• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

New Feature: Cricketing Myths by Patrick Ferriday

chasingthedon

Following on from Martin's piece on Big Hitters, guest writer Patrick Ferriday, author of Before the Lights Went Out, Masterly Batting, Supreme Bowling and In Tandem, provides his views on other popular cricketing myths, including West Indian fast bowling pair Wes Hall and Charlie Griffith, Michael Atherton's 185* against South Africa and CB Fry's brush with European royalty.

Cricketing Myths | Cricket Web

AndrewB

Reliable sources say that the occasion when Bradman was dropped by Walter Robins during the 1936-7 Ashes and captain Gubby Allen said to Robins "Don't worry, you've probably just cost us the Ashes" was during the 2nd Test, which England in fact won, so the dropped catch was irrelevant.
Many recent book and articles of cricket tales have tried to make it a better story by putting it at the start of Bradman's 270 in the 3rd Test (which Australia won on their way to winning the series 3-2 from 0-2 down).

Starfighter

Just gotta address a couple of these:

Wrong-foot bowling
Mike Procter’s bowling action was odd but it wasn’t that odd. The idea that he actually pivoted on his right foot while bowling high-pace right arm is just plain absurd and a physical impossibility. What he did do was bowl chest on and release the ball incredibly late in his action, so late that his right leg was as good as past his left leg when the ball left his hand. But that left foot was still firmly planted. Just have a look on YouTube.
It's actually the opposite of what the Patrick describes, in a 'wrong footed' action the opening of the hips and the swing of the arm occurs very early with respect to the delivery stride. Now side-on footage of Procter is hard to find, so I've got a front-on picture of Procter and a side-on picture of a bowler with a nearly identical action, a guy called Sandy Baxter who was a fast-medium amateur from the thirties, at left, and I've put them against a conventional contemporary of each, Graham McKenzie and Harold Larwood respectively, at right.

As you can see, the bowling arm is much closer to release at front foot contact for the 'wrong-footed' bowlers than for the conventional bowlers. You'll find this for other 'wrong-footed' bowlers such as Lala Amarnath and Sohail Tanvir as well. The front foot only contacts the ground just before delivery.

Pace Before 1914
The tales of pre-1914 pace bowlers are legion. Ernie Jones parting the doctor’s beard, Albert Kortright sending bails to the boundary or Tibby Cotter smashing stump after stump. But by and large they are tales and the overwhelming evidence points to genuine fast bowling being largely an undiscovered art until Gregory, McDonald and Larwood in the inter-war years. With no speed guns or reliable film footage how do we judge? Contemporary reports can be misleading but contemporary comparisons can also be revealing. South African JJ Kotze is usually bracketed with the quicks of the Edwardian age – but his ’keeper Ernest Halliwell was in the habit of standing up to the stumps. Look at pictures of Tom Richardson or Kortright in action and the wicketkeepers are barely five yards behind the stumps although the slips are plenty further back. George Hirst and Monty Noble both had their ‘keepers up. Tiger Smith often stood up to opening ‘quick’ Frank Foster. Go back a decade and Charlie Turner is described as ‘medium paced’ or even ‘medium fast’; he was in fact a spinner and was accurately measured at 55mph. Maybe Jones and Cotter were quick. Maybe. Jones took 32 wickets in four Tests at 17 each which smacks of something special. Unfortunately this was sandwiched in the middle of 15 other Tests where he managed just 32 more wickets. Cotter lasted longer but nothing points to him being outrageously fast compared to English contemporaries such as Fielder or Brearley. The very fastest bowlers were averaging less than 80mph.
I think this one's quite wrong. When Gregory and McDonald came along they were acknowledged as being very fast, but no-one said that they were the fastest ever. Your reliance on the keeper rather than the slips is strange considering that keepers can vary their position and keeping up to bowlers around the 130 km/h mark is not unknown these days even when keepers go back as a matter of course to almost anyone bowling seam up. In the golden age you are coming out of an era around 1880 or so when fast bowling had undergone a widely attested decline due to the advance in batsmanship making simply bowling fast without great accuracy, let alone movement, unviable. Hence keeping attitudes were very much 'all up to the stumps' even for bowlers faster than you might consider sensible. Keepers moved back - Dick Lilley was one of the first - when it became clear it was the better strategy. Whereas slips fielding has much less attested change. Since the ball obviously has to carry for the slips fielder to come in to play, they are a good indicator of pace. The forward position of keepers didn't disappear quickly, it's common inter-war to see them halfway, and you see it occasionally post war. Field distance is also poor to judge, say, Cotter, who was only 173 cm and bowled with a very low action, he simply wouldn't get the carry.

