• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Group F - Ireland, Pakistan, New Zealand, Sri Lanka

AaronK

congrat to pakistan they are going to Semis..

Gul matter behind us - Vettori | Cricket News | ICC World Twenty20 2009 | Cricinfo.com

wtf?

Vettori accused Gul for Ball temperring.. what a loser? I remember last twenty 20 world cup after losing in semi final.. he bitch around about Imran nazir and how he shouldn't have a runner..What is his problem..

NZ played bad.. he should admit that rather than accuse other teams of cheating..he should show sportmanship..

Fusion

Global Moderator
Pakistan win the toss and elect to bat. I hope they get to at least 170 and then let Gul and the spinners apply the pressure. We need to get us some revenge! :) Let's win it for Woolmer boys!
Though I didn't see it myself, but apparently Younis dedicated the win to Woolmer in the post-game press conference. Also said that if Pak win the tournament, he'll be dedicating that to Woolmer as well. Nice one, Younis! :thumbsup:

nightprowler10

Global Moderator

Not impressed with Vettori but what an over reaction by the Pakistani camp. Suppose its expected seeing as how we have some bad memories there.

Would love to see Sri Lanka through but not keen on facing SA so I think a New Zealand win by a small margin would benefit us more.

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
Though I didn't see it myself, but apparently Younis dedicated the win to Woolmer in the post-game press conference. Also said that if Pak win the tournament, he'll be dedicating that to Woolmer as well. Nice one, Younis! :thumbsup:
Hadn't heard this either. Good form.

KiWiNiNjA

Vettori accused Gul for Ball temperring.. what a loser? I remember last twenty 20 world cup after losing in semi final.. he bitch around about Imran nazir and how he shouldn't have a runner..What is his problem..
Please point me to the part where he accuses Gul of ball tampering.

Anyways, looks like McCullum might be out as well.

PhoenixFire

Yeah before even reading the article, I'd be willing to put money on the fact that Vettori never actually accused Gul of ball tampering.

AaronK

Please point me to the part where he accuses Gul of ball tampering.

Anyways, looks like McCullum might be out as well.
this article was originallly posted with different title in cricinfo and later they added more to it but anyways..

Did u even read the article? let me post a portion of it..

Vettori confirmed that he had "raised a couple of concerns" with the on-field umpires and the match referee, Ranjan Madugalle, after Gul had claimed the first five-wicket haul in Twenty20 internationals to dismiss New Zealand for 99, but he later added that he had put the matter behind him after the officials had "no issues at all with the state of the ball".

"The amount of reverse swing that we saw was new to us and therefore we raised a couple of concerns," Vettori said. "They relayed back to us that they had no issues at all with the state of the ball. We accepted that and now we move on to our important game against Sri Lanka." Vettori also said he had no discussions with Younis after the game regarding the matter.

that seems to me like an accusation..it is a shame.. instead of him admiting and saying yes we played bad.. he is a acting like sore loser..

KiWiNiNjA

this article was originallly posted with different title in cricinfo and later they added more to it but anyways..

Did u even read the article? let me post a portion of it..

Vettori confirmed that he had "raised a couple of concerns" with the on-field umpires and the match referee, Ranjan Madugalle, after Gul had claimed the first five-wicket haul in Twenty20 internationals to dismiss New Zealand for 99, but he later added that he had put the matter behind him after the officials had "no issues at all with the state of the ball".

"The amount of reverse swing that we saw was new to us and therefore we raised a couple of concerns," Vettori said. "They relayed back to us that they had no issues at all with the state of the ball. We accepted that and now we move on to our important game against Sri Lanka." Vettori also said he had no discussions with Younis after the game regarding the matter.

that seems to me like an accusation..it is a shame.. instead of him admiting and saying yes we played bad.. he is a acting like sore loser..
I did read the article. In the extract you have posted, no where does it mention any accusation of ball tampering. Vettori went to the match referee in an unofficial capacity and made him aware of his concerns. The match referee said there was nothing wrong, and that was the end of it.

