• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* India in South Africa

kingkallis

Australia : FoxSports

Bangladesh: Ten Cricket

Canada: CBN (ATN)

European Nations : Eurosport (except UK and Some other countries)

India : Ten Cricket

Malayasia : Astro

Nepal : Ten Cricket

Pakistan : Ten Sports

South Africa : SuperSport

Sri Lanka : Ten Cricket

UK : Sky Sport

USA : Willow Cricket ( Dish TV Channel No. 582 )

smalishah84

The Tiger King
WC

Sehwag / Zak / Yuvi / Nehra / Bhajji who were the youngsters in the 03 WC are now the experienced players. So I really want to see how we go this time around.
I thought they were reasonably experienced even in the 07 world cup.

Cruxdude

This is going to be one tough series for India. SA seems to have most bases covered, with their only weakness being lack of quality support for Morkel and Steyn. India can hope to capitalise on that provided our openers do well. They have played a big part in us becoming no 1 an will need to continue on that. I am a bit worried if our bating has used up its quota of good form, hopefully not. Despite all this excited about our chances.

akilana

This is going to be one tough series for India. SA seems to have most bases covered, with their only weakness being lack of quality support for Morkel and Steyn. India can hope to capitalise on that provided our openers do well. They have played a big part in us becoming no 1 an will need to continue on that. I am a bit worried if our bating has used up its quota of good form, hopefully not. Despite all this excited about our chances.
SA have their own problems too.. one half of the opener, no 6, spinner, 3rd seamer. R McLaren is in terrific form in MTN and if he can bring that form into the tests, it would serve SA well.

smalishah84

The Tiger King
SA have their own problems too.. one half of the opener, no 6, spinner, 3rd seamer. R McLaren is in terrific form in MTN and if he can bring that form into the tests, it would serve SA well.
The biggest problem for SA is support bowling. Their 2 opening bowlers are reasonably good but others look mediocre. If India can neutralize Steyn they should fancy their chances of at least a level series.

Woodster

Yes the openers will inevitably play an important part, nullifying the effect of the new ball, and building a solid platform for the powerful Indian middle order. Although repelling Steyn and Morkel in SA conditions is not an easy assignment.

As regards to the lack of quality support for Steyn and Morkel, there is Kallis who gives the side great balance and can be effective at home, then it comes down to Parnell or Tsotsobe, Parnell has the edge for me, but it seems a lack of match fitness after a recent six-month injury lay-off may see Tstotsobe favoured. He doesn't have much cricket under his belt either, only played one SuperSport Series game this season. So both may be a bit rusty, although would be surprised if Ryan McLaren was selected.

Harris is likely to be selected over Botha and be asked to perform the holding role he has become so accustomed to do, the pitch will favour the quicker bowlers so he'll have the unenviable task of keeping Sehwag, Tendulkar, Laxman, Dravid, etc, under wraps.

Blaze 18

Banned
It's frankly absurd. The biggest challenge India face is how they adjust to conditions, so the best way they can prepare for this is by playing a couple of warm-up matches. No amount of nets on bouncy wickets will prepare them for what they will face when Steyn and Morkel come steaming in at the Centurion. With it only being a three-Test series it's vital you hit the ground running, you cannot afford to take too long to become accustomed to the conditions.

Is the BCCI relying on their ability to be able to make the necessary adjustments without due preparation, or is it simply a case of concentrating on getting more ODI cricket in ahead of the World Cup and thus making their priorites clear ?
Woodster, I am no big fan of the BCCI, but the lack of a warm-up match is not their fault alone. The players should have insisted on having a couple of warm-up matches before such an important series. I am actually quite pleased with the BCCI for sending the players early to South Africa (or was that Gary Kirsten's idea ?). They could have easily cited the World Cup as a reason to force the players to play the New Zealand ODIs, but they did not do that.

Turbinator

I guess you won't stick around for too long after the SA series and the WC :)
Should check my track record before making such a big claim lil' guy. Considering you joined in Aug 2010, and I joined in Aug 2006, there's a good 4 years between us that you've missed.

I was a regular here up until recently when India started kicking some ass, and claimed the number 1 spot. According to your theory, shouldn't my posting have surged? I was calling on this golden period in Indian cricket since the moment I joined.

You see this avatar of mine? Lost it in a highly controversial and infamous avatar bet in India's last tour of Australia, which I still feel I was hard done-by with the level of incompetent umpiring. Anyway, that's another story.

