• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

ODI Double Century?

Simon

WCC Staff
i dont think we will even see massive teams scores, in most games i wouldnt be surprised to see 240-260 a winning score from the team batting first nearly every time.

Eclipse

Im pritty sure any of the Australian top 3 could do it if they got a good chance to.

And I would say 250 would be the minimum amount of runs you would need most matches. The grounds are bigger than most but there still quite small compaired to Aus grounds.

Bazza

No I would say South Africa has big grounds compared to the likes of England and the sub-continent, New Zealand also. This means if 250+ is a good score in those places 250 is a good score in South Africa.

I am seriously doubting now we will see anything approaching 200 from an individual. A side would need to make 350 for that to be possible, and that is unlikely.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Im not sure about SA grounds compared with aussie ones, but I think someone will be very hard pressed to score a 200 on the test grounds. Maybe at Paarl or Pietermaritzburg where the boundaries are smaller but I am not sure who is playing there :cool2:

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Sat 08 Opening ceremony under lights Newlands, Cape Town
Sun 09 D/N 12.30 GMT 1 South Africa v West Indies B Newlands, Cape Town
Mon 10 Day 8am GMT 2 Sri Lanka v New Zealand B Goodyear Park, Bloemfontein
Mon 10 Day 7.30 GMT 3 Zimbabwe v Namibia A Harare Sports Club, Harare
Tues 11 Day 8am GMT 4 Australia v Pakistan A The Wanderers, Johannesburg
Tues 11 D/N 12.30 GMT 5 Bangladesh v Canada B Kingsmead, Durban
Wed 12 Day 8am GMT 6 South Africa v Kenya B North West Stadium, Potchefstroom
Wed 12 Day 8am GMT 7 India v Holland A Boland Park, Paarl
Thu 13 Day 8am GMT 8 West Indies v New Zealand B St. George’s Park, Port Elizabeth
Thu 13 Day 7.30 GMT 9 Zimbabwe v England A Harare Sports Club, Harare
Fri 14 Day 8am GMT 10 Sri Lanka v Bangladesh B Pietermaritzburg Oval, Pietermaritzburg
Sat 15 D/N 12.30 GMT 11 Kenya v Canada B Newlands, Cape Town
Sat 15 Day 8am GMT 12 Australia v India A SuperSport Park, Centurion
Sun 16 Day 8am GMT 13 South Africa v New Zealand B The Wanderers, Johannesburg
Sun 16 Day 8am GMT 14 England v Holland A Buffalo Park, East London
Sun 16 Day 8am GMT 15 Pakistan v Namibia A De Beers Diamond Oval, Kimberley
Mon 17 Day
Tues 18 Day 8am GMT 16 West Indies v Bangladesh B Willowmoore Park, Benoni
Wed 19 Day 8am GMT 17 England v Namibia A St. George’s Park, Port Elizabeth
Wed 19 Day 8am GMT 18 Sri Lanka v Canada B Boland Park, Paarl
Wed 19 Day 7.30 GMT 19 Zimbabwe v India A Harare Sports Club, Harare
Thu 20 Day 8am GMT 20 Australia v Holland A North West Stadium, Potchefstroom
Fri 21 Day 7.30 GMT 21 New Zealand v Kenya B Nairobi Gymkhana Club, Nairobi
Sat 22 D/N 12.30 GMT 22 England v Pakistan A Newlands, Cape Town
Sat 22 Day 8am GMT 23 South Africa v Bangladesh B Goodyear Park, Bloemfontein
Sun 23 Day 8am GMT 24 West Indies v Canada B SuperSport Park, Centurion
Sun 23 Day 8am GMT 25 India v Namibia A Pietermaritzburg Oval, Pietermaritzburg
Mon 24 Day 7.30 GMT 26 Zimbabwe v Australia A Queen’s Ground, Bulawayo
Mon 24 Day 7.30 GMT 27 Sri Lanka v Kenya B Nairobi Gymkhana Club, Nairobi
Tues 25 Day 8am GMT 28 Pakistan v Holland A Boland Park, Paarl
Wed 26 D/N 12.30 GMT 29 England v India A Kingsmead, Durban
Wed 26 Day 8am GMT 30 New Zealand v Bangladesh B De Beers Diamond Oval, Kimberley
Thu 27 Day 8am GMT 31 South Africa v Canada B Buffalo Park, East London
Thu 27 Day 8am GMT 32 Australia v Namibia A North West Stadium, Potchefstroom
Fri 28 D/N 12.30 GMT 33 Sri Lanka v West Indies B Newlands, Cape Town
Fri 28 Day 7.30 GMT 34 Zimbabwe v Holland A Queen’s Ground, Bulawayo
March
Sat 01 Day 8am GMT 35 Kenya v Bangladesh B The Wanderers, Johannesburg
Sat 01 Day 8am GMT 36 Pakistan v India A SuperSport Park, Centurion
Sun 02 Day 8am GMT 37 Australia v England A St. George’s Park, Port Elizabeth
Mon 03 Day 8am GMT 38 New Zealand v Canada B Willowmoore Park, Benoni
Mon 03 D/N 12.30 GMT 39 South Africa v Sri Lanka B Kingsmead, Durban
Mon 03 Day 8am GMT 40 Namibia v Holland A Goodyear Park, Bloemfontein
Tues 04 Day 8am GMT 41 West Indies v Kenya B De Beers Diamond Oval, Kimberley
Tues 04 Day 8am GMT 42 Zimbabwe v Pakistan A Queen’s Ground, Bulawayo

