• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

it's our year

Kraken

They sure did. Saints were diabolical, as predicted. Warriors also nearly completed at 100%, only made an error with 3 Mins to go

Gnske

thats the saints though, i don't know how flem was so pessimistic. garbage team, garbage culture

Smudge

It's fair to say a lot of NZers support the Warriors but the NRL/ARL/NSWRL started being broadcast in NZ in the late 80s so a lot of people latched onto teams before the Warriors turned up in 1995.

For example, a lot of Kiwis became Manly fans due to Darrell Williams, Tony Iro etc being there and then Matthew Ridge signed up as well to add to the interest. Balmain Gary Freeman), Canberra (Brent Todd), Newcastle (Sam Stewart, John Schuster) and the Bulldogs (McCracken, Jason Williams, and later John Timu) were other popular sides. Even then, I've got a couple of Kiwi mates who are Panthers fans from that era.

Every so often, you still see the occasional Video Ezy Canberra Raiders or a Power Brisbane Broncos jersey on some older bloke at the pub or at the mall.

Burgey

I recall the Manly side pre-Warriors were often dubbed Maori Warringah when they had Williams, Ridge, Iro etc.