• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* English Football Season 2014-15

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
Not too unhappy with this morning. City really were all class, and deserved the win. Won't get any harder than City at City. :)

WHL next round though :|

social

Cant believe that some MU supporters are still criticizing the Glazers as they are really splashing the cash

200 mill is a ****-load of investment and it wont be their fault if the team doesn't perform

Uppercut

It's a tiny fraction of the money the club has paid in debt interest as a result of their takeover though?

Last edited:

duffer

A bit left field but what the hey; who do United fans consider a bigger rival, Leeds or City? Historically a few people I know say it has to be Leeds.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Probably depends which era you grew up in tbh. My Dad isn't a Utd fan, but having grown up in Yorkshire he oft tells me how the rivalry between Leeds and Utd "back int'day" was absolutely ferocious (this is usually accompanied by him going off on one about how Don Revie was a ****). I doubt you'd find many Utd fans born after the mid 80s who'd pick Leeds over City though.

Uppercut

Hard to say but I get the impression that Citeh have always been bigger rivals. We're aware that Leeds are worse, among the biggest ****s going, but that's not specific to United.

cpr

Growing up it was definitely Leeds. City were a bit of a joke club who fluctuated wildly after the mid 70's (not that we were much better....). Leeds were the team of that period, and the rivalry embedded then - in fairness everyone hated Leeds then, but still..

80s the answer would've been Liverpool, but by the time I'd started taking an interest in football it was the transition from the Liverpool era, and us, Arsenal and Leeds jumped to the fore - The 91/92 season brought back that old rivalry and cemented it in my generations mind.

I remember the 92/93 victory parade, and just before the Utd bus came down, a minibus of Leeds fans came down Chester Road, giving abuse left right and centre - saw fathers taking their young kids of their shoulders so they could try and get a run at the bus!

Through our arrogance we allowed the city rivalry to slide more than the others, it mattered for those two games a season, but they were never a threat - now because of this i feel our city rivalry is more of a petulant thing from our side.

Tangles

It's a tiny fraction of the money the club has paid in debt interest as a result of their takeover though?
The Glazers are ****s who stole the club to line their own pockets. The interest payments are so large that their plan requires deep CL runs for the income. This is nothing but a calculated business move to throw money at CL qualification. They can manage missing a year but multiple would cause massive issues with sponsors etc.

I don't even think its a good solution to our on field issues. Kroos, Vidal, Schweinstiger or a proper DM would have been a far better use if the money. Makes me mad that Alex didn't get this sort of support because he was good enough to get by and McGyver a championship but Moyes and LVG get to go wild.

I wish the player all the best but this makes no sense with our current squad.

cpr

From what I understand Ferguson did have these resources, but chose not to use them. He spent £60m his final season, 25m of that on RVP, who was no spring chicken, then £10m+ on Zaha - an expensive shot on a largely untested youth. The year before he spent £50m on Jones, Young and De Gea. Ferguson was never really one for going all out on a big name signing - though he could do if he wanted to, such as £31m on Berbatov, but the outlay he did spend suggests he had enough money to buy what he wanted.

Ferguson himself was always very vocal that he had the resource to use if he saw fit. However Ferguson had too much confidence in the like of Cleveley, Evans, Fletcher, Smalling etc to become good enough for Utd - Moyes and Van Gaal are spending to rectify those sort of presumptions (shame they haven't corrected those exact presumptions yet.....)

Whilst I wont be happy if this is our last deal - we need the back strengthening for sure. However I love this signing, gives us that extra something behind he strikers - weve been too lifeless an flat their for a few years, and no-one, bar Mata, gives me the confidence we can unlock a subborn, deep defence (which is most teams default setting against us)

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Anyone catch LVG's pre game interview? I only got a glimpse but he was going on about how he knew that the competition had extra time and penalties. Bizarre

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
The Glazers are ****s who stole the club to line their own pockets. The interest payments are so large that their plan requires deep CL runs for the income. This is nothing but a calculated business move to throw money at CL qualification. They can manage missing a year but multiple would cause massive issues with sponsors etc.
Well, that's the sort of thing that can happen with a plc. Didn't exactly hurt you in the 1990s.

Tom Halsey

Regarding rivals. Historically Leeds is the bigger rivalry. I am fairly young but I've still spent the majority of my life detesting Leeds and laughing at City, whereas now it's just detesting both, sort of.

I sort of think that, ignoring Liverpool, who will always be the most detested whatever happens, the rest depends to a pretty large extent on who are the biggest competitive rivals at the time. A new United fan would say City are the bigger rivals, whereas my dad would undoubtedly say Leeds, by a distance. An example of how the rivalries can change is Arsenal. 10 years ago they were as hated as anyone bar Liverpool, now United fans don't really have any bad feelings towards them at all. When they were putting in their big title challenge in January last year (:p) they were the clear preferred choice to win it amongst United fans.

Regarding the Glazers, they probably get a worse press than they should do, but clearly it's about more than them having actually spent quite a lot of money. It's far too simplistic a way of looking at things. It is hard to argue against the theory that if they hadn't bought the club that both the club and the fans' wallets would be in a better condition than they are right now.

Last edited:

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Yeah rivalries will always be varied by time and generation

My kid brother hates Oldham more than he hates B***on. I hate Wrexham, we all do, but those ten years older hate Chester more

When I first got into footy my dad, a red, hated Arsenal but loved them in the late 90s when they were the only threat to United

Tom Halsey

Well, that's the sort of thing that can happen with a plc. Didn't exactly hurt you in the 1990s.
It didn't help us much either. We only lead the English spending charts for one year in the 90s, yet for some reason everyone seems to think we spent money left, right and centre then. In a world context we were nothing really in terms of transfer spending.

That's not a complaint, ftr, obviously. But saying "well that's what you get" is missing the point. The original point from Social was questioning how United fans can complain about Glazer. Well, the average United fan didn't have much choice about becoming a PLC, and making the point that Glazer hasn't helped us in some respects would be true even if we did have a choice in the matter.

Last edited:

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
It didn't help us much either. We only lead the English spending charts for one year in the 90s, yet for some reason everyone seems to think we spent money left, right and centre then. In a world context we were nothing really in terms of transfer spending.

That's not a complaint, ftr, obviously. But saying "well that's what you get" is missing the point. The original point from Social was questioning how United fans can complain about Glazer. Well, the average United fan didn't have much choice about becoming a PLC, and making the point that Glazer hasn't helped us in some respects would be true even if we did have a choice in the matter.
Wages didn't exist in the '90s, obviously.

And I disagree with the bolded, too. The average United fan complaining about the Glazers became a fan after the club became a PLC, so tacit acceptance.

Mind, iirc you're a libertarian, so we probably have differing views on football economics too.