• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cheat on your partner ad

andyc

Am more concerned about the unnecessary capitalisation in it, tbh. Hate seeing that.

age_master

Compared to Underbelly it is probably not that bad.

The idea of encouraging people to have affairs is disgraceful. But it is not limited to this ad, heaps of other ads and TV shows do it, perhaps not quite as overtly, but they encourage it nonetheless.

FaaipDeOiad

Does anyone actually think someone is going to go out and have an affair because they saw this ad? It's just a shock marketing campaign, complaining about it makes it more effective.

What's wrong with Underbelly btw? I've only seen the first season but I thought it was pretty good by Australian drama standards at the time. Is it really bad now or something?

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
I've seen it, on Hulu.

Don't have a problem with it. I don't think this ad will really make anyone do anything they weren't already doing/planning on doing.

pasag

RTDAS
Does anyone actually think someone is going to go out and have an affair because they saw this ad? It's just a shock marketing campaign, complaining about it makes it more effective.

What's wrong with Underbelly btw? I've only seen the first season but I thought it was pretty good by Australian drama standards at the time. Is it really bad now or something?
It's not really a shock marketing campaign more the proposition for the entire company (which is in turn pretty smart marketing, has already had a good few articles in The Age a few weeks back and created some buzz). I can't see why it wouldn't be successful, but more in a way where someone was already thinking of it or prone to cheating then this gives them an easy outlet to do so.

Don't think it breaches the ASB guidelines anyways, but even with one complaint it has to go to a ruling even though the company isn't legally bound to it anyways.

Last edited:

Johnners

Mmm I get what they're trying to do, but even if it is achieving exactly what they set out to do, the fact that it was allowed to be aired is a disgrace imo.

Have only seen one episode of the current season, thought it was rubbish, and all I hear from others who have previously watched the show religiously, it's woeful.

pasag

RTDAS
Mmm I get what they're trying to do, but even if it is achieving exactly what they set out to do, the fact that it was allowed to be aired is a disgrace imo.
Who do you mean by "they"?? Who should be stopping it? The TV networks? the industry standards board? The government? What's the case for banning it? I'm not trying to make a point here, just asking.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator

Have only seen one episode of the current season, thought it was rubbish, and all I hear from others who have previously watched the show religiously, it's woeful.
I actually hate the ad - I think it's a disgrace - but I don't think it should be banned as such. It's a poor reflection on our society and indeed human nature really, but sweeping the problem under the rug won't solve anything.

andyc

I actually hate the ad - I think it's a disgrace - but I don't think it should be banned as such. It's a poor reflection on our society and indeed human nature really, but sweeping the problem under the rug won't solve anything.
Have to agree. They're not breaking any laws and the business should definitely be able to exist and all that, but given that this sort of stuff can and does break up families, and impact kids pretty badly, I can't say I'm a fan.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
I think the CEO has made excellent points as to why his dating site exists. I have no problems with his company and he's justified its existence perfectly.

The problem is his reasons for the website, i.e. that people are going to be in affairs anyway and its better for relationships etc. contradicts the idea that his ads are encouraging people to have affairs. Not encouraging people to go to his website IF they want to have affairs. There's a difference.

This ad and company has been debated at length in America. The same reactions will happen here.

Johnners

Who do you mean by "they"?? Who should be stopping it? The TV networks? the industry standards board? The government? What's the case for banning it? I'm not trying to make a point here, just asking.
Sorry, was at work (:unsure:) so didn't really have time to elaborate.

Probably seems quite naive of me to harp on about it without really knowing who it has to pass through before it's aired, but anyway. Without really knowing the industry properly, I would have assumed it has to pass the industry standards board first before they can take it to the TV Networks? Either way, I would have liked to think that either (Industry board/networks) would have rejected the ad on moral grounds, but on reflection, I guess the horse has already bolted in that the networks are already advertising adult chatlines etc. after 11.

Does the standards board have the authority to reject/turn down an advertisement on moral grounds anyway? And where does the government come into play on such matters? If they have any sort of control over what is aired on FTA TV it is pretty poor on their part that it's been allowed as well imo.

