• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* CW XI in Australia (The VB Series)

Mr Mxyzptlk

All Or Nothing For CW XI

The Webheads took to the field with nothing to lose and everything to gain, requiring to take full points against Pakistan that they qualify for the VB Series finals.

They were inserted to bat first and the batsmen did admirably in scoring 329/4. This left the target of defence at 264. With that in mind and will to win, Dave Watt run in to bowl in front of his home crowd...

Attachments

FaaipDeOiad

Unfortunate way to go out of the tournament, winning a game and going so close only to miss out on a bonus point...

Still, there was certainly a big form turnaround since the early part of the series.

roseboy64

Cricket Web Content Updater
Yeah.Sorry but i had about four lbw appeals turned down, in fact no one for us got an appeal granted.About 10 of them.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Agonising stuff, guys.
Great, great effort - sadly we just had a fraction too much to do.
I've never, ever been a fan of the bonus-point system, I hate it with a passion, it's totally unfair for us to be knocked-out when our NRR is so enormously superior. I will be doing all I can to try and get the authorities to see sense - naturally I'm not hopeful though.
Still, it took real character to come back from such a poor start, and I'm very proud of all of you.
With some people writing-off the team as past it midway though the tournament we've shown quite clearly that there's still plenty in the locker.
I don't blame anyone for the defeat - you can always look at any part of any game and say you should have done better. If we'd edged 2 more boundaries the outcome would have been different.
A top effort, guys - but sadly we're out. I hope - and I'm sure - everyone is as disappointed as I am.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Gutted, really bad way to go out of the tournament. Having Pakistan 116/6, we should have finished it off, but somehow Afridi grew a brain from somewhere, every single LBW shout went against us, and the catches didn't stick.

Still, can't really blame anyone - should have turned up for our first four games...

Cloete

ABSOLUTELY GUTTED!!! That was my last ODI!!! Unfortunate fellas.. We did a great job but just couldn't finish them off. But we should have alot of confidence in ourselves after the way we performed in the last few ODI's.

On a personal note... I'm actually quite disappointed not to bat. The other guys did a great job. But after my 75* at 5(I think?) I thoguht I would have kept my spot. Particularly in my last ever ODI, so I"m a little disheartened by that :(

And so ends my ODI career! I'm delighted with the performance shown by everyone over the years and I hope it continues. We really proved what the CWXI can do in those last few games. Was hoping for a century somewhere in this series, but it wasn't to be. But my last ever innings will be 75*, so that's not too dissapointing :)

Mister Wright

Unlucky guys. There was a little too much to do, too late.

We all welcome you back to the dev leagues, at least for a while.

Blewy

Well a sad way to end the tournament on a few notes...

We fought so hard after a tough start to fall only 4 runs short...
A great victory however and this shows we have the team that is capable of doing over any side...

Cloete, Congrats on a great OD career, its been a pleasure to be part of it, thanx for being a good VC early on and i hope you have good times in your Dev League career and continue your form in the Test arena...

To the boys, we will take alot out of this, we will now look forward. This tournament will be a big learning block for us... We have learnt how to win when we are down...

Heads up and look forward now....

cbuts

Richard said:
Agonising stuff, guys.
Great, great effort - sadly we just had a fraction too much to do.
I've never, ever been a fan of the bonus-point system, I hate it with a passion, it's totally unfair for us to be knocked-out when our NRR is so enormously superior. I will be doing all I can to try and get the authorities to see sense - naturally I'm not hopeful though.
Still, it took real character to come back from such a poor start, and I'm very proud of all of you.
With some people writing-off the team as past it midway though the tournament we've shown quite clearly that there's still plenty in the locker.
I don't blame anyone for the defeat - you can always look at any part of any game and say you should have done better. If we'd edged 2 more boundaries the outcome would have been different.
A top effort, guys - but sadly we're out. I hope - and I'm sure - everyone is as disappointed as I am.
aggonising to loose out on it but i think its fair. it works both ways, remeber our agonising loss to pakistan earlier, by 1 run. we got 1 point there. it would seem very harsh to get so close ad get nothing. as niel said we blew it by screwing up the start of the tournament.

cloete fantastic career mate. been a priviliage to bat with ya in the last few games and to ahve some great partnerships. looking forward to challeging ya in dev league.

cbuts

so liam, whats next. dev league obviously, but who is the next cwxi series aganst, and when is it likly to start?

Mr Mxyzptlk

Cloete said:
On a personal note... I'm actually quite disappointed not to bat. The other guys did a great job. But after my 75* at 5(I think?) I thoguht I would have kept my spot. Particularly in my last ever ODI, so I"m a little disheartened by that :(
Think of it this way. It was a positive move, as everyone was clearly confident that it wouldn't be your last ODI. Still unfortunate though.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Code:
[B][SIZE=5]VB Series Standings[/SIZE][/B]						
	Played	Won	Lost	BP	Points	NRR
Australia	6	5	1	4	29	1.27
Pakistan	6	2	4	3	13	-1.07
Cricket Web XI	6	2	4	2	12	-0.21

Mr Mxyzptlk

Injury Report

Yasir Hameed is out for the series with a groin strain.

Chris Broadbent is out for 19 games with a damaged achilles tendon.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Ian Markus Suspended

Ian Markus will miss his next 2 internationals, under CWBCC disciplinary action for inapprorpriate language whilst referring to coach Richard Dickinson in an interview. The punishment may be regarded by some as not strict enough, but the CWBCC has not been contacted for comment as to this suggestion.

Slats4ever

i hope we're back in town for some dev action...

happy to swallow my ban, and glad that i spoke out at the same time, and i have no regrets.

Just a quick question... this might belong in the stats part but what's the highest ever OD opening partnership by CW?