• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FC All-rounders

Jungle Jumbo

That has to be the worst Indian Test batting side this side of 2000.

Das and Ramesh had come off an okayish series in the epic against Australia earlier in the year; Dravid was just approaching his peak; Ganguly was going through a poor patch; Kaif, Badani, Dighe, Bahutule just doesn't look like the lower-order of an Indian Test side.

Didn't know Bahutule played another Test after his involvement in Kolkata. I bet people like him and Amol Muzumdar have some stories to tell, given how they will always be a footnote in history to some incredible performances on the cricket pitch. Bahutule especially; Muzumdar was just very unfortunate.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
The side with both Tendulkar and Laxman out of nick might come closer than a pure look at the names would suggest, though.

Jungle Jumbo

The side with both Tendulkar and Laxman out of nick might come closer than a pure look at the names would suggest, though.
I'd take an out-of-form Tendulkar over an in-form Badani everyday. Actually used to think Badani wasn't a bad one-day batsman, if he'd have been English he'd have had a lengthy career.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
You seriously underrate Badani if you think he was notably inferior to the Tendulkar we had between 2003 and early-2006, who at one point made 14 single-figure scores in 17 innings' or something.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
This may be interesting

The Cricket Society Wetherall Awards for "Leading All-Rounder in the English First-Class Game" each year for 1967-2007

Between 77-87 Rice and Hadlee won the award 6 times combined.

There is also the award for young allrounder which interestingly Bopara has won the previous 2 years.
Some extremely interesting names there, it must be said: Kasprowicz, Maddy, Croft, Martin Bicknell & Trego is the current holder. I wouldn't have said the first four were much more than useful part-timers in their second disciplines in the first-class game.

Do you know if they have some kind of formula to determine the best performer or is it a judgement call?

Goughy

Do you know if they have some kind of formula to determine the best performer or is it a judgement call?
TBH, I dont know how it is awarded.

Its also interesting to look at the Schools Award for All-rounder of the year. In 1985 it was Ally Brown :blink:

zaremba

Hadlee - 38.76 and 14.51
Outstanding. Compare this with Botham and there is, well, no comparison if we're being honest. I'm also surprised to see that Hadlee's CC batting average is higher than Procter's.

And if the nasty green-tops at Nottingham improved Hadlee's bowling average, they also make his batting average all the more impressive.

Ikki

Outstanding. Compare this with Botham and there is, well, no comparison if we're being honest. I'm also surprised to see that Hadlee's CC batting average is higher than Procter's.

And if the nasty green-tops at Nottingham improved Hadlee's bowling average, they also make his batting average all the more impressive.
Sure. Though, the more you bowl on them the more you can get them to help your bowling and he more you bat on them the less you're likely to be disadvantaged. Still, phenomenal.