• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

New Zealand A Tour of India and Sri Lanka

Maximas

Interesting situation with SL's next batsman in line, Vithanage was next in line about 4 months ago, but Silva has surely leapfrogged him by now, had the SL-Zim tests gone ahead I would have picked a line-up of:

Karunaratne
Dilshan
Sanga
Thirimanne
Mahela
Silva
Chandi
Kula
Herath
Eranga
Lakmal (not sure why this guy isn't playing right now btw)

hendrix

As expected, this bowling attack is a joke.

As we've seen, the difference between Southee + Boult and Southee or Boult is tremendous. Henry, Bracewell, Milne should not be operating as lone wolves. I can't see what they'd be learning from being punished for runs upon runs. Learning to bowl to defensive fields? sorry, but we have limited overs cricket for that.

Definitely starting to sympathise with Flem's "pick the best team" stance.

Flem274*

123/5
Boult is about to get another chance to impress without Southee there against a team that doesn't have Amla and Kallis in it. I'm annoyed Southee won't be there but still keen to see Boult lead the attack and the shoot out between Dougeh and Wagner.

Southee and Boult are both 24 and the others (barring Wagner and Gillespie) are 21-22. I think they're just having some growing pains like Southee and Boult did at their age (and they still get a few).

RxGM

As we've seen, the difference between Southee + Boult and Southee or Boult is tremendous. Henry, Bracewell, Milne should not be operating as lone wolves. I can't see what they'd be learning from being punished for runs upon runs. Learning to bowl to defensive fields? sorry, but we have limited overs cricket for that.

I agree with Flem pick the best team but Bracewell does need to learn to bowl to defensive fields he is becoming to much of a pressure release, when the ball stops talking.

Flem274*

123/5
Dougeh just needs to pitch it up and look for his natural outswing again like he did early on, but he may well be doing that again now. Whoever put this "bang it in back of a length" idea in his head needs to be taken out the back and shot.

hendrix

I agree with Flem pick the best team but Bracewell does need to learn to bowl to defensive fields he is becoming to much of a pressure release, when the ball stops talking.
while a miserly economy would be nice, I'd much prefer it if he just focused on taking wickets. With the starts Southee and Boult have been regularly giving us lately, we should be looking to bowl sides out before the new ball arrives, not have to wait so that our new ball bowlers can come back and finish it off.

Immenso

I disagree. It's not pretty, but this is a realistic bowling balance for these conditions.

2 fast bowlers
2 spinners
1 3rd seamer

Where it does get unrealistic is NZ would never play 2 leg spinners, but that can't be helped as there are no finger spinners who fit the 'A' criteria. Although Sodhi's average is now getting close to Johnson.

From an opportunity POV. It would be criminal to waste the opportunity of 4 'A' tests in the SC and not find out about our spinners. We're all learning valuable knowledge. But for a test we would rightly play 3 fast bowlers with current stocks.

As for the fast bowlers I assume they are learning in SC conditions; attack with the new ball, a spell in holding pattern, and then attack with a reversing old ball.

3rd seamer performs his role of permanent holding pattern. Which would have been Anderson or Neesham ideally, but circumstance mean it is Ellis.

This a valuable game, with a realistic attack, we are learning a lot about the players (I hope) and the players are learning about about SC pitches, batsmen, ball conditions, and climate/ fitness. This is good stuff, getting stuffed on day 1 is not unrealistic.

Kippax

there are no finger spinners who fit the 'A' criteria. Although Sodhi's average is now getting close to Johnson.
Yeah Ajaz Patel had a rep from SteveNZ as just a useful T20 spinner didn't he. Never actually looked at his PS hauls in the vault tbh.

Flem274*

123/5
I can't recall what Johnston averages and cbf to look it up but I've watched him bowl and I think there is something to work with there. I hope he gets more opportunities at Canterbury this season.

Immenso

I mentioned Johnston, as I think he would be the closest finger spinner in this category. But he has missed a Canterbury contract. He averages about 50.
McConchie looked ok from memory , when I viewed his wickets in the vault.

Including B Martin on this tour would have been good, rotating him with the leggies, and getting pre-Bang overs in like Gillespie and Bracewell. But I read today what sounded like a winter of recovery from a quite awful injury at Lords.

Kippax

Had a bit of a look at Ajaz. He should have an updated Cricinfo page really, feels like I should really know more about him than I do about Jono Boult.

BackFootPunch

Mark Craig, bois. He's the goods. Thought he might have left Otago in search of more opportunities but still think he'll play over Beard in the 4 day stuff.

Bahnz

Heh no overs for Tastle on day 2. I don't agree with the ND conspiracy theories, but the management of Astle on this tour has been objectively poor.

Flem274*

123/5
NZ A aren't starting too badly. I see they kept the CD number three Cachopa opening after his ton there the other day and Devcich the ND FC opener or number 6 scored 39 off two seconds at number three.

I think they're just pulling names out of a hat for the batting order. That or they're looking at Chops as a possible test opener. Who knows.

straw man

Lol, Munners. We could've had a sweepstake on that mode of dismissal.
Yes, that or caught mis-hitting a loft to long on. Munro certainly deserved to be on this tour after last domestic season but 15 runs at 3 suggests a fair bit of work to do against spin, to put it mildly.

Kippax

It was a very small sample size, but the basic vault filter work I did on each bowler to Munro really wasn't wrong, was it. :p

Wells to ask Kippax to tweet the cliffs to them again, but they're the Yankees now. Will try to place my main season bet at the TAB first this year.

Kippax

Arnel 5/0 (15 balls)
Astle 22/1 (42)
Beard 19/0 (25)
Boam 66/0 (55)
Boult 0/0 (0)
Bracewell 50/1 (48)
Butler 31/1 (33)
Duffy 13/0 (9)
Elliott 35/0 (50)
Ellis 30/0 (38)
Gillespie 84/2 (76)