• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Champions Trophy Discussion

kears_falcon_9

Big game for who ever makes their debut (thommo or halsey). Great right up there Liam. Surprising Kallis hasnt done much in the tournament.

Robertinho

Wow. This is great, should be a massive final. Good to see imarkus piling on the runs. Blewy, buts and Hoyus Boyus Maximus also made huge contributions. Good luck to everyone.

Mr Mxyzptlk

The final will be broadcast at 8am TT time tomorrow (Wednesday) - 12 noon London, 11pm Sydney.

The CW XI squad will be named before the toss.

thewizard1o1

I agree David that was a real pain...:)

Will be interesting to see who the selectors go with for the final makeup of the team.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Cricket Web XI CT Final Squad

I Markus
LA Camps
BJ Goff (C)
CR Butler
DA Kearsley
MJ Robbins
AP Chaulk (wk)
NS Hoy
DJ Watt
NS Pickup
KS Wright

12th Man: TC Halsey

South Africa CT Final Squad

GC Smith (C)
AJ Hall
JH Kallis
HH Gibbs
AG Prince
JM Kemp
MV Boucher (wk)
SM Pollock
N Boje
M Ntini
A Nel

12th Man: AB de Villiers

Loony BoB

Gutted to not be home for the sim, would have loved to be there. Stupid work. :( Come on, guys, let's take the trophy!

Mr Mxyzptlk

THE FINAL:
Kemp and Kallis shatter Webhead dreams
Cricket Web XI vs South Africa
at Lord's

Though it had eluded them throughout the tournament, the batting form of Jacques Kallis and Justin Kemp came to fruition in the final of the Champions Trophy, taking devastating effect against the Cricket Web XI bowlers. The allrounders rescued South Africa from 82/5 with a partnership of 197 off just 178 balls for the sixth wicket.

The effort helped hoist the South Africans to the highly improbable score of 304/8, given their dismal start. Bowling first after winning the toss, Cricket Web received an immediate boost from Dave Watt, and he removed both South African openers in the first over of the innings.

Wright, Camps and Hoy contributed a wickets each, and when Boucher was caught for 1, fortunes seeemed to favour Cricket Web rather decisively. Kallis was not deterred, and though he had scored 49 runs off 47 to that point, his counterattack only increased in scale and effect. Alongside the worthy Kemp, Kallis scored 98 runs off his next 91 balls with 9 fours and 2 sixes.

In the period from the 36th to the 40th over, some 51 runs were scored by the Africans, and though the Cricket Web bowlers then fought back somewaht to take 3 wickets and allow only 68 runs in the final ten overs, the damage was certainly done. Most damning to the effort of the Cricket Web XI was the evidence of Kemp being dropped when on 45 and then again just 2 runs later.

Set the huge target, the Webheads did not look at all over-rawed in the early going. Though disappointed by their performance in the field, they drew upon the evidence of two large chases in the games leading into the final, and with that confidence, the openers added 122 for the first wicket and the game was most certainly on.

Enter Nicky Boje. On a track which had not significantly assisted spin to the point, Boje turned the game South Africa's way with 3 quick wickets. At the other end Makhaya Ntini ended the champagne wishes of Ian Markus, removing him 11 short of a second consecutive ODI hundred. When he then dismissed Kearsley for 7, the Webheads had stuttered from 122/0 to 172/5, losing obvious momentum in the collapse.

Ash Chaulk partnered Marc Robbins, and the two injected life into the chase once again. However, when the latter was adjudged lbw against Andre Nel, Chaulk seemingly lost his was and could not find the boundary with as much urgency and regularity as was needed when batting with the tail. Though unbeaten with a half-century, the superb death bowling of Andrew Hall meant that Chaulk finished a very disappointed man.

Conditions: Overcast; a bit of seam movement; good batting pitch
Toss: Cricket Web XI

South Africa 304/8 (50 overs)
Cricket Web XI 282/8 (50 overs)

South Africa won by 22 runs.
South Africa are Season IX Champion Trophy winners.

Man of the Match: JH Kallis

Attachments

PY

Crap, great effort guys.

Know what it's like to play in a losing final, heads up you did us proud.

Slats4ever

damn kallis.... oh well a great tournament for us i feel. We really finished it off the last few games strongly, it's just ashame we couldn't finish it off.

Personally I'm over the moon at my performances. Hopefully it should've cemented my place in the OD side and put me under less pressure in the future....