• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

INDIA vs England !!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

krkode

If England don't fold up to Australia and India fold up Pakistan, while Pakistan beat Zimbabwe, England still has a pretty good chance of making it through in terms of NRR and the fact that they beat Pak in their personal match up.

V Reddy

.The bowling was really good as it has been since the NZ series. Nehra seems to have hit a zone now. He can now be termed as a quick bowler:D .And the fielding was top class:cool2: . And dravid's return to form also is a very good sign.And now they are almost in the super six. Now i really want Kenya to qualify:D . I want India to beat Pakistan and England qualifying.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
I should like to offer my congratulations to an Indian team which today defeated England fair and square.

In Nehra they had a man who produced a truly great match winning performance.

Now consider this - I believe that if England had won the toss they would have won - and we would have been saluting a 5-something by White or Anderson or Flintoff or Irani.

Before someone slags me off for that seemingly rash statement which could be construed as sour grapes, I also believe that if Pakistan had won the toss the other day, they would have beaten England just as comprehensively as India did today.

krkode

Also, Dravid seems to be doing great behind the stumps. I see 3 rahul Dravid catches...and he's done many more this world cup. That's quite a few dismissals :wow:

Anil

krkode said:
Also, Dravid seems to be doing great behind the stumps. I see 3 rahul Dravid catches...and he's done many more this world cup. That's quite a few dismissals :wow:
According to Eddie's report, he dropped Hussain today. Luckily, in this match, it didn't prove costly, but it could've......anyway, great win by India and more importantly, a team effort.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
anilramavarma said:
According to Eddie's report, he dropped Hussain today. Luckily, in this match, it didn't prove costly, but it could've......anyway, great win by India and more importantly, a team effort.
On balance, Dravid kept well today. The Hussain chance was tough - a one-hander in front of first slip which he had to go for (wouldn't have carried). I think someone like Gilly would have made it 7 or 8 times out of 10.

Technically, a bottom edge from Caddick could also have been construed as a chance but as he was standing up to 'terror' Harbhajan (and it was a BIG deflection) any keeper in the world would have been delighted to lay a glove on it.

He conceded no byes and his glove work was better than competent - it really was very good.

Anil

luckyeddie said:
On balance, Dravid kept well today. The Hussain chance was tough - a one-hander in front of first slip which he had to go for (wouldn't have carried). I think someone like Gilly would have made it 7 or 8 times out of 10.

Technically, a bottom edge from Caddick could also have been construed as a chance but as he was standing up to 'terror' Harbhajan (and it was a BIG deflection) any keeper in the world would have been delighted to lay a glove on it.

He conceded no byes and his glove work was better than competent - it really was very good.
That's really comforting to hear. Thanks for explaining....LE.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
krkode said:
If England don't fold up to Australia and India fold up Pakistan, while Pakistan beat Zimbabwe, England still has a pretty good chance of making it through in terms of NRR and the fact that they beat Pak in their personal match up.
That's what I'm hoping happens!

Well done to India (esp. Ashish Nehra.. 6/23, that even beats Vaas' demolition job on Bangladesh) for a comfortable win, and well done to Andy Flintoff for being England's sole performer with bat and ball.

I wish I'd been able to see any of the game just to see how much the ball was doing in the respective innings. From Radio 4, it sounded like it wasn't doing much for England (hence why Anderson got hit) and then come the night, a lot for the Indians. It's for this reason that I'm not too despondent over the result, and also don't think that it's that crushing a blow for India - just like our win over Pakistan looked good on paper but wasn't such a stunning display.

Oh, and before any flaming starts, don't bother.

Legglancer

Well played India ..... Really made England look bad today .... Especially their batting looked terrible .... Obviously Nehra was hitting the spot majorly today but I was mostly impressed by Ganguly's captaincy. I thought his bowling changers were impeccable.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
vishnureddy said:
Well it is Dravid who has done well in the slog overs. I want England to lose this and win against Australia:D
My sole crumb of comfort is getting 6-1 for Dravid top scorer.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
full_length said:
Was just going to say that Collingwood and Flintoff have a chance of doing a Natwest against India.. but Nehra strikes as I hit 'reply'!!

93/6
Well, since you didn't edit it, it's not strcitly speaking as you hit reply, but there does seem to be a knack of people posting just as something crucial happens! ;)

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
nehrafan said:

England were no match to Indians, the result of the match was never in doubt but the way Indians tamed the English team is simply amazing!!!
Well, we had the rub of the green with the conditions on Saturday by bowling under lights, so it was too much to hope that we got lucky twice in a row. That said, the ball still has to be put in the right place.

What worries me is that the Cup may become a farce as one of the semi's is a day nighter at Durban, which the toss will have a far too important role in.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
full_length said:

Conditions will have changed somewhat, but I'll bet India would have won if we'd batted second.
Looking at the English attack and how suited it is to the conditions (witness Saturday) I must doubt that statement - but these things happen - Pak beat Zim, and Ind beat Pak, and we make it AFAIK, which is more than anyone expected before the Tournament started (especially considering the forfeit)

In fact that forfeit may be the thing that gets us through in a strange way!

Tim

I agree with that Marc. The way India batted in NZ in the same conditions as England faced last night I have reservations as to whether they would have got there.

Last edited:

Tim

As for the semi final D/N in Durban, I think the ICC should do the right thing & make it a day game. Semi-finals are meant to be well fought matches & so far we've seen 2 Day Nighters completely flop in the 2nd innings of each match.

warrioryohannan

What a wonderful perfrmance by the Indian team, they completely outplayed England, Ashish was superb, i never expected so much from him.
I was slagged off by English fans (who aren't too vocal today:O ) for predicting an Indian win over England in WC. Its good to see my prediction comming true, India is and have been a better team and as such i always expected India to brush aside England, my comments were never biased as such, i was alwys being realistic but to some it was hard to swallow!

However i must say that i would have enjoyed the game more had it been a day affair rather than day and night one.These day and night games gives an unfair advantage to team bowling second, i think there shouldn't be ANY D/N matches in WC.

Ringua

Well played India, one thing is now for certain, the team is on the way up!
Nehra was breathless, he brings to mind Akrams of early 90's!!
Sachin was great as usual, rest of the batsmen were also good, however Sehwag's form must be a worry for the team.

As for England only Flintoff was able to do anything worthwhile with bat and ball, Anderson was a big dissapointment and so was caddick.

Ringua

Tim said:
I agree with that Marc. The way India batted in NZ in the same conditions as England faced last night I have reservations as to whether they would have got there.
What annoys me though is the comments of Ian Botham and David Gower. In the Pakistan/England match they were thrilled by the English performance and although they mentioned the ball was doing a considerable amount more than during the day, they didnt question the equity of the whole system. On the other hand, today they were questioning the whole idea, were saying its unfair on the team batting second and werent so keen on the idea anymore

Tim

Yeah Ian Botham was a bit like that when England were here in 2002.
Quick to dismiss anything good that the opposition does & quick to praise anything England does..but still he isn't the only commentator who does that so we've just got to accept that these guys will always have the final say.

Status
Not open for further replies.