• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Chairmen's Trophy (New Zealand and Holland in CWLand)

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Nnanden said:
...and the rest of the non-Colts. But you know, whatever.

Hopefully I`ll make use of yet another chance. Does Neil being captain mean I automatically go to number eleven? :p
It bloody well should!

cbuts

pleased to be back in the team, no body ever likes carrying the drinks, but can def understand that for the world cup weneed a good squad of players who are at the top form. lets crush the kiwis boys

AUST_HiTMaN

Loony BoB said:
Very much looking forward to this opportunity. :)
Agree with those comments.

Must say it's highly surprising to get rotated back in, however I hope to put in a solid performance and turn the recent efforts in 1D around.

kears_falcon_9

Good luck to the new boys. Hope you can grasp your oppurtunity as i clearly didnt hehe :D. Especially to towns its well deserved.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Slats4ever said:
woah the cw's rotation policy.... makes things interesting. no spot is safe
I'd say it's more a case of keeping everyone involved with a view towards clinching places in the squad - it's unfair on players to be out of the XI and not given a chance to prove themselves in this sort of tournament.

I'd think that the selectors have the first choice XI in mind at this point, and are looking at contingency plans.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Scorecard
Ball by Ball

Cricket Web XI vs New Zealand
Game 6 - CWBCC Stadium

A mixed return to international cricket for Dave Watt resulted in a Man of the Match award and victory by 7 runs for the Cricket Web XI. Watt scored an unbeaten 37, then took 3 crucial wickets to seal the result.

The Webheads elected to bat first after Neil Pickup won the toss. Early progress was quickly stunted, however, as Ash Chaulk was run out in the first over. When Rob Dauth was caught behind off Shane Bond soon after, the score read a shaky 23-2.

Chris Butler joined Daniel Towns and the two decided the best measure of reconciliation to be attack. Both batsmen played with great fluency against the New Zealand seamers, and the score raced along to 101-2 at the end of the 15th over.

In an effort to halt the momentum, Stephen Fleming turned to the spin of Daniel Vettori. He was immediately rewarded, and both Butler and Towns perished in Vettori's first over. When he followed up with the wicket of Dinu DeSilva, it seemed the spinner was set to tear through the Cricket Web XI batting.

Scott Styris then snared Sean Fuller with a slower ball and the Webheads were struggling at 138-6.

As is his title, Marc Robbins charged to the rescue once again. The veteran batsman looked in fine form for his 39 off 36 balls, but was the second victim of four run outs in the innings. Contributions from Rose, Patrick and Pickup were useful, but it was the careful innings of Watt that held things together in an unlikely score of 253-9.

Having achieved a decent score to bowl at, the Webheads took to the field energetic once more. They consolidated with the early wicket of Fleming, caught sharply at second slip off Nath Patrick.

Nathan Astle and Hamish Marshall then began to forge a strong partnership for the second wicket. The stand seemed as though it would swing the game entirely the way of the Kiwis, but at 122, captain Pickup came to the rescue with Marshall's wicket.

In perhaps his best bowling form, the ginger legspinner followed up with the wicket of Astle to open the game up once more at 169-3.

Fuller then seized his opportunity to make his first substantial contribution at international level. Bowling a steady line and length with clever changes of pace, the allrounder claimed the wickets of Peter Fulton and Scott Styris relatively cheaply.

The requirement was then 70 runs off the final 57 deliveries of the innings, with 5 wickets intact. Some 16 runs were procured of the next 2 overs, then Watt was recalled to the attack, only to surrender 13 from his first over back.

A 2-run over from Fuller gave Pickup the courage to try Watt again for the 46th, and he was rewarded with the first of a 3-wicket burst. Joined by Patrick, the death bowling was full, straight and largely impressive. Bond and Mason collected a six each in the final two overs, but could only score 7 of the required 14 off Watt's final over of the innings.

Cricket Web XI 253-9 (50 overs)
DP Towns 48, MJ Robbins 39, DJ Watt 37*
DL Vettori 3-48

New Zealand 246-9 (50 overs)
NJ Astle 87, HJH Marshall 46, RL Taylor 29
DJ Watt 3-53, NL Patrick 2-47, NS Pickup 2-54

Cricket Web XI won by 7 runs.

Man of the Match: DJ Watt - 37*, 3-53

Last edited by a moderator:

Blewy

Well a couple of wins, but not overly convincing...

Batting has been solid, everyone chipping in here and there but nobody is stepping up with that big score... Bowling has been good defending moderate totals...

FaaipDeOiad

Great win. New Zealand are a tough side, and we've really outplayed them this series. Happy to grab a couple of wickets myself after another failure with the bat, also. Even more pleased to keep it tight in the later overs.

Final coming up now?

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Exciting stuff. Good job by a virtual second XI, but you made it a little too hard for yourself!

Last edited:

Robertinho

Good stuff. Good to see the big Bustling 'Watta' getting in the wickets (albeit lower order ones), and Fullerinho getting a good performance on the board. Still yet to do anything at ODI level.. :(

C'mon C-dub :D

thewizard1o1

Very similar to the game against the Dutch, these games are showing the good depth in CW cricket at the moment. Good to see Watt back in the ODI gray too!

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
Very good challenging win I reckon.

Towns was good on return and was well helped by Buts and Marc. Dave was awesome coming back, three wickets and 37*. Fuller and Pickup bowled really well and I`m glad I could chip in with two. Gotta stop those scorecard Nazis from adding runs onto my final bowling figures as well. Seven runs is just too far. ;)

Mr Mxyzptlk

Nnanden said:
Gotta stop those scorecard Nazis from adding runs onto my final bowling figures as well. Seven runs is just too far. ;)
Reports suggest your hairstyle is at fault.

They say it has too much "flair".