• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Food banks donating to the picket line

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
The implicit assumptions here being that the food bank (and operators) has not thought through why/how or who should get food? Along with the assumption that the strikers don't need it. I don't know the charity, I don't know how they operate, I barely know the circumstances under which the strikers are striking. But I will make judgment call and say it is wrong because nobody in the charity knows what they are doing.

I say this with all the sarcasm I possess, because having worked a lot in charity I know that most people have no idea what it takes to run, work in and contribute to a charity (god the arguments I've had); but everybody has an opinion on what should be done with their charitable donations because the people who run it must be numpties and get given everything for free.
Well there we have it, Burgey is no longer the most embarrassing poster in this thread

Burgey

What's even better is when someone tries to argue with me, I won't care enough to bother responding.

But you've gotta do something whilst waiting for the car to defrost. Clearly had more time on my hands and more neighbours watching than I'd like...
Begs the question what you do when they aren’t watching mate. Which is a more interesting topic than anything Corrin posts about (except James Norwood tbf).

S.Kennedy

Tory just means conservative. Sadly we have conservatives here too. Far too many of them, sadly. We need a Tory mixametosis to knock back the population. Though they’re doing their best to kill themselves off atm over here.
What do Australian Tories do that is so bad? Kangaroo hunting? Getting caught en flagrente with a bushwacker? They'll not be able to wear the customary pin-striped suit, beloved of Thatcher's cabinet, in that heat, surely?

S.Kennedy

I am thinking an Australian Tory probably prefers Brian Johnson stadium thumping ''Acca Dacca'' before Bon Scott era - highly controversial in Oz I believe.

Ausage

Well there we have it, Burgey is no longer the most embarrassing poster in this thread
My favorite bit was the implicit assumption that no one else could have worked in the charity sector. Or worked in it for over a decade even.

StephenZA

My favorite bit was the implicit assumption that no one else could have worked in the charity sector. Or worked in it for over a decade even.
Where did I say or even imply that? All I talked about was my experience.

The entire OP is regards should food banks give to striking picket line. No nuance, no circumstance, no anything. It is practically a pure ideological statement. How does the food bank operate? Does it go out into the community often? Do some of the strikers work at the food bank giving time and money? What sort of care/food is being given? Could it have been pre-arranged for a larger donation. Nobody would agree with the food bank giving needed food to undeserving while others more deserving were starving (whatever the circumstance). But that is a judgment call for the food bank to make and if you don't trust their judgement don't donate to them. But let's not treat the entire issue as a simple statement of black and white without context.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Where did I say or even imply that? All I talked about was my experience.

The entire OP is regards should food banks give to striking picket line. No nuance, no circumstance, no anything. It is practically a pure ideological statement. How does the food bank operate? Does it go out into the community often? Do some of the strikers work at the food bank giving time and money? What sort of care/food is being given? Could it have been pre-arranged for a larger donation. Nobody would agree with the food bank giving needed food to undeserving while others more deserving were starving (whatever the circumstance). But that is a judgment call for the food bank to make and if you don't trust their judgement don't donate to them. But let's not treat the entire issue as a simple statement of black and white without context.
Not like you to take an on the fence approach, nobody knows anything, bla bla bla

I understand the context perfectly, it's my ****ing hometown I am talking about. The strike is dirge in the first place but that's neither here nor there. If you think there's the remotest possibility that everyone on that picket line has gone through the hoops to evidence their hardship that your average food bank user has to, then enjoy your delusions and have a good day. Cheers.

StephenZA

Not like you to take an on the fence approach, nobody knows anything, bla bla bla

I understand the context perfectly, it's my ****ing hometown I am talking about. The strike is dirge in the first place but that's neither here nor there. If you think there's the remotest possibility that everyone on that picket line has gone through the hoops to evidence their hardship that your average food bank user has to, then enjoy your delusions and have a good day. Cheers.
You may understand the context perfectly, we do not. If you think the food bank is exploiting the donations of good people and abusing their trust, I would not know different. But to ask generalised opinion with no context and then deride people for not understanding seems pointless to me.