It is a shame that this has been blown out of proportion. I'm sure it will make Vettori a bit hesitant about going to the match referee in the future, knowing that such conversations would be made public and then exaggerated. After all, the match referee is there for a reason.

Regarding his team playing bad, I'm sure Vettori will be the first person to admit that. Your post makes no sense, and you are just reacting to the sensationalist media.

profernity

It sounds like an accusation because an accusation is expected. Just like when some people jump to irrational conclusions about ball-tampering when Pakistan is involved.

Last edited:

Fusion

Global Moderator
I did read the article. In the extract you have posted, no where does it mention any accusation of ball tampering. Vettori went to the match referee in an unofficial capacity and made him aware of his concerns. The match referee said there was nothing wrong, and that was the end of it.

It is a shame that this has been blown out of proportion. I'm sure it will make Vettori a bit hesitant about going to the match referee in the future, knowing that such conversations would be made public and then exaggerated. After all, the match referee is there for a reason.

Regarding his team playing bad, I'm sure Vettori will be the first person to admit that. Your post makes no sense, and you are just reacting to the sensationalist media.
You've got to be kidding me. Vettori didn't accuse Gul of ball tempering? What "concerns" did he had a chat about with the ump? Maybe he was concerned about the weather. Also, this wouldn't have blown out of proportion had Verttori simply accepted the match referee's conclusion and not gone off about his "disbelieve" that Gul could get the ball to reverse swing. I respect Vettori, I really do. But his comments did come across as sour grapes and were unbecoming of his stature.

_Ed_

Just one point. I don't believe Pakistan were ball-tampering, but I have to wonder about the quality of the balls being used if this quote here is an accurate reason as to why the ball got so roughed up.

"In this game a lot of sixes are hit, and the ball goes in the crowd, and hits the concrete."

Have a look at how many sixes NZ hit.

Xuhaib

Just one point. I don't believe Pakistan were ball-tampering, but I have to wonder about the quality of the balls being used if this quote here is an accurate reason as to why the ball got so roughed up.

"In this game a lot of sixes are hit, and the ball goes in the crowd, and hits the concrete."

Gul wa even reversing in the previous WC also have seen him do it in other T20 games he's just good at it deal with it.

sirdj

Maybe there is an art to scruffing up the ball legitimately.:cool:

Furball

Evil Scotsman
It sounds like an accusation because an accusation is expected. Just like when some people jump to irrational conclusions about ball-tampering when Pakistan is involved.
It's not an accusation - ball reverses a bit sooner than has been the norm this year, Vettori mentions it in passing to the referee, referee states nothing underhand took place, Vettori is happy with that.

AaronK

wow.. so lets asume u r an umpire and i come to u and say that I am concern about the the amount of unbelievable swing that Gul is geting can you check the ball .. I am not accusing Gul of ball Tampering..then why I am asking the umpire to check the ball out.. why i am raising the concern at the first place?

off course the Media is going to blow this out of proportion..The match was played in The Oval.. I am not the only one who is reacting to this.. read the whole article.. pakistani captain, pakistani coach, PCB Chairman and even farmer pakistani coach Geoff Lawson who was commentating is reacting to this..

After reading this i lost respect for him simply because it isn't his first time that he is doing this..like i said in my previous post.. i remember back in 07 Twenty 20 world cup in a press conferenss he raised the same concern about Imran nazir using a runner after they lost in the Semi final to Pakistan.. it seems to me that he keeps taking shot at pakistan rather than improving his team against Pakistan..

AaronK

I have to admit.. Younis's reasoning doesn't help this mater at all..but that doesn't mean the ball was Tampered..why don't we just give the guy credit for bowling good.. When other bowlers get wickets in Englad.. they don't get accused of ball Tampering.. but when Pakistani bowlers get wicket.. they get questioned and "concerns" are raised..that doesn't sound fair to me..