I am also the guy who runs down the street with my shirt off each time India scores a win. Whether India score a win or a loss, whether India is number 1 or number last, I will forever remain a true Indian fan. I bleed blue, forever will.

I was there when India lost to Bangladesh in the last WC, scrutinized by each and every CW poster, and I was there when India lost to South Africa last time around. I am no stranger to disappointment my friend, no stranger at all. Yet I believe, I believe.

Last edited:

Woodster

Woodster, I am no big fan of the BCCI, but the lack of a warm-up match is not their fault alone. The players should have insisted on having a couple of warm-up matches before such an important series. I am actually quite pleased with the BCCI for sending the players early to South Africa (or was that Gary Kirsten's idea ?). They could have easily cited the World Cup as a reason to force the players to play the New Zealand ODIs, but they did not do that.
Maybe there is blame in other areas, but ultimately doesn't it fall down to the BCCI to organise fixture schedules, and arrange any tour games etc? I'm sure Kirsten would have loved the chance to have a couple of warm-up matches, don't suppose we'll know how vigorously he and his staff tried to get them.

Sending the players early is an absolute minimum. How early did they arrive in SA ? We're not talking 2-3 weeks here are we? It just seems they try and cut corners with their Test preparation, yet with the one-dayers it's a different story.

Blaze 18

Banned
Should check my track record before making such a big claim lil' guy. Considering you joined in Aug 2010, and I joined in Aug 2006, there's a good 4 years between us that you've missed.

I was a regular here up until recently when India started kicking some ass, and claimed the number 1 spot. According to your theory, shouldn't my posting have surged? I was calling on this golden period in Indian cricket since the moment I joined.

You see this avatar of mine? Lost it in a highly controversial and infamous avatar bet in India's last tour of Australia, which I still feel I was hard done-by with the level of incompetent umpiring. Anyway, that's another story.

I am also the guy who runs down the street with my shirt off each time India scores a win. Whether India score a win or a loss, whether India is number 1 or number last, I will forever remain a true Indian fan. I bleed blue, forever will.

I was there when India lost to Bangladesh in the last WC, scrutinized by each and every CW poster, and I was there when India lost to South Africa last time around. I am no stranger to disappointment my friend, no stranger at all. Yet I believe, I believe.
Great post, Turbinator. No Indian fan is a stranger to disappointment, but that doesn't mean we should stop hoping. The world would be nowhere without hope (umeed pe hee toh dunya qayam hai).

Blaze 18

Banned
Maybe there is blame in other areas, but ultimately doesn't it fall down to the BCCI to organise fixture schedules, and arrange any tour games etc? I'm sure Kirsten would have loved the chance to have a couple of warm-up matches, don't suppose we'll know how vigorously he and his staff tried to get them.
Okay, fair enough.

Sending the players early is an absolute minimum. How early did they arrive in SA ? We're not talking 2-3 weeks here are we? It just seems they try and cut corners with their Test preparation, yet with the one-dayers it's a different story.
You are absolutely right, sending the players early is an absolute minimum but, given how baffling some of BCCI's moves/decisions have been in the past, even such a move is a welcome one.

EDIT : And to be fair, BCCI have gone out of their way to schedule test matches this year (although that may have a lot to do with India being ranked number one).

Last edited:

Contra

WC

Sehwag / Zak / Yuvi / Nehra / Bhajji who were the youngsters in the 03 WC are now the experienced players. So I really want to see how we go this time around.
I thought they were reasonably experienced even in the 07 world cup.
Nah. Sehwag was a shadow of himself back then, Zak was nothing special. Yuvi was alright and Bhajji was also pretty ordinary.

Woodster

You are absolutely right, sending the players early is an absolute minimum but, given how baffling some of BCCI's moves/decisions have been in the past, even such a move is a welcome one.

EDIT : And to be fair, BCCI have gone out of their way to schedule test matches this year (although that may have a lot to do with India being ranked number one).
Yes so I guess it's a step in the right direction. The No.1 Test ranking may have influenced further Tests being arranged, but I'm a real Test cricket fan so I'm not going to complain about the reasons.

The BCCI does continue to baffle.

smalishah84

The Tiger King

lol.....take it easy bro. Was just kidding. I wish you good luck with your predictions.

The last three paragraphs are wonderfully written. Spoken like a true fan.

Checkmate

Are the South Africans playing any FC cricket before this series? There's so much talk about India's lack of preparation but I wouldn't be surprised if SA start out slow considering they just came back from those flat tracks in Dubai and Abu Dhabi.

India 2-1