• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Eden Park Haterz - Where are those 400 plays 350 affairs on a postal stamp now?

Athlai

Not Terrible
Cool. Let me understand this.. does Eden Park have substantially more swing than other Kiwi grounds? I have been given two points of view till now - a) New Zealand grounds will have high scoring ODIs when I said New Zealand tends to have more seam friendly pitches, b) Eden Park cannot have a 330-360 score. I don't know which is true. If Australia bat against say Sri Lanka, would you back Australia to get a 330 on the ground, if not 350..
Na you're just misinterpreting the Kiwi posters argument. They aren't saying a high score is impossible, they are rallying against people who are condemning the short boundaries (and implying that the only score possible is 350-400). No Kiwi thinks you can't have a high scoring match there. The argument is that since it swings you can get a variety of matches there.

In terms of offering swing, historically not really, but in the last four years or so, I'd personally be inclined to say it offers a little more than anywhere else.

Flem274*

123/5
the ODI pitches don't usually seam but have good pace and carry, so if you're a swing bowler who can use the NZ atmosphere you have everything you need.

it means you can have 300 v 300 one week and both sides struggling for 200 the next depending on the quality of batting and bowling.

eden park is awesome for white ball swing bowling. the short straight boundary even helps imo, because it tempts them into expansive drives. dropping short is suicide there though.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Australia started off wildly in that game, so I was pretty sure they would get 350 there, and was even looking at 400 if it carried on. A few matches have produced high scoring matches. Teams are crossing 350 and reaching 400, so it isn't as if it isn't happening this world cup. I am not sure the shorter boundaries wouldn't add 30 or so runs compared to other grounds. I agree it is possible to have lower scoring games as well, as we have seen in the tourney. This is such a good topic though. I remember there were games in Canada for the Sahara Cup in the late 90s. Those were such small grounds but it was seaming a lot there. It resulted in a lot of low scoring games. They were some of the best ODIs I have seen.

So I completely buy the argument that smaller grounds can have amazing games, as Eden Park has had, over the years. I do think that the combination of the shorter boundary and the modern bats makes 30-40 runs more possible too but it offers some thing interesting with teams having to think differently, so I don't mind it. I would really like the regulations on the bats changed and the boundaries lengthened. People who have made the argument that modern bats are fine (Mark Butcher last week for example), should be asked if sixes have increased or not in modern cricket.

hendrix

Re: swing in NZ.

there's a few things to think about:
1. The wind. NZ wind is very strong, but it's very blustery, it generally doesn't help swing. Places like Wellington tend to need fine days to swing.
2. The heat. Generally, the further North (= warmer), it tends to swing more. Auckland tends to have decent swing, as does Hamilton.
3. The air. Most places in NZ are somewhat humid, but Dunedin at times and Christchurch at times can be dry, at least relatively speaking.

With all that said I have no idea why some venues tend to swing more than others.

Usually swings:
Auckland
Hamilton

Usually doesn't swing:
Napier
Dunedin

Lottery:
Wellington
Christchurch