• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

How did you get in to your favorite bands?

Langeveldt

Soutie
Karen Zoid, Fokofpolisiekar - Free MP3 downloads off a news24 music site.. Then bought her latest CD

Bloc Party - Someone brought the Silent Alarm CD into work, I was hooked

Hot Chip - Hear Ready for the Floor being played in a surf shop

Idlewild - They were supporting R.E.M at a gig I went to in London.. Ended up prefering there set to the band I was actually there for...

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
GnR
Really fell in love with them probably when i was about 14. Sisters ex was a massive fan, growing up in that era, got into them through car journeys with him. Ended up buying all the albums (bar Greatest Hits, which tbh only offers Sympathy For The Devil, majestic cover it is, not worth a tenner). Live Era is possibly one of 2 Live albums I've ever bothered with.
Always see the single floating around record shops for about a quid, think I got it from eBay. Good cover, not sure about majestic

Goughy

Insomnia

Longterm insomnia (I was interested to see Temazepam referenced in another thread as a date rape drug as I took it as a sleep aid) meant most music I listened to was for quiet contemplation, introspection, relaxation and thinking.

As such, assorted trip hop, Simon and Garfunkel and Johnny Cash (amongst others) have played long term roles in my life.

PhoenixFire

New Order

Never really listened to them (knowingly) before I heard Brumby wax lyrical about them. Usually I don't really listen to him spouting pretentious **** about bands like The Smiths, but it seemed that they sounded so good that I might as well give them a listen. I love them now TBH.

Top_Cat

Queen: Dad had a copy of Greatest Hits album, happened to coincide with starting to learn the guitar. No brainer that Brian May is one of my favourite players.

Metallica: At music school, a mate of mine played Seek and Destroy for his final concert practice assessment. Was hooked from that moment on both Metallica and guitar. Much less of the former after Load, though.

Dream Theater: 'Take The Time' was on a metal compilation and I largely ignored it. Then, was listening to it in the background and the ending came on and just as it fades out, you hear John Petrucci doing some fast alternate-picking runs which ripped my head off. Had never heard a bloke play that sort of stuff so accurately. Was hooked from that point on, especially since they seemed so underground.

_Ed_

Nice thread.

Muse - Big Day Out 2004, they started up as I was walking past on the way to buy food. Some bloke in a lab coat beating the crap out of a piano (I now know the song was Apocalypse Please). Didn't end up buying the food.

The White Stripes, The Veils, Arcade Fire, and pretty much all my other favourites - Friends telling me how good they are.

Perm

Pink Floyd - Dad always used to tell me about how good they were, and Mum and him both love Wish You Were Here. One day he hired out The Wall and we watched it. Was stunned and mesmorized, been a huge fan ever since.

Led Zeppelin - Stairway got me hooked.

Black Sabbath - Again, through Dad telling me about them.

GotSpin

Rage Against the Machine: Was chilling at a mates house drinking a few beers when he played Killing in the name. Later that night i went and download heaps of songs and have been a massive massive fan ever since

Limp Bizkit: I remember they were massive in 2000 and all my friends had the album. One day in a friends car his mum allowed my mate to play the cd in the car (hey we were like 13). Loved them ever since despite what everyone thinks!

Korn: Friend was obsessed with them when Follow the leader was released. Only natural that i followed

Mister Wright

Oasis - One listen to Wonderwall was all it took. Also a mate of mine hated them, and I'm always up for a challenge. Plus I thought Liam was the coolest when I was 15. Still love him tbh.

The Beatles - My Dad made sure I pretty much listened to nothing else until I was 13.

Silverchair - Again, one listen to Tomorrow and I was hooked. At that time I was starting to get into grunge also, with bands like Soundgarden and Nirvana, so they came along at the right time for me.

Special Guests - They ****in' awesome live, and the guys in the band are some of the greatest guys ever, especially the singer. Proud to know 'em. :ph34r:

Langeveldt

Soutie
Dire Straights
As a baby, when I used to kick off, for some reason I always had Dire Straights played to me to calm me down.. Money for Nothing and Brothers in Arms have been favourites ever since..

Jethro Tull
Dads influence again

cover drive man

Rolling stones
Martin Scorsese films mostly.

Guns and roses
Use to watch the music channels a lot before I discovered YouTube and heard them playing November rain and thought it was quite cool and for the next year or so was obsessed with them, loved November rain, Civil war, Sweet child of mine. They might have done one to many remixes (wrong word I know) But were still legends. Calmed down after about a year or so but they're still pretty cool, Slash was the best I think, Axel could sing but no one beats slash at the guitar.

Suppose this goes for non bands as well.

Mozart
Random Youtube clicking really, came across the Requiem and just started typing in Mozart and seeing what came up. Didnt understand many of the thechnicalities back then but still enjoyed myself, have now looked up some piano sheet music from the internet now and Am working on some of his Piano sonatas. Mozart was brilliant but overshone (just like all the artists here are) By Beethoven

Beethoven
My Dad saw me typing listening to Mozart on youtube and got out his Dads old Beethoven stuff, fell in love with it to be honest, touches on a whole new world to anything else, anyway gotta go couldnt finish this of sorry.

Eminem
Pretty much the same story as the Guns and roses one but not as good.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
The only way your post would be accurate would be if you replaced 'songs' with person and you were talking about yourself

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
That post would be accurate if 'preposterous' was replaced with "I am a " and 'idea' was actually "****" itbt