• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

CW Memes

Burgey

I'm going to go a bit philosophical here.

I don't believe in labeling someone a racist, because the moment you label someone something is the moment that you diminish the humanity of the person. By doing so you are denying their very human ability to change. When you stamp someone with a label they will often wear it with pride and the label loses its meaning. Look at how Trumps supporters wore the "deplorable" badge. Look at how America divides itself into those who call themselves woke and those who use the term as a string insult.

In that vain, Gavaskar is not a racist. Gavaskar has racist attitudes. He can change those attitudes. The attitudes should be called out. They are deplorable. Gavaskar's himself has the ability and opportunity for change.

Which is why Trumps opponents should simply refer to him as "The moron" henceforth. If only so his supporters start calling themselves morons.
Probably need to reassess your philosophy tbh

TheJediBrah

I don't believe in labeling someone a racist, because the moment you label someone something is the moment that you diminish the humanity of the person. By doing so you are denying their very human ability to change. When you stamp someone with a label they will often wear it with pride and the label loses its meaning. Look at how Trumps supporters wore the "deplorable" badge. Look at how America divides itself into those who call themselves woke and those who use the term as a string insult.

In that vain, Gavaskar is not a racist. Gavaskar has racist attitudes. He can change those attitudes. The attitudes should be called out. They are deplorable. Gavaskar's himself has the ability and opportunity for change.

Which is why Trumps opponents should simply refer to him as "The moron" henceforth. If only so his supporters start calling themselves morons.
I hope your face has the ability to change

the big bambino

Ha you thought your Trump hazing would get you a free pass. Sucks to be you. Btw Sunny would have changed by now if he wanted to.

Gnske

As a proud racist can I just interject here for one moment.

It's true the label of racist is thrown around, but a real racist knows it in his fibre of being, his soul, his (or her) very essence. It's a certainty, it's the triumph of your own will and determination of mind. To label it an attitude is to demean the identity of a true racist.

watson said this in the What Made Your Day thread, I just thought it would be relevant here.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente

wouldn't have bothered if I were you

stephen

wouldn't have bothered if I were you
Yeah I know. Because labels and the status quo are easy. Personal change is hard. Acknowledging that change is possible makes it easier to empathise and harder to hate. But people like to hate. It's easy and convenient and requires no self awareness.

Thankfully attitudes are the easiest thing to change, if one wants to do so.

GoodAreasShane

I highly doubt Gavaskar is either willing or able to change, he's just fundamentally a terrible human being. The racism is bad enough, but his take on David Hookes is easily one of the most vile things I have ever had the misfortune of reading

stephen

I highly doubt Gavaskar is either willing or able to change, he's just fundamentally a terrible human being. The racism is bad enough, but his take on David Hookes is easily one of the most vile things I have ever had the misfortune of reading
Oh yeah I have no respect for him at all. I'm not in any way defending him. Just saying that labeling someone doesn't help, labeling their behavior does.

morgieb

Wait, what?

GoodAreasShane

Yes, tell us more on this GAS.......
When criticising Australian player behavior in general, Gavaskar pretty much implied Hookes brought his murder on himself

Sunil Gavaskar said:
Some day, some other hot-head guy might actually get down and, you know, whack somebody who abuses him. There's the example of the late David Hookes

What a scumbag