• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* CW XI Media Coverage

HeathDavisSpeed

Davis on Comeback Trail?

Following the recent torching of his cardboard box by dastardly Red all-rounder, Zac Ritchie for reasons thought to be linked with the pairs' time at the Fardingham Cockatoos, much maligned fast bowler Heath Davis is thought to be reconsidering his retirement.

"Look, it was okay trundling through Dev League batsmen with no legs, but now my home's been torched I've gotta rethink things a little. My time at Pickford has been less entertaining of late, due to our batting line up's failings - and not my own, I hasten to add and maybe the time has come to restore the damaged links with the Dev League."

It is unclear at this stage whether Davis will be needed at his former home at the CW Blacks.

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
The Campsfield Times

A Matter of Respect: An interview with "the devil"
By Gringo El Spatcho

The CWLand squad for the Chairman's Trophy final was announced today. For the most part, it was what was expected. Pickup would captain, Fuller would move back into the middle order, Gough would take the shiny white new ball. What wasn't expected, however, was one of the biggest kicks in the teeth in recent Dev League history. CW Black captain Dan Smith, who made his CWXI debut in the last match of the group stage, was snubbed, in favor of CW Green opening batsman Nick Scott.

"Yeah look I'm pretty gutted. You'd think after what has happened I'd get more than one innings grace."

Smith has made it known in recent times that his position in 50 over cricket is facing the new ball. While it's true that he's batted as low as 6 for CW Black over the last few seasons, this has been more for team benefit than anything else. And with the ODI incumbents above him, who can blame him.

"Yeah, I've batted in the middle at Black for a while now. Since I've taken on the captaincy we've had some massive openers. In my first season we had the 4 best openers in the competition in Markus, Chaulk, Stedman and Cloete, so of course I was going to bat pretty low.

In any case, I think I showed in Australia that my best position in 50 over cricket is up the top. I don't think there's any questioning that."

Smith was called into the ODI squad expecting to be able to show his talent by replacing injured opener, and CW Black team-mate, James Stedman. Instead he was shown the ultimate disrespect. Forced to bat @ 6, a position he's had no success in, he duly failed to get going.

"Yeah look, I didn't play too well, we all know it. But let's face it, neither did Fuller in his promotion. All the selectors did by playing me so low and promoting Fuller was create unnecessary unrest in the camp."

What do you think of the decision to not only drop you, but allow Scott to open the batting? Do you think it's a fair decision?

"**** no I don't, it's a ridiculously unfair decision as far as I'm concerned. I'm sure most of Dev League would agree with me as well. I was given one game, out of position and under immense pressure before being scrapped. Then they have the nerve to allow Scott to open, whilst snubbing me for the same position. I'm absolutely livid.

Scott's a good cricketer and I have nothing against the guy, but I'm sure even he would acknowledge how unfair this call is on me. It's not like I've not performed there for CW 'A' either. If I remember correctly, I made 99 opening the batting for CW 'A' a few weeks ago.

It's a dog act, no question, and from my point of view, the selectors can shove their side up their ass. I don't care if this rant costs me a test position, because everyone knows it's a joke of a decision. I suppose them snubbing me for the rest of my career would just show the cliquey nature and personal biases of the panel"

Well he's certainly taking it well. I actively encourage you, the reader, to write in your thoughts on the matter. It's certainly one of the bigger calls in CWBCC recent history and will be the talk of the town for weeks to come.

Last edited:

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
The solution is clearly to disband the Cricket Web XI and just let Black run their own domestic competition. All others should play grade or handball.

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
**** up ****, yeah that's exactly what I asked for.

Sick of this bull****, "Black blah blah ****ing blah". My gripe has nothing to do with the club I play for.

Goughy

The solution is clearly to disband the Cricket Web XI and just let Black run their own domestic competition. All others should play grade or handball.
Are you suggesting that the exclusion of Smith is partly due to which club he plays for and the number of other Blacks already in the team? Interesting

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
And as a slightly serious response, Smith has opened about four times in the past two seasons. This clearly shows he's ready for facing Lee and Bracken with the white ball.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
An even more serious response:

who'd you pick, the opening batsman averaging 43 this season and 45 in his career or the opening batsman averaging 34 this season and 41 in his career?