• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** England in India

grecian

Hmm, so Bell has thrown a spanner in the works, if we keep him as opener what happens with KP and Trott. I'd still rather KP opened, but don't see it happening now.

Howe_zat

Nah, open with your best aggressive batsman and that's KP for me. Bell has done well today but beforehand he'd had a poor series - we know he's a capable but not all that impressive ODI bat, no more, no less. If there isn't room in the top order for him then so be it.

Between him and Root for the no.4 berth right now, afaic. No doubt both will get a few chances in the upcoming unimportant ODIs, including in the top three so there's no real need to draw conclusions now, especially not when this series in particular has less meaning than most given where it is.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
There's no way Flower will drop Bell back down the order. And one series isn't enough for Root to replace our best ODI player.

That being said, I still think Bell is better off trying to smash it at the top of the order, particularly in England.

flibbertyjibber

Bell to 4000 ODI runs then. Harsh to drop Root after such a promising start but the new guy is always the easiest one to drop even if the decision is wrong.

stumpski

Didn't really notice him, which suggests he did OK. Is he a long-term bet as England's ODI keeper though? He doesn't do it for Somerset very often. If Kieswetter is out of the frame, and they're not going back to Prior, perhaps the England management should ask Somerset to give Buttler a few games behind the sticks, even if Kieswetter is also playing.

grecian

1. Cook
2. Bell
3. Trott
4. KP
5. Morgan
6. Buttler

Simple.
Well it's not that simple, as KPs record at 4 recently is shocking, and I would still like his aggression in the top 2. Bell is hideous down the order too. No-one really bowls in that line-up either.

I'd still keep Root in and ditch Bell for Kp as opener.

Having said that well done Ian, much rather have these problems, rather than WhoTF do we pick, they're all ****e.

Last edited:

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Who would you advocate dropping instead of Root? Look, I was far from happy when Bell was recalled to the side, but there's noway you can drop him now. He's been our best ODI batsman since his recall.

Last edited:

stumpski

Bell to 4000 ODI runs then. Harsh to drop Root after such a promising start but the new guy is always the easiest one to drop even if the decision is wrong.
Happy for Root to concentrate on Tests for the time being, tbh. He has plenty of time, could come back in for Trott in a year or two.

flibbertyjibber

I'd be loath to play Cook, Bell and Trott in the same top 4 so seeing as Bell has tonned up here and Cook is skipper i'd continue to leave Trott out for now and let Root continue his development. Just my opinion, doubt anyone else will agree.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
This has slowly become a fine innings from Bell. He's scored at a run a ball since I had a go at him on 40 off 76.
And so he should after getting so set. That was the thing though; 40* off 76 is a perfectly fine start for an opener chasing a low total as long as he makes use of that platform to accelerate and make a big score. The problem with Bell doing that of course is his propensity to throw it around between 40 and 70, so I could see the merit in the criticism, but the start was always going to be fine if he didn't then get out.

Howe_zat

And so he should after getting so set. That was the thing though; 40* off 76 is a perfectly fine start for an opener chasing a low total as long as he makes use of that platform to accelerate and make a big score. The problem with Bell doing that of course is his propensity to throw it around between 40 and 70, so I could see the merit in the criticism, but the start was always going to be fine if he didn't then get out.
Yeah that was my point

stumpski

Runs coming at a torrent now. 2-3, you'd take that for a side missing so many key players. Going to be quite tough on guys like Tredwell to have to step aside.