• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Champions Trophy Discussion

Mr Mxyzptlk

Cricket Web XI vs Sri Lanka

Game to be simmed at 8am local time tomorrow (Monday) morning. That'd be 11pm in Sydney and 12 noon in London. Is that okay with the majority?

Mr Mxyzptlk

Woke up this morning and my father was on the PC. I've only just liberated it. I could do the sim now or reschedule until tomorrow. Thoughts?

kears_falcon_9

There is about 4 of us online atm(well that i have on my list) i really wanna see the game.. and if u wanna sim it now then go ahead.. totally up to u.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
kears_falcon_9 said:
There is about 4 of us online atm(well that i have on my list) i really wanna see the game.. and if u wanna sim it now then go ahead.. totally up to u.
I would like to see it now, I think this tournament needs to get a move on...

Mr Mxyzptlk

SEMI-FINAL 2:
Patient Markus anchors thrilling chase
Cricket Web XI vs Sri Lanka
at the Oval

Ian "Fatty" Markus played the innings of his career, registering a magnificent unbeaten hundred in guiding the Cricket Web XI into the Champions Trophy final. A batsman who has made a name for himself with powerful hitting, Markus was patient and solid in providing the centrepiece of the chase. His 108 not out lasted 142 balls, though it contained 12 fours.

Around him, Brendon Goff and especially Chris Butler injected urgency into the chase, allowing for beautiful pacing toward a 6-wicket win. Both batsmen scored half-centuries, and though they perished to Vaas (2/30), victory was easily forthcoming in the end.

Brendon Goff won the toss, and on the advice of Neil Pickup he elected to bowl first. The decision looked questionable early on, and an opening partnership of 53 looked to be threatening. Kearsley was the man to break through, running out Sangakkara for 29. Upul Tharanga continued on comfortably, however, adding 121 with captain Atapattu and Sri Lanka surged into control.

It was then that Nathan Hoy continued his peculiar bowling form, returning from an expensive first spell to claim 4 crucial wickets and set Sri Lanka back to 226/6. It seemed that Sri Lanka might fail to reach 250 with just 5 overs left in the innings. Chaminda Vaas had other ideas, and smashed 33 off just 17 balls to lift the score to 269/7 at the end of the 50th over.

The total looked a competitive one, but when Zoysa failed to provide a quality first change option and the Webheads took to the in-form Muralitharan, the thrilling chase ended a comfortable Cricket Web victory. Indeed, so easy was the margin at the end that vice-captain Neil Pickup was promoted to hit the winnings runs, scoring his 100th ODI run in the process.

Conditions: Overcast; good batting pitch
Toss: Cricket Web XI

Sri Lanka 269/7 (50 overs)
Cricket Web XI 270/4 (48.3 overs)

Cricket Web XI won by 6 wickets.
Cricket Web XI advance to the final of the Champions Trophy.

Man of the Match: I Markus

Attachments

Last edited:

Slats4ever

woo hoo!!! the feeling of helping secure a finals birth in a match like that is indescribable. We were able to somewhat contain the Lankans thanks to some fiery bowling from Hoy, and some tight stuff from Pickup especially. 269 against their bowling line up we thought would be easy if we could see Murali off. Fortunately that wasn't a problem for us.
It was once again great sharing some great partnerships and helping to anchor the innings. Somewhat different to my usual role. But all I can say is bring on the final.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Uniform row simmers

The CWBCC has announced that it will investigate the nature of Australia's conversion to its latest ODI kit, as pertaining to the designs orignally used by the Cricket Web XI on its last tour down under.

There are rumours that, in addition to potential legal action against Cricket Australia, the CWBCC will be presenting a new design for the One Day International kit before the Season X World Cup.

A source states that Niall Perkup has been commissioned for the design.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Back to the start - Cricket Web XI vs South Africa
Berry True previews the Champions Trophy final.

We are due a clash of the titans as far as the Season IX Champions Trophy goes, with the two most impressive teams of the tournament rightfully meeting in the final. Although it is the second time the teams lock horns in this year's Trophy challenge, it will be an entirely new ball game.

The Cricket Web XI emerged victorious in the earlier meeting, as the Webheads played for survival in a group which South Africa ultimately topped. The win came by a margin of 26, and served prelude to wins over Australia and Sri Lanka (by 6 wickets on each occasion) en route to the final. South Africa had also earlier defeated the Australians by a closer margin of 3 wickets, then snuck by India with 4 runs breathing room on the way to the Trophy playoff.

It is a battle of captaincy, as two of fiercest One Day International records face off against each other. Graeme Smith has proven a strong and charismatic leader with a penchant for quick runs, and already has a healthy team-high aggregate of 330 (55.00 average) in the Champions Trophy. His opposite number is a man who has stood atop the ODI Player rankings for the large part of his career. Brendon Goff may have 2 runs less than Smith in the tournament, but the fact that he outscored him 85 to 3 when the two teams met is a blow at his side.

Each team boasts a healthy share of allround talent, and whilst Jacques Kallis may be a better batsman than either of Liam Camps and Marc Robbins, both are outstanding all the same. Camps' bowling is a huge asset when on song, whilst the reliability and pressure play granted by Robbins down the order is invaluable. In fact, Robbins has been dismissed just once in the tournament, averaging 127 at a strike rate of 101.

It is a battle of seam. South Africa will pose as good a trio of seam bowlers as any in the world when Shaun Pollock, Makhaya Ntini and Andre Nel share the ball. The three have combined for 37 wickets in 6 games, and given the more than handy support of Andrew Hall (7 @ 27.57) and Nicky Boje (5 @ 30.80), the bowling attack is a genuine threat. Lining up for Cricket Web is a less experienced, if not greatly talented pace lot.

Nathan Hoy's 15 wickets are second only to Sri Lanka's Muralitharan (20), and adds fire to a new ball partnership of 25 with Dave Watt. Kyle Wright (3 wickets @ 89.33) may be seen as the weak link in the attack, but celebrated legspinner Neil Pickup has helped pick up the slack. The <I>Ginger Ninja</I>, as he is affectionately called has 11 wickets at 21.45 in the tournament, representing a return to his finest ODI form. It is worth noting, however, that Pickup has been wicketless since dismissing Jacques Kallis earlier in the second round. He has since conceded 100 runs in 20 overs.

South Africa features great batting depth, with the likes of Pollock, Boje and Justin Kemp adding potency down the lineup. However, though Mark Boucher out-averages Ash Chaulk 52 to 10.67, the South Africans have not yet expressed this advantage. The lower is yet to fire, which may serve as ominous warning for the final, especially with regards to Kemp.

What can we expect from the Champions Trophy final? In short, great cricket. These two teams have shown us that attractive cricket can be matched with success on their paths to this point. They have felled giants and surpassed contemporaries and now it is time to take things back to where it all began.

The Cricket Web XI debuted on the One Day International circuit against South Africa in Season I. The Proteas drew first blood then, but ever since the rivalry has intensified, albeit only featuring 5 meetings. Cricket Web leads 3-2 heading into the sixth and the battle rages on.

Player to watch (South Africa):
Jacques Kallis
One of the superstars of the sport, the Champions Trophy has not been much fun for Jacques Kallis. He is yet to cross 40 and has not made a significant impact in any of South Africa's 5 victories. Rather more predictably, Kallis' bowling has been ineffective, with 1 wicket in 23 overs. Heading into the final, Cricket Web will be wary of the threat that is Jacques Kallis and the eternally true statement - form is temporary, but class is permanent.

Players to watch (Cricket Web XI):
Nathan Hoy and Ian Markus
Nathan Hoy has fared peculiarly in the series so far. His knack of struggling early on and returning with devastating effect helped script a win against Sri Lanka and kept Cricket Web in contention against Pakistan, the lone defeat. If he can stay composed from the start of the innings, Hoy is a genuine threat.

Quietly but surely Ian Markus has climbed to the post of leading tournament runscorer for Cricket Web. The fact may amaze many because Markus has been one of the lower profile members of the team for some time now. His is a rising star, forming a superb partnership with Camps at the top of the Cricket Web lineup and most recently scoring an unbeaten matchwinning hundred in the semifinal, against Sri Lanka. Markus' recent international form has been sensational, as indicated by an average of 59.25 over his last 9 ODI innings.

Potential lineups:
South Africa GC Smith (C), AJ Hall, JH Kallis, HH Gibbs, AG Prince, MW Boucher (wk), JM Kemp, SM Pollock, N Boje, M Ntini, A Nel.
Cricket Web XI I Markus, LA Camps, BJ Goff (C), CR Butler, DA Kearsley, MJ Robbins, AP Chaulk (wk), CP Thompson/TC Halsey (uncapped), NS Hoy, DJ Watt, NS Pickup.

Last edited:

kears_falcon_9

Well done boys! Great to go into the final with everyone chippin in. Including Pickup :)

Great innings by 'fatty' and Goffy and Buts well done boys.

Liam you got a day set for the Final?