• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Chess

Uppercut

I feel like my biggest weakness is regular massive blunders too, but that might just be the way chess is.

I also go on long losing streaks and long winning streaks, though I do that in almost every game I play. Either I tilt badly or my mental sharpness varies a lot.

GotSpin

Favourite openings for everyone?

I'm really enjoying playing the King's Gambit atm

Highly risky but the middle games are so interesting and different

Last edited:

Spark

Global Moderator

As white, Spanish and QGD (still having real trouble against the Slav). As black, KID or Grunfeld (still haven't settled on a consistent reply to 1. e4)

GotSpin

As white, Spanish and QGD (still having real trouble against the Slav). As black, KID or Grunfeld (still haven't settled on a consistent reply to 1. e4)
Yeah Black for me is normally KID or Open Sicilian

QG as white I like as well

Uppercut

Yeah haha you seem to end up in very different games as white than you do as black.

I just go with e4 Nf3 as white. Lots of players at my rating allow the Fried Liver so it picks up a lot of quick wins. Or they play the anti-fried-liver which I think is much better for white.

As black I usually just play Sicilian. I don’t have any tricks as black, but Sicilian usually washes up as a pretty even game.

GotSpin

Yeah haha you seem to end up in very different games as white than you do as black.

I just go with e4 Nf3 as white. Lots of players at my rating allow the Fried Liver so it picks up a lot of quick wins. Or they play the anti-fried-liver which I think is much better for white.

As black I usually just play Sicilian. I don’t have any tricks as black, but Sicilian usually washes up as a pretty even game.
KG is so much fun because its basically a race to checkmate your opponent. Having said that, I've been completely smashed in some of my games using it

Uppercut

Felt good to get one back at uppercut after blundering my queen the match before
Yeah first time facing the King’s Gambit so I didn’t really know what I was doing. Great opening for novelty value.

The game before I managed to get into a mid-game that was easy for me but very sharp for you, so there were a lot of blunders out there. Marcuss has me in an even uglier spot aws.

GotSpin

Yeah first time facing the King’s Gambit so I didn’t really know what I was doing. Great opening for novelty value.

The game before I managed to get into a mid-game that was easy for me but very sharp for you, so there were a lot of blunders out there. Marcuss has me in an even uglier spot aws.
It creates for some fairly exciting chess opening with the KG. So much is happening

Yeah I think I misplaced a pawn and I wasn't able to kick out your knight from a really good position

Marcuss

MG had me worried but there was one move where she gave up a bishop unnecessarily which really gave me a point to capitalise on.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
MG had me worried but there was one move where she gave up a bishop unnecessarily which really gave me a point to capitalise on.
Yeah I should have taken with the pawn or just movd the bishop out of the way but got too greedy. Computer says you played really well too, once you had my rook in a fork it was pretty much game over.

Marcuss

Yeah I should have taken with the pawn or just movd the bishop out of the way but got too greedy. Computer says you played really well too, once you had my rook in a fork it was pretty much game over.
It makes for interesting reading... I wouldn't have picked up on the long term advantage of bxc6 when you used your knight instead.

The two moves that did surprise me were getting greedy with the bishop and then the revenge capture rather than b5 to pressure a6.

honestbharani

You guys are way too into chess for me to pose a realistic challenge of any of you , I think. But I would still love to give it a shot. I am there with the same sn as here. If someone wants to challenge me. I am obviously in India, so the timezones may not always match but it would be good to have a game against any of you lot, especially ones who have not won recently. I am the BD/Zim here, come on. :)

Marcuss

I don't trust myself to look after my queen for long with where it is... that's the sort of stupid **** I can do.