• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Help? Poor foreigner being ganged up on by Japanese thug?

KiWiNiNjA

OK here is the story.

I live in an apartment with really thin walls. I watch a lot of movies/cricket, play a lot of music on my computer. I have only once got a complaint of being too loud.

That was 3yrs ago when the polive dropped me a visit. FFS, couldn't the person have knocked on my door and told me to turn my music down in person? The policeman was almost apologising to me for the inconvenience.

Fast forward 3yrs to tonight. I was just watching a movie in the background, not too loud, while talking to my gf. Then all of a sudden I hear a bang on the door. No knock/bang insues so I think its the wind. Then the next door neighbour guy starts making some noise.

I joke to my gf that this guy is pissed at me. But tell her that it is highly unlikely as the sound isnt too loud. She tells me not to open the door if he comes to my door, as he might hit me. I, thinking that it is a joke, tell her that he will be worse for wear if he throws a punch at me.

Anyways, 2mins later I get numerous bangs to the door followed by smashes against the wall from his side. Shock! WTF, is this guy retarded? Is he a caveman? Has he heard of civility? I never thought it would be possible, surely if your next door neighbour is loud then you knock on his door and tell him so. No?

Now I am pissed, what is wrong with this guy? Is it because I am a foreigner? He thinks "I donta speaka the language". FFS, isn't it worth a shot?

Nah, he just acts like an imbred hillbilly and bangs away, hoping I get the message. And I sure did. I got the message that Japanese are retarded. It isn't the first time that someone has gone to extreme methods (albeit 3yrs apart). But why not take the simple option of civility? If someone came to my door telling me that my music was too loud, then I would apologise and turn it down. Is civility too much to ask for these days?

Oh, and the reason I didn't confront him was because he is a huge guy and seemed to be in an agro mood, and I thought it was highly unwise.

My question to you is......
Should I confront him tomorrow (when hopefully he is cooled down) and give him a good going over?
Has this, or something similar, ever happened to you? And how did you handle it?

I am really furious now, and can't think straight. :@

Goughy

A black guy robbed me once therefore all black guys are...oh wait, thats probably not appropriate just like the thread title isnt.

ripper868

Get The japanese department of fisheries if he's that big...he can end up as someones 'scientific research'

No really if you havent had any troubles in the past with this dude then talk to him about it and mention that next time to just knock on the door...if he is just a **** then keep ya left up and get him with a right uppercut.

KiWiNiNjA

A black guy robbed me once therefore all black guys are...oh wait, thats probably not appropriate just like the thread title isnt.
Point taken.

Heat of the moment. I am by no means racist. Can a mod change the title to "Help? Poor foreigner being ganged up on by Japanese thug"?

Its just happens all the time with me. Because I am a white guy, people just assume that I don't speak Japanese. Come on, I speak better Japanese than you ffs.

Last edited:

KiWiNiNjA

No really if you havent had any troubles in the past with this dude then talk to him about it and mention that next time to just knock on the door...if he is just a **** then keep ya left up and get him with a right uppercut.
Yeah, thats what I am planning to do.

Its crazy how I am just suppose to know what pisses him off. He has probably just ignored me for a couple of years or something. If only he was smart enought to realise a simple knock on the door and he wont have to ignore....

ripper868

Good luck with it, take a present or something to...Tinny of Fosters or Tui and a picture of david beckham should get you in his good books

Perm

Yeah, go up to the **** tomorrow and give him a piece of your mind. That's ridiculous.

Sanz

OK here is the story.

I live in an apartment with really thin walls. I watch a lot of movies/cricket, play a lot of music on my computer. I have only once got a complaint of being too loud.

That was 3yrs ago when the polive dropped me a visit. FFS, couldn't the person have knocked on my door and told me to turn my music down in person? The policeman was almost apologising to me for the inconvenience.

Fast forward 3yrs to tonight. I was just watching a movie in the background, not too loud, while talking to my gf. Then all of a sudden I hear a bang on the door. No knock/bang insues so I think its the wind. Then the next door neighbour guy starts making some noise.

I joke to my gf that this guy is pissed at me. But tell her that it is highly unlikely as the sound isnt too loud. She tells me not to open the door if he comes to my door, as he might hit me. I, thinking that it is a joke, tell her that he will be worse for wear if he throws a punch at me.

Anyways, 2mins later I get numerous bangs to the door followed by smashes against the wall from his side. Shock! WTF, is this guy retarded? Is he a caveman? Has he heard of civility? I never thought it would be possible, surely if your next door neighbour is loud then you knock on his door and tell him so. No?

Now I am pissed, what is wrong with this guy? Is it because I am a foreigner? He thinks "I donta speaka the language". FFS, isn't it worth a shot?

Nah, he just acts like an imbred hillbilly and bangs away, hoping I get the message. And I sure did. I got the message that Japanese are retarded. It isn't the first time that someone has gone to extreme methods (albeit 3yrs apart). But why not take the simple option of civility? If someone came to my door telling me that my music was too loud, then I would apologise and turn it down. Is civility too much to ask for these days?