Paarl: India v Holland (12-2), Sri Lanka v Canada (19-2), Pakistan v Holland (25-2)
Pietermaritzburg: Sri Lanka v Bangladesh (14-2), India v Namibia (23-2)

Suitably mismatched!

Jayasuriya or Sehwag for me...

Tim

Looking at Astle during the domestic competition, he looks to be heading into some explosive form.

I reckon he'd be a good outside bet against Canada to go close to a double century, especially after the experience he would have got from the 222 against England.

Gilly18

I don't think the South African can be all that big. Last year Australia toured there and in one of the ODIs SA scored 326 and Australia replied with 330 with a couple of overs to spare and both teams have good bowling attacks. Also in the test matches Gilly played an innings of 204* off about 200 balls which included 8 sixes I think and at least half of these nearly went completely out the ground. (He nearly hit the million dollar sign situated at the top of the stand twice.)

I reckon if a player gets on a roll and starts to hit the ball well I reckon, especially against the weaker sides, a player will be able to score a double century

Langeveldt

Soutie
Gilly18 said:
I don't think the South African can be all that big. Last year Australia toured there and in one of the ODIs SA scored 326 and Australia replied with 330 with a couple of overs to spare and both teams have good bowling attacks. Also in the test matches Gilly played an innings of 204* off about 200 balls which included 8 sixes I think and at least half of these nearly went completely out the ground. (He nearly hit the million dollar sign situated at the top of the stand twice.)

I reckon if a player gets on a roll and starts to hit the ball well I reckon, especially against the weaker sides, a player will be able to score a double century

But is Adam Gilchrist human? I think we have already discussed that.
On big grounds you can also run far more singles and 2's because the fielders are spaced further out, so it evens out a bit in the end...

R_Powell_fan

hmmm interresting topic, I don't think Sehwag will do it in this World Cup because he tends to get out while he is hitting out a lot....so does Gilchrist to a lesser extent, What about Hayden coz he can do it if he gets going.

As for Gayle he has the same problem as Trescothick regarding feet movement.

Jayasuriya just needs some confidence back and he'll be off, What about Saeed Anwar I know he hasn't really done well for a while but who knows??

