• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Finding a balance

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Loony BoB said:
Don't forget that we can still give out points for past seasons to make things more fair. We'd have to figure out a reasonable way to do that, though... something like 1 point for the first completed season, 2 points for two, then something like 3 points for 4 completed seasons, 4 points for 6... something like that anyway, you might have some better thoughts on it.
Perhaps base them on the sim statistics too, but make it based mainly on the primary statistics - so that Cloete, who has a sim statistic of 50, would have something like 21/0/1 for his points...

Mr. P

Thought I might just add in the one disadvantage of this, in that with this system you cannot possibly be unpredictable...all the bowlers are terrible bats, bats are terrible bowls, all the best bowlers are exactly the same, all the best bats are exactly the same...and plus with the stats given to people, who is really going to want anything on fielding?

All the bowlers will figure, well theres no point having a batting average of 20, I might as well be the best possible bowler.

And ETC...

Cloete

Will the current players be given stats for the season they've already completed?

Anyway I like the system you'er using. However I don't think we can allow super all-rounders to come through. It's not really fair on the other guys, when I registered my bowling average was in the 20's but it got put back to either 30's or 40's.

This is definitely a step forward, as we can't allow the rookies to be better than players who have been playing for 6+ seasons even!

Loony BoB

Samuel_Vimes said:
Perhaps base them on the sim statistics too, but make it based mainly on the primary statistics - so that Cloete, who has a sim statistic of 50, would have something like 21/0/1 for his points...
I was thinking we could let the player choose where the points go - kind of like choosing what they spend their time concentrating on in the nets over the season. That way if a player was terribly concerned about his stats in any area, he could work to improve them.

I don't think I'd give out 21 points to anyone though. ;)

Cloete - Still figuring that out. :) I'd expect you'd get some, but how many is both realistic and fair is what we need to figure out.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
bryce said:
i myself am a rookie and the way i submitted my averages is by using my ones from IRL in my last two seasons of club cricket, that said i'm not exactly one of the ones dominating
Really?

Last time I checked your batting was about 35 and bowling 25...

age_master

The speeadsheet ive come up with basically everyone starts out as a batsmen or a bowler. than works on whatever they want over time if they wish to do so. ITC uses skill points for bowlers so they are directly comparable to batsmen. as such a batsman with an average of 40 would be directly comparable to a bowler with a skill rating of 40 (or an average of 30, 70-30=40). and with helpful pitches the bowlers averages would end up lower than that.

i have the highest possible starting bowling average at 28, the highest batting at 40. with batting gradually decreasing to improve bowling and vice versa. to aid potential all rounders i have given them an extra 3 on fielding (as you will see neither the batting or bowling stats are great).

for keepers skills range between 24 and 45 with batting ranging between 40 and 19.

batsmen/bowlers/AR's wishing to alter their fielding skill can do so by taking off batting or bowling skill. players cannot have a batting skill lower than 2.

Attachments

Robertinho

Well I am pretty much already 40 bat, 15 field, 0 bowl, so my signup is all within those limits.

SO yes, I think this would help!

Ferd

Personally I'm all for the idea, although cases such as Cloete or Ash would have to be worked out. Also maybe an experiance bonus could be included, giving older players more points as they have played more games. (I was thinking 1 skill point per 25 matches, to be added where ever the player wants)

Also, as the CWBCC Weekly Times Editor I wouldn't mind talking to (in particular) Marc, Loony BoB, age and Kwek about the issue as an indepth look at the situation will appear on the front page this week.

Loony BoB

No objections here.

Also, the per-matches idea is a good one, but the rewards should also come for spending a season in the team full stop, because you can spend a season in the nets and you'd want to get some kind of improvement out of it.

Loony BoB

I'm looking into the 20 point allowance with a 14 limit on bat and ball and a 12 limit on fielding and it looks good. I'll the possibilities up soon. This is to give at least a minor encouragement towards all rounders (although nothing major) and also to restrict wicketkeepers from starting with 45 (perfect rating), so they have something to work towards. I've also added the factor of 0 points towards bowling = 99 bowl average. Overall, this would mean the following results are possible (BatAverage-BowlAverage-FieldingRating):

BOWLERS
0-22-21
3-22-18
6-22-15
9-22-12
12-28-15
9-25-15

BATSMEN
42-46-3
42-99-21
42-52-9
36-52-15
30-52-21

KEEPERS
24-99-39
0-40-39
30-99-33
0-34-33
24-58-33
33-99-30

ALLROUNDERS
21-43-21
18-31-12
24-40-15
21-37-15
18-37-18

POWERFIELDERS
36-99-27
24-52-27
0-28-27
6-34-27

The best availalbe in each field is 42-22-39.

Loony BoB

Also, I'm considering the following for Training & Experience: Each season EVERY player is given a point. This can be used to adjust their batting, bowling or fielding.
1 point = +2 bat
1 point = -1.5 bowl
1 point = +3 field
This would mean that players who have been around since day one could have the following adjustments:
7 seasons = 7 points
7 points = +14 bat
7 points = -10.5 bowl
7 points = +21 field

However that's obviously a bit unfair. I think that seasoned players should only get T&E points for the last 3 seasons, giving them a maximum adjustment of...
3 points = +6 bat average
3 points = -4.5 bowl average
3 points = +9 fielding rating

What do you guys think of that?

superkingdave

I think the ideas are good but i think we need to intruduce some randomness into the equation - maybe sign up skills could be randomly altered from +-20% to give some unpredictablilty?

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
I'm liking these ideas - there needs to be something done, but the problem is I'm not sure as to how we could do anything mid-season.

As for wanting to speak to me Ferd - I'm away from Monday, but email me before then and I'll do my best to reply.

Loony BoB

superkingdave said:
I think the ideas are good but i think we need to intruduce some randomness into the equation - maybe sign up skills could be randomly altered from +-20% to give some unpredictablilty?
Well, looking at how the rookies signed up and how they're actually doing, I'd say that even though they'd start off sort-of similar, they won't all end up with the same stats at the end of the season. Look at bryce and kwek - they signed up with similar stats but they've turned out quite different.

Also, here's the 20-point system with 14-limits on bat and bowl and a 12-limit on fielding... click here.

Last edited:

Loony BoB

marc71178 said:
I'm liking these ideas - there needs to be something done, but the problem is I'm not sure as to how we could do anything mid-season.

As for wanting to speak to me Ferd - I'm away from Monday, but email me before then and I'll do my best to reply.
Well, we could start the rookie-signup-fandangle as soon as we'd like, but we wouldn't be able to reverse it onto past signup forms.

age_master

simming stats can be altered at the end of the season, depending on how well they do, to keep them from getting any better as a result of them doing really well...

age_master

superkingdave said:

i like that one, could no doubt be done fairly readily in a spreadsheet

age_master

Loony BoB said:
However that's obviously a bit unfair. I think that seasoned players should only get T&E points for the last 3 seasons, giving them a maximum adjustment of...
3 points = +6 bat average
3 points = -4.5 bowl average
3 points = +9 fielding rating

What do you guys think of that?

maybe just do it over 2 or 3 seasons, so maybe 3 pointrs this season and 3 next?

age_master

Ferd said:
Also, as the CWBCC Weekly Times Editor I wouldn't mind talking to (in particular) Marc, Loony BoB, age and Kwek about the issue as an indepth look at the situation will appear on the front page this week.
im free lots, just grab me on msn, im on a fair bit. or email me when your free and i will see what i can do...

Daniel is certainly the main man you want to talk to though :)