• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** New Zealand Domestic Season 2018/19

nzfan

What are the chances Conway may end up replacing BJ ahead of Tom Blundell? Conway is leading the run tally in four dayers.

jcas0167

I remember listening to that innings on the radio! For some random reason Henry Blofeld was commentating on a domestic game and he just raved about Aiken - called it the best innings by a young opener he had ever seen. I was always gutted he never kicked on after that.
Classic, Henry Blofeld doing radio commentary on a Plunket Shield game would be amazing.

Mike5181

What are the chances Conway may end up replacing BJ ahead of Tom Blundell? Conway is leading the run tally in four dayers.
When's the last time he did any keeping and is he any good? He'll probably earn a spot on batting alone at some point if he continues like this.

Mike5181

It was a pretty average bowling attack but it's good to see Chapman actually do something in first-class cricket.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
When's the last time he did any keeping and is he any good? He'll probably earn a spot on batting alone at some point if he continues like this.
He kept in a fair few games for Wellington last season, and he was keeping regularly in three day cricket the season before he quit SA too. I don't think he's regarded particularly highly with the gloves but I guess neither was Watling when he decided to start taking it seriously again.

Immenso

On the teenage bating subject again. Has Josh Finnie peak at 19?

In green is his output while a teenager:
Teenage Batting_Finnie.png

The Hutt Rec

Cool that Lance Cairns still holds number one spot by miles. Great ground for it too. Gotta wonder how big the boundaries were back when it was a first class venue though!

Immenso

Looking at the top innings on the list, Lance Cairns.

At the Hutt Rec. I recently read Ewen Chatfield's autobiography. Wellington played at the Hutt Rec for 2 seasons while the Basin Reserve was reconfigured. Apparaently the wicket was very dodgy, and was dubbed Chat's Patch. Chatfield reckoned the reputation of the ground held back his national team re-elevation for a few years.

Here's the innings scorecard. Cairns came in at 42 for 7.
BLCairns.JPG

The Hutt Rec

Hahaha that’s a ridiculous knock in the circumstances!

I knew Wellington played West Indies there or something like that ... it was it Australia? In a warm up game. Weird to think about it now, I guess the big light tower wasn’t smack bang in the middle of the ground back then.

Last edited:

vandem

Hahaha that’s a ridiculous knock in the circumstances!

I knew Wellington played West Indies there or something like that ... it was it Australia? In a warm up game. Weird to think about it now, I guess the big light tower wasn’t smack bang in the middle of the ground back then.
Chats 13 wickets! Was probably a green seamer, with a howling southerly. Wasn't the happiest tour for the Windies.

https://archive.nzc.nz/Scorecards/39/39961.html

Immenso

Here's the scorecard from the Cairns fastest hundred.

https://archive.nzc.nz/Scorecards/39/39879.html

Is even more bizarre when you look at the two first innings together.
A hundred run opening partnership, then collapse. Otago bat and collapse.
17 wickets for 136 runs fell immediately before Cairns came out to bat.
First2INNINGS.png

22 wickets between Boock, Bracewell and Gray. I think it was turning.

Last edited: