• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* English Football Season 2013-14

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Outside of Suarez there's no-one else that's really a realistic target unless Lewandowski changes his mind about wanting to go to Bayern.

Scaly piscine

The CDMs have been so wimpy in the transfer market they need to gamble on guys like Suarez to bridge the cap between also-ran and contender. Then they can attract the sorts of names they've been associated with.

A few years ago they could have attracted some big names, Whingeur just didn't want to spend the money, and they became a feeder club. You need silverware or money to attract the top mercenaries. The CDMs are only going to get the quality if they get a youngster and develop them or they take someone with considerable baggage.

King Pietersen

Wouldn't surprise me if Arsenal ended up not making a big signing this summer. They've missed out on Higuain, he's gone to Napoli, and Suarez saying he wants out will likely interest Real Madrid, and who in their right mind would choose a move to Arsenal, over a move to Madrid? It's alright though Arsenal fans. You've still got Giroud and Sanogo to bang the goals in for you.....

Ikki

Suarez would instantly make Arsenal a contender (on all fronts IMO) but I'd be pissed off if he went to another premier league club, and I'm sure most fans would too. It would be far more palatable if he went to Real Madrid. I think now that they've sold Higuain for so much money then it's just a matter of time they meet our evaluation.

Uppercut

Him going to Arsenal still seems unlikely to me. It's unclear whether he wants to go there, Liverpool will be desperate for him to go anywhere else and Arsenal are notoriously stingy. It could happen but there's a lot of hoops to jump through.

It doesn't overly look like Madrid are all that interested either. I think he might even end up staying put. He's on a long contract so there's not too much pressure on Liverpool to sell.

Uppercut

FTR if they have to I think they should definitely go above £50m for him. They certainly won't get anyone better for cheaper.

Marcuss

Scaly on Arsenal - zzzzzz.

Pablo Osvaldo is the backup plan apparently. I reckon we'll get Suarez though, Madrid seem to want Bale or nothing.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
I have to admit all this Suarez talk has caught me slightly off guard. Thought the original bid was little more than a muscle flex, but if they're serious then I'm quite excited. I'd definitely take him in a heart beat, but I still think it's very unlikely. Suarez can do better, and he knows that, and it's massive if Wenger has to more than triple his biggest ever purchase to get him, would be such an obvious change in approach and almost seem a bit panicky. Hope I'm wrong though, would be hilarious as well as brilliant.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
I have to admit all this Suarez talk has caught me slightly off guard. Thought the original bid was little more than a muscle flex, but if they're serious then I'm quite excited. I'd definitely take him in a heart beat, but I still think it's very unlikely. Suarez can do better, and he knows that, and it's massive if Wenger has to more than triple his biggest ever purchase to get him, would be such an obvious change in approach and almost seem a bit panicky. Hope I'm wrong though, would be hilarious as well as brilliant.
Can Suarez really do better though?

If he wants to play Champions League football then who other than Arsenal can he realistically move to?

Particularly given virtually every side with money to spend has already signed a striker this summer.

Uppercut

I think quite a few clubs probably should be in for him. Chelsea inexplicably seem to want Rooney instead. Whichever of Bayern and Dortmund doesn't finish the transfer window with Lewandowski could do an awful lot worse than signing Suarez. He'd clearly be a big improvement on the strikers currently at Madrid.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
I reckon Lukaku will start the season as Chelsea's first choice now Mourinho seems to realise how good he is. Fits perfectly into a Mourinho side.

Real don't need strikers when you consider Ronaldo's goal tally and they seem to be firing all their eggs into the basket labelled 'Gareth Bale.' Ancelotti's reportedly keen on getting Jese more game time this season as well.

Bayern seem content to wait a year to get Lewandowski and I don't think Dortmund are quite at the level where they can afford Suarez.

Which really leaves Arsenal.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
I doubt he will, in spite of all the talks about him staying, the money will be too much for Levy to ignore.

Uppercut

Bayern seem content to wait a year to get Lewandowski and I don't think Dortmund are quite at the level where they can afford Suarez.
They must surely be, their transfer profits have been insane. Perhaps wages are an issue but I don't think that's why they're not trying to sign him.

Pothas

Real are the ones that I would have thought should be in for him. I mean Suarez is a good deal better than Benzema. Apparently Ronaldo played upfront in a friendly the other day but you can't really see that being a regular thing.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
They must surely be, their transfer profits have been insane. Perhaps wages are an issue but I don't think that's why they're not trying to sign him.
Most of their profits have been reinvested though. The money they got for Kagawa was spent on Reus, they've reinvested the Götze money on Aubameyang and Mkhitaryan. Klopp will have money to spend but not the €50m plus wages needed for a Suarez. After almost going bankrupt they'll be careful with their cash until their revenue more closely matches Bayern's - IIRC there's about €100m of a gap in Bayern's favour.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Yeah, that's what I'd have thought. Especially if they sell Lewandowsi, then they'll have massive income from his and Gotze's departure. Obviously if he stays put, then it's a different matter entirely.

My point about Suarez was simply that he's probably in the top five strikers in the world, so you'd expect him to be wanting to play for sides that can win leagues and get to Champions League finals, which isn't a level Arsenal are quite at yet.