• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

g8 time for reform?

g8 china in canada out?

• agree

Votes: 2 50.0%
  • disagree

Votes: 2 50.0%

• Total voters

stuarty

G8 Current members
Canada
France
Germany
Italy
Japan
Russia
UK
USA

WHAT IT SHOULD BE
China
France
Germany
India
Japan
Russia
UK
USA

time it had promotion and relegation like in football league in order to keep it containing the countries which best meet the original criteria for being a member..

Organisations die when they become irrelevant. That is what is happening to the G8 which, for reasons I can’t understand, continues to exclude China [china being the third most powerful country in the world} in favour of Canada or Italy is insulting.

YOUR THOUGHTS PLEASE

Last edited:

Burgey

Hi stuarty,

Interesting topic, however, I think the best place for it probably the News/ Politics subbie. Can a mod move it there please, so Ikki can bombard the thread with hour-long YouTube pieces?

Cheers,
TBT

stuarty

ok. China and India both deserve full membership to the G7, while there are no legitimate reasons to grant special status to Italy and Canada.

cpr

What youre suggesting is more what the G20 provides, which has pretty much superceeded the G7/8 as the main international forum for economics. The G7 now tends to be more of an old boys club of similar interests and world outlook - still powerful, but not the power in the field.

China and India are unlikely ever to become part of the G7 - whilst the criteria is still economically based, the GDP per capita of both countries is very low which negates the purchasing power through size that China certainly has. Neither country is considered to be particularly developed internally, which wont exactly get them a seat at the table. Also China's government doesn't fit the ethos of the group (hence why Russia were booted)

the big bambino

It should be the test playing nations with Zimbabwe as an associate and the WI disqualified for not being a fair dinkum country.

Spark

Global Moderator
The G8 (or really the G7) is one of those somewhat dubious organisations whose dubiousness is vastly outweighed by the rancidness of the vast majority of the arguments put against it, most of which are variations on "world leaders shouldn't be allowed to talk to each other".

EDIT: Or Jews. Many of these arguments are basically poor veiled variations on "Jooooooooooooooz!"

Last edited:

Spark

Global Moderator
Haha as trolls go it's sub-standard, but how else would you abolish it? At most it could be disbanded.
I mean you could "abolish" it, but then it would presumably go back to the way it was before (pre-war, and particularly pre-WW1) and... that's not exactly an improvement.

Uppercut

I mean you could "abolish" it, but then it would presumably go back to the way it was before (pre-war, and particularly pre-WW1) and... that's not exactly an improvement.
Well yeah but the same is true of abolishing government and that's GIMH's central political opinion.

I mean more as a matter of practicality, who would have the power to abolish it? Only an even more centralised supra-national body.