• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

censorship criteria at cricketweb

royGilchrist

I have many concerns about the censorship standards here, I would like to know how everyone else sees it.

First of all is there any kind of written code, I could not find it if its there. This is a reasonably large site and very well organized, and I think it deserves some kind of guidelines for censorship. It should not be just personal opinion of moderators on a case by case basis.

Secondly and more importantly the censorship should be minimalist. Power is a cool thing to have but the lesser it is exercised the better. Since I have been here, I have seen many instances when content was unnessarily cenosred. Almost feels like we are being ruled by military dictators or something (not that thats a bad thing ;)

Anyways, if I'm in the minority and others dont think that way then I guess its fine.

Andre

Was my closing of the threads - elitist ones - over the top? I'm willing to re-open iot if good reason is given

lord_of_darkness

Cricket Web XI Moderator
It had no swear words in it , we werent indirectly abusing anyone , it was just good off topic fun for some grouped ppl

Simon

WCC Staff
There werent any problems with our thread, except it was useless banter. But every thread in the off topic section is.
Some people have no sense of humor (neil and andre), the power has gotten to you, Andre you only closed the thread to show that you are a moderator and can do whatever you like.

royGilchrist

Was my closing of the threads - elitist ones - over the top? I'm willing to re-open iot if good reason is given
Andre, the problem that I have is that no good reason was given to close those threats.

LOD has kind of summed it up well.

It should be all about freedom of speech, keeping within reasonable limits ofcourse, and refraining from profanities, religious or other personal insults.

I still think we should make some kind of guidelines for censorship, all of us can give ideas, moderators and administrators can accept or reject points and then maybe Top_Cat can compile and edit them into soemthing that looks decent.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
At the end of the day guys, it's far more relaxed here than at other forums most of us came from (cg) - I agree perhaps the closing was a bit early, but at the end of the day, the mods are in charge!

Andre

broncoman, I think what you said to me was quite unnessary due to the fact you really have no idea who i am or what my sense of humour is like. I accept the above reasons and the threads will be re-opened.

But, however, the power has no gotten to my head and i find that quite a harsh and unneeded comment. like i said, if you have any problems email me rather than make a mockery of me.

i was doing what i felt was in the best interests of cricket web. i apologise to those whom may be annoyed by my decision but there is no harm done and it is reversed.

in saying this, the prior posters have warranted reason for me to re-open the thread. i am not power hungry and certainly not without a sense of humour.

cheers
Andre

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Well said Andre - I've personally never had a problem with any of the mods on here (even Neil :lol:) as I think they are acting in the best way they see fit - those 2 over/under threads are just a bit of a joke, but could get out of hand (remember my warning that any inferior poster going in the over thread will be mercilessly insulted)

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Good that we've got that cleared up then...

We probably ought to get a written code of conduct set up as because of the growth of the site, it's getting past the point where we all know each other and can see what they're thinking even if it wasn't the wording of what was posted.

And if Marc doesn't have a problem with me, then I think I'm doing OK :)

It's a very difficult balance to keep between control and freedom of expression and IMO we've got it about right currently, any feedback like this is welcom in my books though, it's what democracy's about!

[Edited on 9/11/02 by Neil Pickup]

lord_of_darkness

Cricket Web XI Moderator
Yea it was a bit wrong there what simon a.k.a broncoman said to andre , im saying sorry on behalf of him ,

Sorry andre but i recognize that you are only doing your duty here mainting a certain order but as people said if the order was let a bit more free here that would be nice

But anyway all you mods are doing quite well ,

Except Neil with some random bans ;) :P :lol: well he knows im kidding

Andre

Thanks Reuben,
Aprreciated. We will sort out a 'code of conduct' for the site between the staff. :)

Simon

WCC Staff
Andre im sorry if what i said upset you, i never planned on saying those things and i reget doing so now.
You guys are in charge for a reason and i will accept any decisions like this you make in the future again.
Cheers.
Simon

Andre

Thanks Simon,
I'd like to think we can leave this where it belongs now - in the past.

Cheers
Andre