Oh, and the reason I didn't confront him was because he is a huge guy and seemed to be in an agro mood, and I thought it was highly unwise.

My question to you is......
Should I confront him tomorrow (when hopefully he is cooled down) and give him a good going over?
Has this, or something similar, ever happened to you? And how did you handle it?

I am really furious now, and can't think straight. :@

Calm the **** down. IMO you are over-reacting. Some people are little too sensitive to noise and even the slightest noise can deprive them of sleep. Even if you feel the noise is okay, it may not be esp if you are watching a movie or a game. Firstly because Channels raise the volume during commercial breaks, and even in movies/games the sound automatically goes up in certain scenes.

It has nothing to do with you being a Kiwi in Japan etc kind of stuff. Something like this happened with one of my room-mate(and a very close friend) back in 2001. My friend is a South Asian living in America.

In the middle of the night he would suddenly pick up his cricket bat or tennis racket and start banging on one particular side of the wall. This went on for weeks and one day I finally asked him why he did that, he explained to me that the neighbor made too much noise and he couldn't sleep. I was shocked to hear this because I obviously never heard any such noise. In any case, I asked him if he ever talked to the neighbour about this, he said 'He is a big crazy white guy twice my size' and how he was afraid to talk to him. I asked him If I could go and talk to this 'guy'. My friend agreed but said he is going to keep the 911 call ready in case the 'Crazy American' (his words not mine) acted like one.

In any case, I went to meet the 'white guy', he was really a giant, told him the problem, he said he worked from home during the night and at times gets up to make some coffee or food and doesn't make any noise apart from the noise that is generated from him walking inside his apartment and I believed him. He ceratinly didn't look/talk/act like what my friend had expected. He was also troubled by the fact that my friend banged at the wall and had gotten few notices from the apartment management because of the complains filed by my friend.

In any case, I think you should cut down on the volume and should talk to the neighbour if he does it again. Your making a lot of assumptions and much of your anger (IMO) is because you feel he is doing it because you are a foreigner.

Last edited:

FRAZ

Counter report him again and again ...... Put stool specimen in a well wraped gift box and remember doing it wearing a glove . Make sure specimen isn't your's (DNA may excrete too ) . Place the gift box , ring the door bell and run away pretty fast ............
I had the same problem with the Wheatish skinists .....
Anyways ! stay clean in a foreign country as much as possible !!!!

FRAZ

I hate the apartments tbh .. I told my dad that either buy me a 3 bedroom house with a patio or consider I am dead ..........

Mr Casson

Good contribution from Sanz there.

From personal experience, I know how easy it is in Japan to feel like the whole country is against you - there's a lot of stigma attached to the image of being a white guy over there and it doesn't feel good at the best of times. But with regards to the language thing, the fact that he doesn't know how good your communication skills are (even though you speak that filthy Kansai crap :p) gives away that you haven't spoken to him at all. While I'd be the first to agree that a lot of middle-aged Japanese seem to have an attitude problem, I found that once you approached someone in Japanese, they tended to take down their guarded perception of you.

There's also the fact that, from where we are, Japanese people have pretty queer attitudes towards conflict avoidance. In his mind he probably doesn't feel justified coming right out and saying frankly that your noise gives him the irrits (whether that's reasonable or not), so his annoyance manifests itself in strange ways.

I know you've been Japan a long time and would know all this stuff already, it's just that in times of conflict the mind can be its own worst enemy. I'd go and talk to the ****er, see how that goes - and if you do, you're probably best leaving the combative attitude you brought in here back in your apartment.

FRAZ

Good contribution from Sanz there.

From personal experience, I know how easy it is in Japan to feel like the whole country is against you - there's a lot of stigma attached to the image of being a white guy over there and it doesn't feel good at the best of times. But with regards to the language thing, the fact that he doesn't know how good your communication skills are (even though you speak that filthy Kansai crap :p) gives away that you haven't spoken to him at all. While I'd be the first to agree that a lot of middle-aged Japanese seem to have an attitude problem, I found that once you approached someone in Japanese, they tended to take down their guarded perception of you.

There's also the fact that, from where we are, Japanese people have pretty queer attitudes towards conflict avoidance. In his mind he probably doesn't feel justified coming right out and saying frankly that your noise gives him the irrits (whether that's reasonable or not), so his annoyance manifests itself in strange ways.

I know you've been Japan a long time and would know all this stuff already, it's just that in times of conflict the mind can be its own worst enemy. I'd go and talk to the ****er, see how that goes - and if you do, you're probably best leaving the combative attitude you brought in here back in your apartment.
LOL ! Nicest post .. Welcome to the grown up and a sane world ....

FRAZ

BTW why people take good people so wrong some times ?
I just can't get it some times ....
I might take revengeful memories of them with me to the grave one day !