• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Neil Young set to release 'Homegrown' an album he recorded in 1974

mr_mister

Not sure how many Neil Young fans there are on CW but I'm sure i'm not the only one!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homegrown_(Neil_Young_album)

A sample song:

Pretty cool story. He's kept this thing gathering dust for 46 years because he felt it was too personal to release at the time or something like that.

I wonder how it will be received if its anywhere close to as good as Harvest, which as Young has said it will likely sound most like.

The songs from these sessions are largely acoustic, with many of the songs being solo performances of Young on guitar and harmonica. Young has said that "Homegrown is the missing link between Harvest, Comes a Time, Old Ways and Harvest Moon." The songs are quite personal, and revealed much of Young's feelings on his failing relationship at the time with actress Carrie Snodgress. "It was a little too personal...it scared me" Young would later explain to Cameron Crowe in interview.

I'm excited! Feels like I've entered a time machine listening to 'Vacancy'

Gnske

Is this a colourful way of just releasing B-Sides.

But nah interesting background. Can't wait to listen to the whole thing.

Smudge

One of my favourite days of driving was busting out a Neil Young compilation on a beautiful West Coast (NZ) day in April 2015 as I drove from Hokitika to Wanaka. Southern Alps to my left, oceans to my right and driving through stands of native forest every so often. I'll definitely hunt this out based on the single above.

mr_mister

Is this a colourful way of just releasing B-Sides.

But nah interesting background. Can't wait to listen to the whole thing.

Haha, if his explanation for not releasing it at the time for being 'too personal' is true and the only reason... then I guess it says nothing at all about the quality of music. So there's a chance there's just been this potential classic album every bit as good as Harvest(or even perhaps... better?) just sitting dormant lost in time due to Neil Young's weird eccentricities and insecurities. That's the coolest part of all this to me.

Last edited:

Spikey

Haha, if his explanation for not releasing it at the time for being 'too personal' is true and the only reason... then I guess it says nothing at all about the quality of music. So there's a chance there's just been this potential classic album every bit as good as Harvest(or even perhaps... better?) just sitting dormant lost in time due to Neil Young's weird eccentricities and insecurities. That's the coolest part of all this to me.
it doesn't really make sense since Tonight's the Night and On the Beach did get released and I can't imagine it being any darker than those two

mr_mister

yes, both are certainly dark but maybe the fact this was all about a women he was currently with put it on another level. Tonight's the night didn't really deal with that issue and I think only one song on On the Beach (Motion Pictures) explicitly deals with his relationship with Carrie.

This is an entire album about her, recorded while he was still with her. Maybe he thought releasing it at the time would damage his relationship further, and then after it ended maybe he felt weird releasing it for whatever reason. I guess we'll see when it's released how personal/diary-like the lyrics are.

It's quite an odd relationship he had with her, going by what I've read. He literally saw her in a movie and decided he wanted to marry her, apparently mainly based on the character she was playing in the movie. and he managed to use his fame and connections to pretty much make it happen(or at least to organise what i imagine would have been a very awkward first meeting).

he was a weird guy really and reading his book it seemed this relationship messed him up a bit. made awesome music though throughout the period

also, he apparently kept his live performance 'Live at Massey Hall' hidden away for nearly as long(recorded in the early '70s, released it about 12 years ago) because he thought it was of poor quality, and that ended up being IMO one of his best ever live albums.

So I buy his explanation here.

Last edited:

BoyBrumby

Englishman
it doesn't really make sense since Tonight's the Night and On the Beach did get released and I can't imagine it being any darker than those two
TBF the mad old buzzard did prevent On The Beach from getting an (official) release on CD for a good few years until what I thought was relatively recently, but was apparently 2003 when I just Googled it.

Tempus fugit and all that.

Spikey

ha! i had that in my original post but edited it out. it was because of audio quality issues. tbf, the first download I had of on the beach definitely had it's audio issues, I believe it was ripped from vinyl as i recall the surface noise so I reckon it's a rip from the original, although you can't prove these things. the audio was titled way towards one channel. the remastered one I have is much better.

mr_mister, there's a version of this story where Young had a listening party for Homegrown, in preparation for it's release, but the reel also had Tonight's the Night, which of course had been mothballed for a couple of years at this point, and Rick Danko and the others at the party told him to release that one instead. So to me it seems pure happenstance that Homegrown wasn't release at that time, but I can perhaps buy that it didn't get the same "release it two years later" treatment that Tonight got because Young didn't want to revisit that part of his life, but it still seems a bit strange to me

Last edited:

mr_mister

fair enough. maybe i just really want it to be good.

i guess we'll see shortly how it holds up! i certainly like Vacancy, and even if it is a quality issue, he didn't think highly of Massey Hall for decades and I loved it on first listen so I'm sure i'll likely be satisfied

Last edited: