• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in South Africa 2013/14

social

Yes and sometimes good bowlers don't bowl well. But anytime Philander has an off day his record is brought up and we're told he's not the best in the world.
Reckon there are a couple of reasons for this

Firstly, SA matches aren't broadcast via mainstream media to many countries so some are unfamiliar with his bowling style and are disappointed when they discover that he isn't Malcolm Marshall reincarnate

Secondly, his record is ridiculously good and it's nigh on impossible to continue like that forever so he well overdue for a downturn

Top_Cat

Yep, declare. The issue is time; regardless of whether SA bat well, the Aussies need time to have a bash and set them a target.

Spikey

Mark Taylor memorably declared overnight when his score was equal to that of Bradman's, will Clarke do the same given he is equal to Doolan's score?

adub

I think he should and will bat on.

With the early starts he'll get back 90mins of the time lost so realistically he's only lost a bit over an hour. It's also Australia's last test for months and the attack has been freshened up with two fresh quicks so he should have no particular reason not to enforce if he can knock em over >200 behind. With Steyn out of the picture he can also burn up tired bowlers a bit more. With only the tail it's not like he'll be looking to bat past lunch but another hour - 90mins could put on 50-70 or so if we can last which puts the follow on out past 350 and be the difference in having to bat again or not.

The pitch is still good to bat on, but it's only going to get more uneven and Lyon will come into it more and more over the next few days. Obvs if SA bat well we're heading for a draw, but to me the best chance of a win looks to be bat once at this stage. The danger of batting again is you may either bat too long and so let the buggers escape with a draw (and these bastards have form hurting us in the 4th innings), or we repeat last time here and collapse to let em back in to win it. Much better odds for us avoiding a second bat and if needed it should only be a small target against a weakened attack with no front line spinner.

social

Also need to consider batting on if outfield is damp as no point taking the risk of ****ing up new ball for the sake of 30 minutes extra bowling

Gut feel is that this pitch isn't bad to bowl on at all but a combination of unsettling wind, good batting, no Steyn and some average performances from the likes of Philander made it look better than it is

Spark

Global Moderator
Also need to consider batting on if outfield is damp as no point taking the risk of ****ing up new ball for the sake of 30 minutes extra bowling

Gut feel is that this pitch isn't bad to bowl on at all but a combination of unsettling wind, good batting, no Steyn and some average performances from the likes of Philander made it look better than it is
Yeah I dunno if you can make a useful judgement on the pitch based on Elgar and Duminy's bowling on it - Abbott and Morkel both looked reasonably threatening on it but they just had nothing from the other end at any stage.

Top_Cat

Can you clarify what you mean here?
Unless SA fail to make the follow-on so spectacularly that Clarke has basically no choice but to enforce it, it's reasonable to assume the Aussies will bat again and set SA a target to chase. 3 days left in the game doesn't leave much time, especially if SA do actually bat okay, even if they don't get a great score, there are enough ****s in the SA line-up who can bat time and whilst SA have an incentive to go for the W as of now, that will disappear quickly if they even get in the slightest bit of trouble.

Last edited:

Top_Cat

Agree with Social too, this pitch is playing a bit unevenly and there's useful amounts of lateral movement. SA will have to bat well.

Second Spitter

Clarke probably has budgeted 2 days + 1 session to bowl SA out twice.

That leaves 2 sessions + overtime of batting for Oz including second dig.

So bat on, imo.

Second Spitter

there are enough ****s in the SA line-up who can bat time and whilst SA have an incentive to go for the W as of now, that will disappear quickly if they even get in the slightest bit of trouble.
They do. But i suspect their approach from the outset will be reminiscent of their 1st inning at PE.... i.e. extreme stodginess.. I can already picture gsmith saying something like: "Don't worry about the runs, worry about occupying the crease"... or words to similar effect.

Some reports say Day 3 will be the best day to bat on this pitch........i find that hard to believe (although i'm not privy to the conditions). I feel the wicket will increasingly become two-paced with variable bounce.

Which will all works in OZ's favour.

Spark

Global Moderator
If Day 3 is the best day to bat then that hardly strengthens the case for an immediate declaration - if you've got to bat for a bit more in the game, there's an argument to be made to bat when it's easiest and deny the opposition a little more time on the pitch when it's at its best.

Undecided personally, but I do reckon he'll declare straight away regardless on the "it's Michael Clarke" logic.