• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Exciting batsmen

Who is the most exciting batsman in the world?

• Verinder Sehwag

Votes: 4 12.9%
  • Shahid Afridi

Votes: 2 6.5%
  • Andrew Flintoff

Votes: 7 22.6%
  • Adam Gilchrist

Votes: 8 25.8%
  • Sanath Jayasuriya

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Matthew Hayden

Votes: 1 3.2%
  • Sachin Tendulkar

Votes: 2 6.5%
  • Brian Lara

Votes: 3 9.7%
  • Other

Votes: 4 12.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

thierry henry

Relevance????

You may notice that I am only one person. On this forum I go by the name Thierry Henry. Therefore the posts next to my name are the opinions of Thierry Henry. If I offer an opinion on a subject which is entirely subjective, such as this one, then I fail to see what can infuriate you so much.

Craig

World Traveller
Yeah I agree.

I would prefer to see the elegence of Rahul Dravid, VVS Laxman, Herschelle Gibbs and Michael Vaughan then Matt Hayden and Adam Gilchrist.

All good batsmen though.

Linda

This is the problem with subjective areas such as 'exciting' or 'stylish', everyone has a different definitition of them. :rolleyes:
Whats the point...?!

Only one thing theirry harry, when you say its your opinion, thats cool, just maybe dont put 'as i assume most people would', when you say you are only addressing you own opinion.

The problem is, and Im sure Ged will agree, you make it sound as if only Australians like to watch him play, because and only because he scores quick runs, ie 'from a neutral perspective', and richards comment about Aussies adoration of their match winning abilities. Im not having a go at you, just pointing out the areas in which you guys hit the wrong nerve.:cool2:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Linda said:
The problem is, and Im sure Ged will agree, you make it sound as if only Australians like to watch him play, because and only because he scores quick runs, ie 'from a neutral perspective', and richards comment about Aussies adoration of their match winning abilities. Im not having a go at you, just pointing out the areas in which you guys hit the wrong nerve.:cool2:
If I sounded like that I'm sorry, I just meant, by
Another reason Australians so adore Gilchrist and Hayden is because the runs they have have played such large parts in so many Australian victories.
that Australians are always likely to enjoy them more because they enjoy watching Australia win matches.
This is the problem with subjective areas such as 'exciting' or 'stylish', everyone has a different definitition of them. :rolleyes:
Whats the point...?!
In future, I suggest these polls are phrased differently:
Who, in the opinion of the CricketWeb panel, is the...
All agreed? Mr. hoitnik?

Top_Cat

All agreed? Mr. hoitnik?
It's logically redundant to do so. Unless someone can provide objective criteria to 'prove' what demonstrates the 'excitement' level of a batsman, all comments forthwith are subjective. Subjectivity is a big part of 'opinions' so really for all intents and purposes, no matter if someone even tries to tell you so, their writings here will be their opinions anyway.

Sorry if this sounds like a dig (not at all) but I just think you're being a little too generous in your concessions. :) You don't NEED everyone to preface everything they say with "In my opinion...." because not matter what, it will be their opinion anyway.

And, in my opinion (:p), if someone insists you preface your opinions with "In my opinion....", you have my permission as a former scientist who also studied argumentative logic at Uni to tell them where to go. :D

Arrow

My vote is for lara.
When hes at bat i drop everything and enjoy the show.

It seems with age hes lost noticable respect and patience for bowlers and is maturing into a vic richards type hitter,which is something he was far from in the early years.

Its becoming more and more of a common sight to see him hit big over the fielders instead of through them as was his trademark.

Watching him wind up and deposit a spinner into the stands with his flamboyant golf swing drives is a great sight so im not complaining.

Afridi is very exciting but i cant remember the last time i saw him last more than an over,so he doesnt count.

Last edited:

V Reddy

Verinder Sehwag. Brings back the memory of the novel "The Moon Stone" written by Wilkie Collins i had in 10th :lol: :lol:

Tom Halsey

Very good eye, capable on his day, to destroy a bowling attack, like he did yesterday, but he has a crap technique, meaning he might get exposed when facing a top quality bowler, so if the Aussies had had McGrath and Warne, he might have failed.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I don't doubt that; I would have been amazed if Sehwag had survived a single opening spell had McGrath and Gillespie been bowling them all, because not only does he lack especially good technique, his shot-selection can go AWOL if tied-down for even a short period.
However, to criticise the technique of someone who's got a Test-average of 46 is rather pointless. He was very fortunate to get more than whatever he was on when Katich dropped him in the recent first-innings, but he's still made consistent 40s this series and made good runs in England.
He was rather ruthlessly exposed in New Zealand, though, no doubt whatsoever about that, and to score runs as an opening-batsman in India isn't especially difficult with the present set of international bowling-attacks.
I am still reluctant to consider him a Test-class opener, but seaming conditions are getting rarer and rarer by the season, so maybe being a Test opener is going to be far easier this decade than it was the last.

Last edited:

V Reddy

Richard said:
I don't doubt that; I would have been amazed if Sehwag had survived a single opening spell had McGrath and Gillespie been bowling them all,
He faced Gillespie pretty well in the first two tests :rolleyes: . Though it is not a test match but he batted very well against the Aus bowling which included Lee,Bichel,Gillespie and McGrath in the World Cup final. But he seems to struggle against the left armers .

BTW, i posted Virender Sehwag to point out the mistake in the spellling of his name in the options. It is Virender and not Verinder.

iamdavid

Richard said:
All agreed? Mr. hoitnik?
a) Yes Mr Dickinson Im perfectly clear.

b) What the hell does this have to do with me , I didnt make this poll / thread :P

c) It's hoitink ...... not hoitnik :P

iamdavid

Mr Mxyzptlk said:
At the WC they polled 150+ (?) women as to the most desirable cricketers and those were some of the names. I think Brett Lee was there... not sure.
Brett Lee , Ramnaresh Sarwan , Wasim Akram , Stephen Fleming & Alok Kapali were the names mentioned.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Fleming.:O
I'm very surprised at that. 31, 32? Though he always seems older than he is.
And I'm amazed enough people knew who Alok Kapali was. And I still don't think he's a very good batsman, no.