There were other changes too - bowling moved from mainly finger spun to seam up gradually up to the mid fifties, cutters are slower but they don't have to be loopy slower balls like in a modern T20, I've seen Broad and Gough bowl cutters at only around 5-8 km/h below their usual pace, Lillee and Trueman are known to have done the same. The stock delivery would have been slower by necessity for most fast bowlers, but the fastest not.

I do think there were certainly bowlers sometimes called 'fast' who were very much military medium by modern standards - Stanley Jackson is called 'fast' by some authors but Digby Jephson puts him as either fast or medium - 'fast-medium', which doesn't adopt its modern meaning (with variation) until about the mid-fifties. I do have my own theories on how the terminology has evolved, but that's neither here nor there.

Hirst and Foster are poor examples as they were considered just above medium type 'fast-medium' in their day, and Noble even worse, he was on the slower side of medium as far as I know. With Turner, he was considered slightly above medium at fastest by most and only Turner himself really seems to have thought he was 'fast-medium'. He was, as far as I know, measured at 89 km/h with a Boulenge chronograph, where the projectile has to penetrate two mesh screens and trip a circuit. Great for bullets and artillery, but - bearing in mind I'm no expert on chronographs - I don't think a poorly shaped object of low density like a cricket ball would be measured very accurately, with a big error slower due to loss of momentum on penetrating the first screen.

It's all and well dismissing opinions as 'in my day' nostalgia or 'tales' (and there is often some validity to this), but if, as you assert Patrick, modern fast bowling was very much a post-Great War phenomenon, well there are many witnesses who spanned the war, some such as Hobbs, Woolley and Rhodes even played with success. If it was a new thing, why didn't they notice?

Screen Shot 2019-04-08 at 9.17.05 AM.pngScreen Shot 2019-04-08 at 9.15.37 AM.pngScreen Shot 2019-04-08 at 9.13.12 AM.pngScreen Shot 2019-04-08 at 9.10.27 AM.png

Last edited:

ankitj

^ This post inspired me to search for Pocter video. Found this one below. His action is almost exactly like Sohail Tanvir's, isn't it?

Daemon

It's actually the opposite of what the Patrick describes, in a 'wrong footed' action the opening of the hips and the swing of the arm occurs very early with respect to the delivery stride. Now side-on footage of Procter is hard to find, so I've got a front-on picture of Procter and a side-on picture of a bowler with a nearly identical action, a guy called Sandy Baxter who was a fast-medium amateur from the thirties, at left, and I've put them against a conventional contemporary of each, Graham McKenzie and Harold Larwood respectively, at right.

As you can see, the bowling arm is much closer to release at front foot contact for the 'wrong-footed' bowlers than for the conventional bowlers. You'll find this for other 'wrong-footed' bowlers such as Lala Amarnath and Sohail Tanvir as well. The front foot only contacts the ground just before delivery.
Yeah this description is more accurate based on the video ankitj's just posted. It's not late, it's early.

NotMcKenzie

There is a different, poor-quality, video of the 1979 "World's Fastest Bowler" competition which has footage of Procter bowling from side-on. It shows that what the writer dismisses as an "absurd and a physical impossibility" is closer to the actual truth than what he describes.

Replay of Procter is at 2:19

This comparison from that video shows Procter (top) and Lillee (bottom) at back-foot "planting", when the bowling arm becomes visible at the bottom of the swing, the bowling arm at horizontal, and the same at vertical.

Screen Shot 2019-04-08 at 7.17.57 PM.jpg

Note that the timing of the two actions is quite different.

Furthermore, if you look carefully (such as at the shadow), you can see that Procter breaks contact with the ground entirely during his delivery stride, something that most bowlers do not.

Screen Shot 2019-04-08 at 7.21.33 PM.png

And if one steps through the frames carefully, one can see that Procter's toes have not come to rest completely on the ground at the point he releases the ball, hardly a well-planted front foot.

Screen Shot 2019-04-08 at 7.30.53 PM.png

(It is easier to see switching between them on youtube)

Last edited:

Starfighter

I would also note that Procter's back leg is actually further back than Lillee's.

Let's have another look at fast bowlers either side of the great war, pay attention to where the slips are standing

Kotze:

Lockwood:

Gregory:

McDonald:

Not so different are they?

Screen Shot 2019-04-08 at 5.31.43 PM.pngScreen Shot 2019-04-08 at 5.33.37 PM.png

Last edited:

the big bambino

You posted a vid of Copson getting Stollmeyer to sky a lifter to Verity in gully and the same pattern of slips standing much deeper than the keeper was evident too. The Kotze picture is the most surprising. The keeper's position looks most strange to me. Seems to be in no mans land. If a keep isn't going to stand over the stumps he should almost be as deep as the slips imo. Struggling to see the reasoning for their position.