Re: Cribbs point re: society and human nature, sadly I agree. However I don't necessarily see banning the ad as sweeping the issue under the carpet (if that's what you were saying?).

pasag

RTDAS
Sorry, was at work (:unsure:) so didn't really have time to elaborate.

Probably seems quite naive of me to harp on about it without really knowing who it has to pass through before it's aired, but anyway. Without really knowing the industry properly, I would have assumed it has to pass the industry standards board first before they can take it to the TV Networks? Either way, I would have liked to think that either (Industry board/networks) would have rejected the ad on moral grounds, but on reflection, I guess the horse has already bolted in that the networks are already advertising adult chatlines etc. after 11.

Does the standards board have the authority to reject/turn down an advertisement on moral grounds anyway? And where does the government come into play on such matters? If they have any sort of control over what is aired on FTA TV it is pretty poor on their part that it's been allowed as well imo.

Re: Cribbs point re: society and human nature, sadly I agree. However I don't necessarily see banning the ad as sweeping the issue under the carpet (if that's what you were saying?).
The industry is self regulated, basically what happens is you put an ad up and if there are any complaints like for example gratuitous violence, discrimination etc then the board will meet and make a ruling as to whether the ad is acceptable or not. If it isn't they ask you to take it down like they did in this case which was then changed to this (love both ads btw). It's up to the company to comply with the ruling, but they usually do. Whether the system works or the government should get involved is up for debate (and was debated a fair bit at the start of the year re: advertising to children iirc).

Kweek

I've seen it, on Hulu.

Don't have a problem with it. I don't think this ad will really make anyone do anything they weren't already doing/planning on doing.
Agree with this....people should make less fuzz about harmless stupid things like this.

LongHopCassidy

If an ad is the thing that pushes you over the line into infidelity, then you've got even bigger problems than being a cheating ****.

Last edited:

Uppercut

Yeah I rather agree. I wouldn't bother wading into the debate about its legality or how appropriate it is because people can do whatever they want. But on a personal level the advert makes me feel physically slightly ill. It's not even remotely sexy! They could at least have made the affair-sex appear appealing.

Last edited:

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I find it pretty disappointing that there's significant demand for a business like this to exist, and even more disappointing that (apparently) an ad like that will attract customers, but it's not up to business or advertising to form our moral guidelines. If there demand is there then I have no problem with an entrepreneur taking advantage of that, but the problem is with the demand itself. Instead of making it harder for people to cheat on their partners and treating it like an illegality, we should see what makes people want to cheat and try to address that issue. As Uppercut said, people should be allowed to do what they want as far as this sort of thing is concerned and although the choices of many disappoint me, it doesn't mean they shouldn't be allowed to make them.

The problem isn't the ad or the business but what it represents about society - getting rid of the ad won't change that and I don't think it's offensive as much as it's an eye-opener.

Last edited:

PhoenixFire

Sounds just like the sort of advertising campaign that was designed to be controversial in order to gain publicity.

Agree with what Whelan said tho.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
I find it pretty disappointing that there's significant demand for a business like this to exist, and even more disappointing that (apparently) an ad like that will attract customers, but it's not up to business or advertising to form our moral guidelines. If there demand is there then I have no problem with an entrepreneur taking advantage of that, but the problem is with the demand itself. Instead of making it harder for people to cheat on their partners and treating it like an illegality, we should see what makes people want to cheat and try to address that issue. As Uppercut said, people should be allowed to do what they want as far as this sort of thing is concerned and although the choices of many disappoint me, it doesn't mean they shouldn't be allowed to make them.

The problem isn't the ad or the business but what it represents about society - getting rid of the ad won't change that and I don't think it's offensive as much as it's an eye-opener.
I really don't see the big deal. A certain percentage of the population, for whatever reason, will have affairs. Instead of using discreet newspaper ads (which many did before), or do something stupider, this is just a place for them to go. It's not going to make anyone have an affair that wouldn't already. Plus, many people have an open marriage type of relationship, and though I don't know the demographics, I bet a significant portion of the client base is probably such people.