• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Religious Discussion Thread

Munificent_Fool

Question answers itself. They need to do away with monarchy and tradition and institute a proper secular constitution which forbids government from having anything to do with religion. Separation of church and state, religion and politics, is about as cogent and sensible an idea as anything evolved and advanced human society.

Faith schools are bull****. Not one dollar of tax payer money should subsidise them.

Agent Nationaux

Question answers itself. They need to do away with monarchy and tradition and institute a proper secular constitution which forbids government from having anything to do with religion. Separation of church and state, religion and politics, is about as cogent and sensible an idea as anything evolved and advanced human society.

Faith schools are bull****. Not one dollar of tax payer money should subsidise them.
Something we agree on.

Munificent_Fool

That's rather disconcerting. Could be portentous of something very sinister. All the birds are falling out of all the trees outside my window. You?

:p

Red Hill

The artist formerly known as Monk
I think I'm agnostic Hurricane. I'm def not an atheist, but I'm unconvinced about much. Maybe an unconvinced believer.

I would argue that God is capricious in the OT, though...

Munificent_Fool

Not sure why really, if the schools are getting enrolments and a large percentage of taxpayers are of that faith...
Let them give their money through enrollment fees or private donations. Why should I as an atheist be paying taxes to subsidise religiously-orientated schools which largely discriminate on the basis of faith? Catholics want to run schools of their own, give the papacy a call and see if they have a few dollars lying around in the Vatican bank. Leave me out of it.

Uppercut

Not sure why really, if the schools are getting enrolments and a large percentage of taxpayers are of that faith...
This isn't an argument, it's just a bland pro-democracy statement. Like saying we should have the death penalty because lots of taxpayers or voters support it. It's sidestepping the debate.

Meridio

Haha. In related news, I am going to Saudi Arabia tomorrow. I will to do my best to not be tempted by any eyes I see.

wellAlbidarned

Was having an interesting discussion with the old man about separation of religion and state. As you may or may not know, NZ is a largely a bicultural society of Maori, the original inhabitants and European immigrants. As a result, we see both Christian and Maori based references are present in various traditions in government. Previously I would've considered myself supportive of removing all religious references from parliamentary processes, but it was pointed out that this would likely involve removal of many Maori traditions too. I can't imagine this being very well received considering how **** Maori culture has been treated in our history.

Last edited:

Hurricane

I think I'm agnostic Hurricane. I'm def not an atheist, but I'm unconvinced about much. Maybe an unconvinced believer.

I would argue that God is capricious in the OT, though...
Oh much props to you then. I thoroughly enjoy talking to agnostics. Yes you are correct God (and I have to watch my words here) can appear to be capricious in the OT. There are many things that on the surface of them are off putting about the old Testament. Jesus himself directly contradicts some passages from the OT.

I much prefer the new testament.

Last edited:

social

Last edited:

zorax

likes this
AFAIK Saudi's problems are cultural not religious.

I have friends who are dedicated muslims who wish to stay far away from that place.

I have a Saudi friend who acts like a good-boy-muslim at home because he is legit scared for being imprisoned or killed for doing anything un-islamic. When is in HK/China he is a badass party animal.

It's a ****ed up country. And religion isn't why.