NotMcKenzie

If a keep isn't going to stand over the stumps he should almost be as deep as the slips imo. Struggling to see the reasoning for their position.
This idea that the keeper should either be right up or right back is one that I've heard a lot, but it doesn't seem to have been one that anybody held prior to WWII; you can often see Ames keeping in a similar position to England's 30s fast bowlers. Slips cordons seem to have stood in straighter lines as well. I don't recall seeing any post-war keeper standing in such a spot.

I do wonder who first thought of that piece of advice because there is no real reason for it if the keeper is comfortable gathering the ball at the closer position. It seems to deny a bit of flexibility in field placement and may help if there is a tendency for the ball to keep low.

Daemon

I don't know if we should rely on slips and the keepers positions. They also depend on the type of pitch and how new the ball is.

the big bambino

I don't know if we should rely on slips and the keepers positions. They also depend on the type of pitch and how new the ball is.
Hasn't that been a constant throughout cricket's history? Most pictures I've seen of earlier eras have the keep standing far in advance of the slips irrespective of the condition of ball and pitch. I'd find it easier to look at things through the eyes of a previous generations if I could find their reasoning for it even if it turned out to be wrong. I just can't see why the keep is in this no mans land position. I can understand the unusual "straighter" line arrangement of the slips, even if its only speculation. I don't think they were as appreciative of angles back then as we are now.

Red Hill

The artist formerly known as Monk
Have catching styles in the slips and for the keeper changed?

Wondering whether the closeness of the keeper and the straight line of the slips might have been to do with a preference of catching the ball with the fingers pointed skywards rather than cupped and lower to the ground, with fingers facing down? Were they catching at chest height instead of at the waist or below?

I'm only speculating, but it might be the case?

NotMcKenzie

Catching with the fingers down was by far the more common method until recently, epsecially outside Australia, so I doubt that that has much to so with it. I don't think that fielders would have been as likely to dive across each other, so there would have been less reason to standing at the greatly differing distances one sees nowadays, and one can see this in the 50s as much as the 30s. One can also find film of Larwood bowling to a field where first slip is standing forward of second slip, so ideas for placement of the slips were more flexible than they are now.

Furthermore, bowlers definitely bowled fuller in the past, so the ball would have been less likely to fly over the head of a keeper standing close up.

the big bambino

From what I've read they had a bob each way. They seemed to favour one or more short legs even after bodyline. So if they were bowling short it was to get the ball into the ribs.

NotMcKenzie

There is a distinct lack of deliveries pitching half-way down and bouncing at or over batsmen's heads watching older footage. Of course, there were always a few and we have less footage, but watching film of Lindwall and Miller bowling "bumpers" in England in 1948, said deliveries are very much fuller than watching bowlers of the 70s bowl "bouncers".*

And sorry Dennis Lillee, but when you claim you never meant to threaten a batsman's head but rather target the ribs, you are lying quite badly. I know what one or the other looks like, and I know which you did.

*Incidentally, why has the term 'bumper' come back into vogue recently?

the big bambino

A recent book gives a representative example of the tactics employed. A lot of deliveries aimed at the region between thigh and ribs. But no mention of the head being deliberately aimed for.

NotMcKenzie

What's missing is extensive footage from prior to the 70s showing it was common to bowl at the neck and head. There is extensive footage from the 70s to now showing that this is commonly done—and it is unlikely that they are all accidental— and it often successfully takes a wicket, but evidence from the past is lacking, and newreels show deliveries described as bumpers that are much fuller than what are called bouncers or bumpers these days; there are head-height deliveries, but they are much rarer from the availbale material compared to the fuller sort of bumper (Miller's ball to Hutton in 1946 or some by Griffith are examples).

'Those who watched whole matches' probably did not do a progressive write up of deliveries and apparent tactics as they happened, but were writing after the fact or at intervals. In case of discussing tactics as a general matter, they would have been writing well after the fact, unlike a newspaper report. And observations can be often be faulty and misremembered, and if the writer has an agenda or feels a need to defend or justify themselves—even subconsciously, it may affect what they say. Jardine tried to justify Bodyline as being little different to leg-theory as practised before; Ian Chappell consistantly denies behaving in an unbecoming manner or condoning poor behaviour on the field whilst Mike Brearley claimed that Chappell "turns cricket match into gang warfare" and once encouraged the crowd to jeer him.

People will be unlikely to admit that they deliberately behave rudely on the field or bowl dangerously: this would reflect very poorly on them. See all the Australians spouting off about 'the line' and such things before the controversy in South Africa; we attempted to show our behaviour was justified and perfectly fine, and everyone else reckoned we were being dishonest and minimising it, and piled in when we did something undeniably wrong.

Furthermore, from comparison, written reports are not necessarily more detailed than long (~60 min long) highlights, and may be less detailed depending on whether one is trying to write a history, a more personalised account, or a 'how to play cricket' or 'look at tactics' sort of book. I have read newspaper reports quite extensively, and they don't include a glossary of the terms employed, forcing one to compare to visual evidence.