• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Moving forward what type of side should England pick in ODI cricket?

wpdavid

A young one. With balls.

Vale Bell, Anderson, Broad and Morgan. And Bopara and Tredwell.

Maybe Root as captain, but we don't really know. Remember how many people thought Morgan would be a good skipper? Maybe Ali, actually.

It's been said, but our bowling stocks are shockingly poor. I don't really know why, although I could offer some views. I couldn't begin to suggest who should replace Broad and Anderson, but I'd like to see someone there who doesn't look as if he has some divine right to send down a whole stack of pies and still get picked regardless.

Obviously whoever we pick will be slaughtered by NZ and Aus this summer, but it might show us who has a bit of character.

theegyptian

Unfortunately I forsee a few Dernbach and Saj Mahmood like performances from England bowlers in the next couple of years in ODI cricket. No way Broad or Anderson will play a lot with the 17 tests or so they got in the next year.

Dunn, Wood, Mills, Overton have barely played lo/t20 cricket but will probably get some chances.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
James Tredwell - Can't fault his performances, but he turned 33 a couple weeks back and England may decide he no longer fits the bill.
If you're building towards the next World Cup then Tredwell should be straight up gone, surely? 37 isn't too old for a spinner I suppose but picking Tredwell for the next World Cup is more something you'd look at a year out if your other options hadn't worked out and he was still playing. Definitely time to try other spinners for a while IMO.

I guess I think the same of Bell, but to a lesser extent. Get some other bats in for now and if they don't work out and Bell is still playing well domestically and/or in Tests in 2018 then look at bringing him back in a year out, but keep him out of the side for now.

Antihippy

I really don't see tredwell offering anything more than what Ali offers up now. A reliable offspinner who can keep the runs down and snare a few wickets.

wpdavid

Home world cup will be tempting them and isn't the champions trophy in England as well?
Wasn't the last CT in England?

As for the WC, I doubt very much whether a home tourney would be a factor after the massive humiliation they've had this time around.
Anderson isn't stupid - he knows he's on the downhill slope nowadays.
Bell otoh isn't smart, so he may need a bit of persuading.

wpdavid

I wonder if we've considered exactly how badly our teams of kids will do against the NZ and Aus sides this summer.
It's probably the way to go, but there will be times when we're dismissed for around 100. And the times when we concede under 320 will definitely be the exception rather than the rule, even in English conditions.

Maybe we should just save everyone the time and not bother?

theegyptian

I wonder if we've considered exactly how badly our teams of kids will do against the NZ and Aus sides this summer.
It's probably the way to go, but there will be times when we're dismissed for around 100. And the times when we concede under 320 will definitely be the exception rather than the rule, even in English conditions.

Maybe we should just save everyone the time and not bother?
We should lose comfortably but a) home conditions should even it out somewhat b) I doubt Aus or NZ are gonna be that bothered. c) I don't think the batting will be bad (Root and Buttler are already are two best bats and we're not losing them)

theegyptian

I really don't see tredwell offering anything more than what Ali offers up now. A reliable offspinner who can keep the runs down and snare a few wickets.
Tredwell is the better odi spinner with better variation but Ali offers the team balance and as pews says Tredwell will be 37 next world cup. I think they will keep Tredwell around for a bit given the lack of alternatives at present in county cricket.

flibbertyjibber

Drop Bell, Morgan and Anderson as they are either too old to be around for next world cup or not good enough.

Never pick Broad for a major tournament again when he is recovering from injury as he takes ages to find his form. Always has and this will only get worse the older he gets.

Root, Taylor and Buttler are the future, bat them at 4,3 and 5 and find a partner for Moeen at the top of the order, give Hales a run if needs be but don't wait till the tournament is a year away before blooding them all next time. Root maybe the man to become captain, might be too soon but he can't do worse than Morgan.

As for the bowling well pace wise we are struggling in the shorter version, need a player or two to come through next year. Open to suggestions regarding the bowling.

wpdavid

The bowling will probably start off being led by Woakes, Jordan and Stokes. Plus whoever looks remotely competent in May.

flibbertyjibber

Yeah, forgot to say Stokes in my team at 6 or 7, probably 6 depending on whether you want an extra bat. Buttler has to move up to 5 though for a while to see if it works.

Moeen
Hales
Taylor
Root
Buttler
Stokes
??
Woakes
Broad if fit and in form
??
??

Last edited:

honestbharani

Do the English Lions (or whatever fancy name they call their A team) tour other countries for ODs at all? Maybe if they play more ODs away from home, esp. in the SC, their outlook to the game might change? I don't think many of the English players lack talent or ability and I don't think bringing back KP is going to solve anything with respect to ODIs.... They need to have an attitudinal change...

honestbharani

I wonder if it is too far fetched an idea to have seperate A teams for ODs and FCs? I am sure ECB with their money can pull it off... Send a group over to SA to play FC and send the other one down to Australia to play some ODs? Or is it too radical? I have always kinda felt this might work, esp. for India...

Antihippy

Tredwell is the better odi spinner with better variation but Ali offers the team balance and as pews says Tredwell will be 37 next world cup. I think they will keep Tredwell around for a bit given the lack of alternatives at present in county cricket.
The variation of the ball that doesn't spin and another ball that doesn't spin? :ph34r:

For serious though, get moeen working on his change of pace and he'll be very good.