• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Group A - South Africa, Mexico, Uruguay, France

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I think SS's heart is in the right place but I'd love to see his response if someone watched cricket for ten days then posted ten times a day about all the changes that should be made to the game.

Agent TBY

lol SS.

- Offside line
- Reusable subs
- Fights and enforcers.

What happened? Did the Flyers fail to bring home the Stanley Cup or something?

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
I think SS's heart is in the right place but I'd love to see his response if someone watched cricket for ten days then posted ten times a day about all the changes that should be made to the game.
I'd tell him why he was wrong :p. Which is fine. I'm just posting about a problem that I see with the sport in terms of my enjoyment, obviously if other people enjoy it the way it is, that's fine.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I'd tell him why he was wrong :p. Which is fine. I'm just posting about a problem that I see with the sport in terms of my enjoyment, obviously if other people enjoy it the way it is, that's fine.
No look, carry on I don't have a problem with it.

ANything that makes you look like even more of a tit is fine by me :ph34r:

FaaipDeOiad

The faking injuries thing really is obnoxious, but for Australian viewers I'm sure it's because in our sporting culture, pretending that you're not in pain even when you've taken a pretty serious hit is an expected part of every sport. In soccer, being fouled is basically a chance to lie on the ground for a minute and rest while you pretend to be hurt, while admitting you feel any pain at all after taking a hit in an AFL game would get you a reputation for being soft.

The reaction you see from a player going down to a fairly standard tackle in a world cup game would be something you'd expect if a player had a broken leg or something in an AFL game. It's just a totally different relationship to what it means to show pain on the field.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Ah, nice explanation that. So in Aussie Rules pain is generally seen as a sign of weakness? Is that a fair interpretation?

BoyBrumby

Englishman
The faking injuries thing really is obnoxious, but for Australian viewers I'm sure it's because in our sporting culture, pretending that you're not in pain even when you've taken a pretty serious hit is an expected part of every sport. In soccer, being fouled is basically a chance to lie on the ground for a minute and rest while you pretend to be hurt, while admitting you feel any pain at all after taking a hit in an AFL game would get you a reputation for being soft.

The reaction you see from a player going down to a fairly standard tackle in a world cup game would be something you'd expect if a player had a broken leg or something in an AFL game. It's just a totally different relationship to what it means to show pain on the field.
Pretty much the same here, tbh. Simulation is still seen as a foreign disease. In fact we actually have quite a few English divers (Cashley, Owen & Rooney all known for going to grass rather easily) but can't honestly recall any of them faking an injury as such.

The corollary of the dim view of footballing thesps is that in England the foul is generally viewed as a lesser sin than than the dive or the sneaky handball. In fact one's lumbering centre half booting the oppo's winger into the advertising hordings is a thing of beauty at times.

The Sean

Yeah, it's bred into Australian footballers (of whatever code) that you don't show pain - never, ever let them know they've hurt you.

There's a great saying that, despite my love of football, rings so true:

Footballers spend 90 minutes pretending they're hurt. Rugby players spend 80 minutes pretending they're not.

FaaipDeOiad

Ah, nice explanation that. So in Aussie Rules pain is generally seen as a sign of weakness? Is that a fair interpretation?
Yeah. I mean, you'll see the stretcher on the field if someone is in a neck brace or has something broken.

Mind you, people absolutely do go to ground easily to try and draw free kicks, and while it's frowned upon it's part of the game and a number of players are very good at it. But you would never, ever pretend to be hurt when you weren't. More or less what Brumby said about domestic football in England.

PhoenixFire

The exact same thing that Fuller describes is present in loads of other English sports. Rugby for example is pretty much the ultimate 'hard guy' (for want of a better word) game, where players will pretty much do anything to avoid showing pain. Same occurs in hockey (despite its rep as a girl's game) as well.