• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

INDIA vs England !!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Choora

warrioryohannan said:

I was slagged off by English fans (who aren't too vocal today:O ) for predicting an Indian win over England in WC.
Give them some time to recover will you? they are right now probably flabbergasted:lol: :lol:

Choora

Sunil Havascar said:
Ian Botham sucks (at commentary). He should shut up. He is ignorant.
Thats what i once said about beefy without realising that he was an Englishmen and i'm an Indian , and as such i landed up in trouble and had to face the wrath of some English fans:P

Kimbo

honestly though... he just rattles on about stuff thats not true. he was talking about adams being a medium pacer... at the same time the speedo was consistently reading 140+

masterblaster

Hats off to India, Ashish Nehra has done us all proud today. Well Done.

Thanks a lot to all the English Fans on Cricketweb, they've honestly and very nicely praised India and given where credit is due.

My respect for you all has grown even more.

Well Done India, Lets See If We Can Progress

full_length

Botham is a dunce.

Re: the bowling speeds, commentators simply use adjectives as per their whim and not based on merit.
Is this a problem due to the fact that all the commentators , well most of them anyway, are former players?
Like Adams, any Indian bowler that bowls fast is always 'a slippery customer', skiddy, nippy, .. never fast or quick.
Srinath bowling at his fastest in the mid nineties was only medium fast for most commentators!
On Srinath's speed (following someone else's comments in the earlier pages), I am pretty sure he bowled in the mid to high 150s (kph) in the mid nineties. He came in as a tearaway quick, and had serious pace. When they were actually measuring his speed in the '99 world cup, after he'd lost a good lot of his pace, I think he dished out 94 mph deliveries and comfortably got up 90 mph. There was a distinct drop in his speed after his rotator cuff injury from the days before that. And that's when he changed his action if I remember right. It was simply amazing to see him still bowl fast immediately after his recovery! He came back in that Diana memorial match, and was really 'nippy' :P (read fast). I think Sachin had lots of trouble facing him in that match.

Now, after cutting down his pace quite a bit, he quite easily gets into the 140s when he wants to.
He's definitely the fastest out of India after Nissar.. and that was a while back! At his tearaway best, he was surely in the top three fastest bowlers in the world, though that went unnoticed.
This is surely the first time in his career that he's not the quickest bowler in the Indian team.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Ringua said:
What annoys me though is the comments of Ian Botham and David Gower. In the Pakistan/England match they were thrilled by the English performance and although they mentioned the ball was doing a considerable amount more than during the day, they didnt question the equity of the whole system. On the other hand, today they were questioning the whole idea, were saying its unfair on the team batting second and werent so keen on the idea anymore
To be fair though Ringua, have the members of this forum been like that, or were we gracious in both victory and defeat?

Be honest with your answer.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
masterblaster said:
Hats off to India, Ashish Nehra has done us all proud today. Well Done.

Thanks a lot to all the English Fans on Cricketweb, they've honestly and very nicely praised India and given where credit is due.

My respect for you all has grown even more.

Well Done India, Lets See If We Can Progress
That's what I like about Cricket Web - a sense of perspective from most of the contributors. More power to you, Masterblaster

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Muzza said:
shame Marc. You crap team is nearly out of the world cup. hahahahaha....
That's what I said.... a sense of perspective, the 'give-and-take', no mindless crowing

Andre

Well, how about that from Nehra? He bowled like a man possesed.

I think Zaheer and Srinath also bowled very well, proving that Indin can have a decent seam attack if they collectively put their minds to in on the same day.

The one bright spot for England was Freddie Flintoff, who had a blinder in my opinion in a well beaten side.

But hats off to India, a good win, enjoyable match and good luck to them as they look towards the Super six.

Rik

Choora said:
Thats what i once said about beefy without realising that he was an Englishmen and i'm an Indian , and as such i landed up in trouble and had to face the wrath of some English fans:P
No the reason you face the wrath of us is because usually you speak crap...

Rik

luckyeddie said:
That's the problem with grapes. Occasionally you get one or two which are quite sour.
Nothing to do with the match mate, just buisness :)

Bazza

Muzza said:
shame Marc. You crap team is nearly out of the world cup. hahahahaha....
My favourite comments are always the most thoughtful and insightful ones.... :rolleyes:

Bazza

Tim said:
Quick to dismiss anything good that the opposition does & quick to praise anything England does..but still he isn't the only commentator who does that so we've just got to accept that these guys will always have the final say.
I think everyone has an element of this in them. Like now I am more focussed in how disappointing England were, mostly because without seeing the game I cannot judge how well India bowled for example.

Certainly there is a case for getting rid of D/N games until they can even them up somehow, or at least outside of places like Australia where they seem a bit closer. A World Cup is not the place for matches to be decided on the toss of a coin, and I am frankly shocked to hear that one of the semi finals will be a D/N game.

Anyway congratulations to India - you realise you have to make the final to get any respect though, right? ;)

full_length

"Anyway congratulations to India - you realise you have to make the final to get any respect though, right? "

Right. I thing we're atleast second best too, what with SA proving a disappointment :D

PY

Hats off to India, they performed when they had to. This is the way I saw it.
India had a wonderful start, Tendulkar and Sehwag (probably slightly more of Tendulkar) putting on 6 an over for first 10 overs meant that the 21 off the 15-25 over period didnt kill off the momentum that much. Dravid had yet another key innings where he knocked the ball around and rotated the strike when he was struggling (note i said that was a key factor when your struggling in ODI rate thread :D). He became the key as Singh played the aggressive role at the end. Note be given to Flintoff who bowled magnificently (personally I thought he deserved MOTM with his batting added in even taking into account Nehra's performance). A decent total of 250/9 which I thought was definitely attainable. Then England hit self-destruct............only person to offer real resistence was Fred. I think the toss was the key as people have mentioned because as I listened to BBC Radio 4 the amount of times the Indian bowlers were going past the outside edge was freaky compared to the England bowlers, and people who say England have a poor attack are going slightly over the top. Also people saying that India are now world-beaters are deluding themselves as they still got absolutely spanked by the Aussies and I feel would struggle against them on any form.
However, credit where credits due, India won well and that's my longest post so far and I feel out of breath....:yawn:

Gotchya

As I expected, India have mustered up a win. Though I admitt I saw the win coming from their batsmen rather then their bowlers.

For those of you who didn't see Nehra bowl, well he reminded me of some of the deliveries Wasim has been producing over the years. The conditions were helpful yes, but you need a sensible head and good arms to put it up there at 140+. He impressed me a lot. Zaheer+Srinath+Nehra is quite a good pace attack now.

England cant complain really, they got a gift saturday night, had to give one in return yesterday. I was particularly disgusted by Mr.Botham. Twenty minutes into the the second innings and I heard him despising day/night matches, I didn't hear any such stuff in the Pak/Eng match ? anyhow, they will now have to down England to have a chance, and hope that India trounces Pakistan.

Saturday's game is really important as regards to the Pakistani progression. In my opinion, if Pakistan don't fire in that match then they never will.

Status
Not open for further replies.