• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Nominate your top 15 best ever test opening batsmen - another in my countdown series

mr_mister

I ended up giving up on the ODI batsmen countdown thread, it was silly of to me to think I'd be able to handle doing that **** on an ipad. But I now have a laptop and plenty of free time so I'll guaran-damn-tee I'll finish this one.

I'm even culling the voting lists down from 20 to 15 entries to make things easier for myself and for voters. And I won't bother with all the extra little stats I went for last time. I'll keep it simple. A batman's ranking, their points and a write-up.

For those who haven't participated in these it's quite simple, you list your personal top 15 players(in this case test opening batsmen) from 1-15 and I'll allocate 15 points for 1st, 14 for 2nd etc etc. then at the end I'll tally the points and start a rankings countdown.

Consider players solely on their record as an opening batsman of course - so someone like Alec Stewart who averaged over 45 as an opening bat but only 39 overall shouldn't be considered a 39 averaging player for the sake of this exercise. And of course if you highly value things other than stats like ability to see off the new ball or being able to bring the attack to the new ball bowlers consider all that in your rankings too. Just basically relate everything back to opening the batting.

I feel like the top 4 should be more or less set in stone, much like the top 4 was for the spinners thread, but the order of course is up in the air - and it's always fun to see who ends up as a surprise packet in the top 10. After that predictable top 4 I feel it's a very open field.

I'm looking for at least 20 voters and I'll probably have the countdown be somewhere between 25-30 names, depending on how many different players get a few votes. Maybe featuring on 3 lists will be enough to make the cut - but I am wary of the fact I didn't finish my last countdown

Okay, submit your lists!

stephen

Hobbs
Hutton
Sutcliffe
Simpson
B Richards
Hayden
Ponsford
Woodfull
Lawry
Morris
Trumper
Gavaskar
G Smith
Greenidge
Sehwag

TNT

Banned
Hobbs
Hutton
Sutcliffe
Simpson
B Richards
Hayden
Ponsford
Woodfull
Lawry
Morris
Trumper
Gavaskar
G Smith
Greenidge
Sehwag
How can you include B Richards, he only played 4 test matches and never played an away match.

mr_mister

Hobbs
Hutton
Sutcliffe
Gavaskar
Greenidge
Hayden
Boycott
Morris
Trumper
Sehwag
Gooch
Slater
Ponsford
Fredericks
Atherton

Last edited:

SillyCowCorner1

1.Sehwag
2. H. Sutcliffe
3. Graeme Smith
4. Boycott
5. Gordon Greenidge
6. Desmond Haynes
7. Conrad Hunte
8. Roy Fredericks
9. Bill Lawry
10. Bobby Simpson
11. Cook
12. Gooch
13. Bruce Mitchell
14. Hanif Mohammad
15. Bill Woodfull

Slifer

Hobbs
Hutton
Gavaskar
Sutcliffe
Boycott
Ponsford
G Smith
Anwar
Greenidge
Hunte
Lawry
Simpson
Hayden
Morris
Sehwag

stephen

Shouldn't Gavaskar be omitted because he's not apologized for his views in Jamaica?
Nah but he really is completely overrated. Scored a huge number of runs against a poor West Indian bowling attack in 71. Because of that series and a few other big hundreds on roads he gets pumped up as this awesome opener. Which, to be fair, he was. But his exploits against the West Indies are dramatically overrated.

Last edited:

SillyCowCorner1

Nah but he really is completely overrated. Scored a huge number of runs against a poor West Indian bowling attack in 71. Because of that series and a few other big hundreds on roads he gets pumped up as this awesome opener. Which, to be fair, he was. But his exploits against the West Indies are dramatically overrated.
I guess he gets in because of his impact. And notoriety.