• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Coming in 2009: Battle of the Leaders

cpr

Right, i'm running this one, so the rules will be made up when i can be bothered. Like a true leader, i'll do it my way and **** the rest of you.

Battle of the dictators has been done, but what about those 'Good leaders?' (oxymoron). This competition will sort the men from the boys, crossing time, continents, types of government, even religion.

The qualification process will begin now, with 4 of the top ranked contenders recieving an automatic place in the draw to be held just after I sober up in new year. Expect between now and new year a selection of profiles of some of the top contenders to be posted up (half based on fact, half based on malicious rumours in regard to their football skill I may or may not make up).

Any leader, be it President, Prime Minister, Dictator, Monarch, Military Commander, Pope, Medieval Tyrant are allowed (Premiership Managers are currently negotiating the TV rights for their breakaway league that could start as soon as March).

Unfortunately, at the moment Adolf Hitler is suspended following missed drugs test, his appeal is in to the IOC but not eligible for now.

Already Qualified (hey, I'm a leader, i'm choosing those I feel deserve a spot, my comp!)

Henry VII (England - King)
Duke of Wellington (England - Military/PM)
George Washington (U.S.A. - President)
Mohandas Gandhi (India - Spiritual Leader/Political legend)

Nominations to begin, to be rounded up by Christmas, Limit of 5 Nominations and 5 seconds (obv dont need to second the above), will decide numbers and such when i see the uptake, not adverse to having a massive frist round (thinking, if needs be, 5 in a battle, get 2 votes each round, top 3 go through)

This battle will change your lives

HeathDavisSpeed

Nominate:

Alexander Dubček
Lech Walesa
Václav Havel
Imre Nagy
Vespasian
Bonaventura Durrutì

Last edited:

Burgey

William Pitt (The Younger)
FD Roosevelt
Abraham Lincoln
John Curtin
Thomas Jefferson

Last edited:

cpr

Good nominations so far, even if one or two of Heaths made me think for a sec (Walesa though, what a call). Shall probably give the first update of who's in and not in 24 hours. Keep voting and seconding folks

HeathDavisSpeed

Good nominations so far, even if one or two of Heaths made me think for a sec.
20th Century Eastern European politics was a speciality of mine in my early-mid 20s. Shame I missed the Battle of the Dictators (link, anyone?) really, would have been rooting for Nicolae Ceaucescu.

Can I negative second Helen Clark? :sick:

masterblaster

Barney: "Lord Palmerston"
Wade Boggs: "Pitt The Elder!"

Barney: "That's it Boggs, you asked for it!"

Love that line so much!

Anil

john f. kennedy
martin luther king jnr.
mohandas k. gandhi
nelson mandela
william jefferson clinton
abraham lincoln
franklin d. roosevelt
dalai lama
lal bahadur shastri

Flem274*

123/5
Mao Tse Tung
George Bush
Nandor Tanczos
Stephen Fleming
James
Emperor Caligula aka "little boots"
Alexander the Great
William the Conqueror
El Cid
Sauron
Aragorn
Gandalf
Peregrin Took (becomes Thain (king)o f the Shire you know)
William Wallace
Queen Elizabeth I

More coming when I think of them.

FaaipDeOiad

These require seconds, correct?

I'll second Lincoln, Franklin Roosevelt, Martin Luther King Jr. and John Curtin.

Nominate Gough Whitlam.

Anil

What the hell for? Most over rated American President of all time? I'd say so.

I'd vote Lyndon Baines Johnson well ahead of him. Anyway, more of this debate when the time comes, I guess.
hey it's my choice...i obviously don't consider him overrated...:)