So my nominees(in no particular order):

*Astle( certainly)
*Hayden
*Jayasuriya
*Flintoff(assuming he opens, coz I heard he once scored 221* in a one-day Limited overs First class game, not sure if it is List A or not)
*Anwar

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Whilst Trescothick, Knight and Vaughan are fit, there's no way in the world that Flintoff would make 200. He'd be knackered after 40 overs anyway.. :)

As for the 221*...

LIST A LIMITED OVERS
(1995 - 2002/03; last updated 29/01/2003)
Mat Inn NO Runs HSc Avrge T 50 Ct St
166 148 12 3664 143 26.94 3 20 62 0

So, it was either in a tin-pot match or an "enhanced" version of the truth.

I will be very, very surprised if he scores a double ton in the WC.

Rik

Neil Pickup said:
Whilst Trescothick, Knight and Vaughan are fit, there's no way in the world that Flintoff would make 200. He'd be knackered after 40 overs anyway.. :)

As for the 221*...

LIST A LIMITED OVERS
(1995 - 2002/03; last updated 29/01/2003)
Mat Inn NO Runs HSc Avrge T 50 Ct St
166 148 12 3664 143 26.94 3 20 62 0

So, it was either in a tin-pot match or an "enhanced" version of the truth.

I will be very, very surprised if he scores a double ton in the WC.
He will not open, he will bat at 6 or 7, or will be promoted up to 3 or 4. That 143 was scored off only 60 odd balls, or was that the 135* or something? I don't know...Surrey were "Flintoffed" but I doubt he would have been able to score much more...Ali Brown did but I don't know how...

PY

Rik said:
He will not open, he will bat at 6 or 7, or will be promoted up to 3 or 4. That 143 was scored off only 60 odd balls, or was that the 135* or something? I don't know...Surrey were "Flintoffed" but I doubt he would have been able to score much more...Ali Brown did but I don't know how...
Do you mean in certain situations he will come out at 3 or 4 or he might start there?if so, what situations?

Rik

PROUD+ENGLISH said:
Do you mean in certain situations he will come out at 3 or 4 or he might start there?if so, what situations?
He's a good hitter in the last 10 overs. If England get up to 40 overs loosing 3 wickets then he will come in. There is no point in wasting him. Also put him up at 3 or 4 if you want to push to scoring rate up, he scores at the rate a Pitch Hitter does but is less likely to get out cheaply...

R_Powell_fan

Mr.xyzptlk : Naaaaah.....Gayle has a weak heart and his arms will probably seize up again....:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

As for Flintoff he really did....I read it in an article/profile about him and he is said to have hit one so far that it broke a car's front window in a parking lot outside the stadium.

Rik

R_Powell_fan said:
Mr.xyzptlk : Naaaaah.....Gayle has a weak heart and his arms will probably seize up again....:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

As for Flintoff he really did....I read it in an article/profile about him and he is said to have hit one so far that it broke a car's front window in a parking lot outside the stadium.
Maybe in an age group game then!

Keith Newell of Glamorgan hit a 6 into the car park and straight through Robert Croft's new car's windscreen, so he got back on the phone and phoned up his insurer! Newell was pitch hitting opening the innings in the place of Croft too!

Eclipse

R_Powell_fan said:

Brett Lee did that In a game Vs India in ICC knockout tournement two years ago.

He smashed the hell out off it it was a backfoot on-drive witch went a mile out of the stadium and smashed a car window in a parking lot near a conveniance store.

I reckon Brett Lee can hit the ball longer than anyone in Internation cricket when he middles it.

Mr Mxyzptlk

R_Powell_fan said:

But he has shown that he can bat throughout an innings as he played to the 40+ overs a few times in India and has a Test 200. We all know that he can hit the ball and with his power, he could score the 200 before his arms seize up. :)

Eclipse

Well Wishart of Zimbabwe just tonked 172* against Namibia and If he can get that close then I am sure better batsman could make a 200 against Namibia.