• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** England in India

Daemon

Nah haha. If they were offering odds on Dernbach going >6rpo I'd be all over it though.

Interesting to note his career rate has actually come down a tiny bit after this game.

Pothas

Missed all of this, which is a good thing because I don't want to recognise the fact that Dernbach actually played.

Scaly piscine

Don't know why people make such a big deal out of Finn kicking the stumps when he happens to take a wicket of it. He'll have been hit for plenty of runs off them too. It's not like he's taking a wicket off a no-ball when the no-ball means it will always have a negative impact. The dead ball thing is just a normal delivery being wiped out, sometimes it'll be runs, occasionally it will be a wicket.

Apart from the psychological impact and physical impact of having to bowl another delivery (or getting a sore knee) then it's not really important. It's just an irritant to those watching.

The incentive to eliminate it from his game is pretty small. A no-ball problem would be so much more important to eradicate.

Last edited:

Crazy Sam

I love seeing Steve Davis enforce it. He must be one of the only remaining umpires from the 90s Darrell Hair/Steve Randall era where the Aussie umpires would enforce all sorts of technicalities.

Viscount Tom

Except he's just calling it a dead ball there's no rule in cricket that says its a no-ball if someone knocks the bails off when bowling at the non-strikers end.

There's one for distraction but Raina clearly wasn't distracted then.Nor was Smith in the summer.

theegyptian

Bell's series indicative of his whole career. 121 runs @ 30.25 @ sr 71.17 with a high score of 85. Even the good innings he played was slower than Cook and got out when he needed to accelerate and score a big ton. Just a poor ODI player who is too old to ever improve much from this point on and doesn't offer enough to the team.

Morgan I think will be very happy to not go back to Asia for a bit. woops, i forgot the IPL

Contra

I love how people judge Raina by his test performance in the ODI format. 4k runs @ 36 Striking @ 90+ while batting 5 and below... most teams would kill for a player like that.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Raina and Sharma scored runs. I'm personally offended by the standard of England's bowling.
Raina is a bloody good ODI batsman.

Happened to play a big part in a World Cup too. One of the unsung heroes - his knocks in the quarter final vs. Australia (partnership with Yuvi) and semi final vs. Pakistan (got runs at the death) were vital.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Raina is a bloody good ODI batsman.

Happened to play a big part in a World Cup too. One of the unsung heroes - his knocks in the quarter final vs. Australia (partnership with Yuvi) and semi final vs. Pakistan (got runs at the death) were vital.
He's a ****ing pain in the arse ODI batsman.

Doesn't matter how cheaply England get the first 4 wickets, him and Dhoni always seem to be good for adding at least 100 runs before one of them gets out.

SJS

Missed the entire match since I was driving the whole day to Mangalore with a couple of friends. Followed the match on cri info and delighted to see you g Rohit get a good score under his belt. If this youngster starts doing justice to his special talents it will be very good news for India.

Reaching our hotel was surprised to see the news channel completely giving Rohit's innings the miss and going on and on raving about Raina's knock. Towards the end he mentioned that for on e Rohit Sharma did not fail o ce again. Of course Raina played a superb knock but the attitude towards Rohit is typical of Indian media.

They raved and ranted about his 'incredible' talent and went to town with the hype before the youngster had even settled down at the highest level and once out of Cavour they have been bad nothing him for so long that it is impossible for the same anchors to say a kind word about him after asking a guest just hours ago , " who does this Rohit owe his continuous selection in the team to. Who is his godfather"

This lack of balance in the coverage of cricket is typical of the sub continent and then gets reflected in the lay fan's opinion. But the worse thing it does is to an impressionable youngster who needs to be handles carefully at either end of the spectrum.

This is not to suggest that journalists etc are not entitled to write about and comment on good, bad or indifferent performances but that a balance is what is needed rather than this yo-yo like swinging from one extreme to the other.

Of course, balanced comments require a rudimentary k owl edge if the game which, sad to say, is such an uncommon commodity even amongst those who make a living out if writing and speaking about the game. Thus hype and dramatization is today a standard of punditry

ankitj

I love how people judge Raina by his test performance in the ODI format. 4k runs @ 36 Striking @ 90+ while batting 5 and below... most teams would kill for a player like that.
I have never quite understood if playing lower down the order is supposed to help your average or reduce it? :) I mean here you are implying that 36 at that position is worth more while for someone like Dhoni, 50+ average is explained away as a result of not outs he gets while batting down the order.

shankar

Despite being dead against Rohit's inclusion at the start of the match, have to say that the selectors were right in sticking with him. Not because he scored runs, anybody can do that given enough chances, but the way he made them. It is a big gamble to give him yet more chances, but one that has to be taken because the possible payoff is huge.

Contra

I have never quite understood if playing lower down the order is supposed to help your average or reduce it? :) I mean here you are implying that 36 at that position is worth more while for someone like Dhoni, 50+ average is explained away as a result of not outs he gets while batting down the order.
Um for a start I never criticized Dhoni for having a lot of not outs, and quite frankly Dhoni is an exception rather than the norm, Dhoni and Hussey aside name me one player who in recent times has batted @ 6/7 averaging 40+ with a good strike rate and has played at least 50 odd games?

Lets also not forget that Dhoni got the opportunity to bat up the order early in his career where he made big scores, Raina hasn't had that opportunity.

Just take a look at Mathews for SL, he bats low down and even he's only averaging mid 30's, Eoin Morgan is another good finisher, but his stats are buffed up by playing against associate teams when he was with Ireland.

Give Raina a chance to bat at 3 and 4 and he can be as good as any in limited overs cricket.

Raina since his comeback in 2008. Striking @ 95+ with an average touching almost 40.

Last edited:

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I am enjoying the fact that the world has picked up on Jade's ODI stats since I brought that Wikipedia article up to date. England expects that every man shall do his duty and all that...
I was half-watching the telly as I was getting ready for work yesterday and I heard Beefy trot out your stat twice.

If Both is on the program it can't be long until the selectors bow to the inevitable, can it?

ankitj

Um for a start I never criticized Dhoni for having a lot of not outs, and quite frankly Dhoni is an exception rather than the norm, Dhoni and Hussey aside name me one player who in recent times has batted @ 6/7 averaging 40+ with a good strike rate and has played at least 50 odd games?

Lets also not forget that Dhoni got the opportunity to bat up the order early in his career where he made big scores, Raina hasn't had that opportunity.

Just take a look at Mathews for SL, he bats low down and even he's only averaging mid 30's, Eoin Morgan is another good finisher, but his stats are buffed up by playing against associate teams when he was with Ireland.

Give Raina a chance to bat at 3 and 4 and he can be as good as any in limited overs cricket.

Raina since his comeback in 2008. Striking @ 95+ with an average touching almost 40.
My post wasn't about you in particular. An observation that both kind of arguments get made (something I had alluded to when someone was trying hard to discount Dhoni's average), you just happened to be provide support to my argument :p You may have been consistent, I don't question that :)

I agree Raina is good in limited overs cricket, especially in sub-continent conditions

Last edited: