One Day team, due to the fact he plays Tests.

Mr Mxyzptlk

One example i could think of is Cook who would get played more then an experienced player at Essex even though his not really a regular in the One Day team, due to the fact he plays Tests.
Cook scored heavily for Essex before he was called up for England. He certainly was more accomplished than Goughy. That's a very poor example.

chaminda_00

Cook scored heavily for Essex before he was called up for England. He certainly was more accomplished than Goughy. That's a very poor example.
Wasn't Goughy one of the Top 10 One Day bowlers before he was called up. He was taking a lot of wickets before he was called up as well. Like Cook he hardly played any matches in the other form, but was one of the best players in another, which resulted in a call. There a lot similar then you think.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Wasn't Goughy one of the Top 10 One Day bowlers before he was called up. He was taking a lot of wickets before he was called up as well. Like Cook he hardly played any matches in the other form, but was one of the best players in another, which resulted in a call. There a lot similar then you think.
So was Ryan Dunn. In fact, Dunn was arguably higher up the ladder in terms of successful OD bowlers.

Kev Goughy had one 4-wicket haul and best bowling figures of 4-50 in List-A before debuting for the CW XI. Alastair Cook scored a double hundred against Australia before he debuted for England. Cook had 35 FC matches, 6 hundreds and 15 fifties. Cook had 2 and a half seasons of experience. Cook scored 5 hundreds and 6 fifties in 17 games the season before he debuted. There's a huge difference in accomplishments.

It's a poor example and doesn't help your point at all.

chaminda_00

Well i could get into numerous examples of Bangladesh and Sri Lanka players who get their status and contract upgraded after an international experience regardless of the low number of matches they might play compared to experienced players e.g Kapugedura got paid more then Chamara Silva going into last season. If you want better examples, just pointing out how inexperienced players who only play one form would get a higher contract then experiened players who might play both forms.

But the point is that a players international status should play a greater role. Someone who gets a central contract is theory is getting paid quite a bit more then your average domestic player and it should be shown in their salary.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Well i could get into numerous examples of Bangladesh and Sri Lanka players who get their status and contract upgraded after an international experience regardless of the low number of matches they might play compared to experienced players
And Goughy is 2 levels above the lowest. It's not like he's scratching the bottom. He's middle of the pack due to being very much unproven. If you want to discuss this further, appeal it.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Is Clapham centrally contracted then?

The point is, if someone is that good that they're centrally contracted after 1 season, they're not going to lowly paid.

chaminda_00

Is Clapham centrally contracted then?

The point is, if someone is that good that they're centrally contracted after 1 season, they're not going to lowly paid.
In turn if someone is good enough to make a national squad, his not going to be one of the lowest paid players in the country. Regardless of how inexperienced they are.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Guess so.

A 1 year rookie who gets a central contract would be the likes of a Ponting, Tendulkar etc though.

There's supposed to be an appeals process in place - not heard anything yet though (except that you've been told you can appeal something which has already been appealed)

Johnners

Mr Towns' computer is currently being fixed i beleive. May be part of the reason the appeals are being held up?

chaminda_00

One question is the appeal process just to appeal one players salary or to appeal a trend that someone feels needs to be looked at?

Personally it doesn't really bother me if Player A has a cheaper salary then someone else, good luck to him and his club. I just think there needs to be greater impact overall on a players salary in regards to central contract or a players international status. It just seems that the current salaries are based a little bit too much on domestic performances and matches, with little impact of their international performances. Just something i think needs to be looked at in future atleast.

Mr Mxyzptlk

One question is the appeal process just to appeal one players salary or to appeal a trend that someone feels needs to be looked at?
Appeals are made on a player by player basis. The large majority of the ratings are acceptable by the large majority of people.