• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Food banks donating to the picket line

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Is food banks donating to striking ‘workers’ on the picket line a disgusting misuse of voluntary contributions? Asking for a friend.

flibbertyjibber

Guess it depends on how long they been picketing. If it the first day then it a bit off, if it been a few weeks then maybe they need it.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I can’t get my head round it tbh.

People give to food banks thinking they are helping the worse off who are struggling to put a meal together for a few days. Not to donate towards a strike they may or may not agree with.

Shameful stuff in my opinion.

Ausage

Is food banks donating to striking ‘workers’ on the picket line a disgusting misuse of voluntary contributions? Asking for a friend.
I certainly think it is and the food bank in question would not be getting another cent from me. Competing food banks would become more attractive in comparison. In the end my funding would go to a charity more in line with my view of how welfare should be distributed. Others may differ.

The free market is a beautiful thing.

Burgey

What's up? Only people whose cause or views you think worthy should get a bit of charity, even if others are struggling for a feed too?

What **** humans free marketeers are. Rest assured, if any of you were on fire, my urine would be put towards extinguishing another blaze.

Athlai

Not Terrible
I certainly think it is and the food bank in question would not be getting another cent from me. Competing food banks would become more attractive in comparison. In the end my funding would go to a charity more in line with my view of how welfare should be distributed. Others may differ.
Yeah pretty much. If you have a big enough stick up your ass I'm sure there are charities that accommodate that.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
What's up? Only people whose cause or views you think worthy should get a bit of charity, even if others are struggling for a feed too?

What **** humans free marketeers are. Rest assured, if any of you were on fire, my urine would be put towards extinguishing another blaze.
Except they’re not struggling for a feed and the idea of food banks is to help those who are. Do keep up.

Burgey

How do you know they aren't? If they were standing out front of Westminster with "smash the state" signs, you'd deliver food to them yourself, and fart free-market clouds of incense to warm them up.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
How do you know they aren't? If they were standing out front of Westminster with "smash the state" signs, you'd deliver food to them yourself, and fart free-market clouds of incense to warm them up.
Correct, I would, but that’s neither here nor there because I’d be giving the food directly.

You don’t see the issue with people giving food thinking it’s going to people who are starving and instead someone making an arbitrary decision that they’ll redistribute it to a political cause?

andmark

My instinct is that it probably depends on the nature of the strike. If, for example, the strike concerned a business where much of the local population worked and the management were planning preventable large scale cuts, devastating that area in the process, then it might be a moral thing to do. It'd also have the benefit of limiting the need for extra food in the food bank in the future if the strike is successful- giving the food bank incentive to feed the workers. On the other hand, if the strike is over a small issue or the damage to the local community is unlikely to be major from the point of contention, then it wouldn't sit well with me. In any case, if a food bank would be willing to feed striking workers, the food banks should probably tell the people donating to prevent disputes over whether they should be allowed to.

Burgey

How do you know the people don't need the food ffs, whatever their cause?

There's no problem with it at all, because part of giving food to a charity organisation is that you pass on the task of distributing that food to the organisation as it sees fit. That's part of the deal of you giving the food to that organisation instead of delivering it directly to people yourself.

You're sounding like some sanctimonious God-botherer here. "I give to the poor, but only the poor I deem worthy." Genuine ****ishness on display.

Ausage

I mean using funding against a donor's explicit wishes will put your DGR status in jeopardy over here.

andmark

How do you know the people don't need the food ffs, whatever their cause?

There's no problem with it at all, because part of giving food to a charity organisation is that you pass on the task of distributing that food to the organisation as it sees fit. That's part of the deal of you giving the food to that organisation instead of delivering it directly to people yourself.

You're sounding like some sanctimonious God-botherer here. "I give to the poor, but only the poor I deem worthy." Genuine ****ishness on display.
Is that directed at me?

Burgey

This is just shitbaggery at Ikki levels here. I realized Corrin had been drinking the RWNJ Koolaid, but this is next level. When Mrs Burgey makes up about 50 odd meals each fortnight and we take them to homeless people who live in and around the inner west, we don't stand there and say "Ok, do you have a drug problem? Yes? Sorry, you're not worthy. You can starve tonight", or "Hmm, you look like a One Nation voter, no food for you." "Voted for Howard in '96? Sorry mate, **** you and your family, you're here getting what you deserve." What the actual **** is wrong with you people?