• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia vs New Zealand ODIs 2016/17

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Yeah this is embarrassing and what makes this even more disappointing is the fact this was NZ Crickets marquee ODI series, with a lot of marketing etc and this is what happens?
Spot on with the no planning call too, how on earth is this happening in international cricket?

I feel for the fans in Napier, they deserve better than this too.
Is it a marquee series when you've played the first two games on a Monday and a Thursday? Unless one of them was a public holiday?

SteveNZ

What a great (or horrid) example of the ongoing incompetence of cricket administrators. A collective group of people who haven't had an original or forward-thinking idea in their lives. Unfortunately these people are the same ones who have the future of Test cricket in their hands.

Does NZC have a scheduling manager? Who's job is this? Perhaps the aptly named 'Anthony Crummy' who was quoted as the COO today? Clearly a 'yeah, it won't rain in Napier in January' even though that's exactly what happened last year. We already have an opponent who struggles to care about this series, then we want to play it on a ground that is clearly not fit to hold international cricket if it can't hold that amount of rain? We held an ODI last year and in 2013 rained off with blue skies and NZC still gives this ground games? Absolute horse **** from an organisation that is led by perhaps the most uninspiring, unprogressive leader in its history.

This stinks, but I'm sure as per today's rain, any accountability or justifiable heat on NZC will blow over.

SteveNZ

Almost literally as I posted this, New Zealand Cricket sent out an email to their membership base - Video Highlights of the 2nd ODI. And the captured image in the email is people walking out of McLean Park. visibly angry.

:laugh: Honestly, I haven't made that up.

Anyone hoping for an upswing in for our cricketing fortunes should remember back to the bad old days of Justin Vaughan, then remind themselves that the guy in charge now is actually worse.

SteveNZ

Napier.jpg

100% legit image. I didn't click the link initially as I was laughing too hard. But now a) the main image link doesn't work b) if I click on the 'have trouble viewing email?' link it goes to a link of NZ v Australia from the Gabba c) if you then click on that image link, it goes to the 7th ODI between NZ and Sri Lanka in 2015 pre World Cup.

David White's NZC, everyone.

Last edited:

Regan

NZC were so desperate to win a series they sabotaged the ground. Sad!
Tbh I'm still not sure if this favours NZ or Aus, sure we can't lose the series but Aus just need to win the 3rd match to retain the trophy now, a game they had to win even if they won the 2nd to retain it.

My understanding is both captains didn't want to play when the umpires were keen. I'd say there's pros and cons for both teams in not playing in terms of the series.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Cheers.

The only good thing about the whole fiasco will be Jono getting wound up like a thousand day clock over it. Again.

Terrible for the supporters sitting there hoping for a game though. Truly *********.
You were so **** in that thread. Just argued for no reason.

fishyguy

ruined my night. I have miserable life to begin with and cricket is the only thing that brings any joy. damn you people!!

indigo1

I was listening to the CD manager and he thought the drainage is fine - had no issues with drainage when it rained it before a recent super smash game. Given how dijected the groundsman looked, I wonder if he over watered it in the days prior

SteveNZ

I was listening to the CD manager and he thought the drainage is fine - had no issues with drainage when it rained it before a recent super smash game. Given how dijected the groundsman looked, I wonder if he over watered it in the days prior
He's kidding himself (the manager).

What was it, 5.8mm that fell in total? You can't 'over water' a ground like that by hand and have it ruin the ground's preparation. If it didn't rain after 1.15pm as I'm reading, and it's 5.8mm, there's every reason to expect play from an international ground.

And it's happened before at that ground, where a certain amount of rain fall has curtailed a game where it shouldn't. Maybe they were able to push through weather at domestic level but I don't want to watch international cricketers slipping around in the field and having to tread on eggshells in their bowling runups, nor do they want to risk injury.

Immenso

Was at GnR at the cake tin.

With only 4 ground in NZ with lights (for cricket), the reason Napier got this game is that the cake tin was otherwise occupied.

Sounds like they need to work on the drainage.