• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Lager or Ale?

What's your poison?

• Total voters

Majin

Which does it for you?

Have spent this afternoon knocking back a few bottles of quality ale and am currently enjoying life just fine. For me, ale is the best kind of booze out there. So much flavour, so much depth and diversity. Also gets you very nicely toasted. Lager, on the other hand, I generally find to be quite gash. I can drink it, if I have to, but I would much rather prefer to deal with a bottle of ale than some filthy can of Stella or something equally foul. Like Carling. Seriously the most dire drink of all time.

Anyway, discuss your preferred tipple.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Think ales are far more rewarding taste-wise than lagers; they have beginnings, middles and ends. A good IPA really takes some beating: the hoppy nose, the citrus and sometimes biscuity overtones on the palate and the crisply refreshing bitterness to finish. Marston's Old Empire & Fuller's Bengal Lancer both superior examples of the form.

That said a bad ale is a lot worse than a bad lager. Some pubs just can't keep a decent pint of ale, but few manage to **** up lagers.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Yeah, true that. When the lager is **** it's flat, when ale is ****, say hello to the toilet for a few hours the next day

stumpski

Haven't drunk lager regularly for about 13 years, but can go a cold Grolsch in the garden on a summer day. Fave ales Speckled Hen, Doombar, Summer Perle (almost a lager), Spitfire. Or maybe a Banana Bread when I'm feeling adventurous. :)

Spirits are more my weakness though ITBT.

thierry henry

Can an NZer educate me on readily available good quality ales here? Because for me, "lager" has always meant "the more expensive, more drinkable stuff with more alcohol" and "ale" has always meant "Lion Red, Speights, and other cheap, low alcohol stuff predominantly consumed by the impoverished". Is there more to it than that?

Zinzan

^ I'm more of a lager man myself, but from memory Monteith's have some half decent Ales like their 'Celtic'