• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

'Official' Semi Final 2 - Pakistan v India

Who will win this match?

• Total voters

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Go on then, when has it been shown up then. If it's "time and time again" as you assert you'll be able to give us a long list of such events...

angad

According to Samaa TV Pakistan : Waqar/Afridi To Be Axed. Pakistan team will have new captain, vice captain and coach. It has also been learnt that senior players (Misbah, Younus, Razzaq, Kamran) will have no place in the national team.

Cevno

Go on then, when has it been shown up then. If it's "time and time again" as you assert you'll be able to give us a long list of such events...
As if i have been tabulating a list .
Though i pretty much remember that same statement technology better than watching at home being made to me a couple of times before and to others too on a few occasions here.:laugh:

There have been instances this world cup alone,where even the commentators have been surprised.
Maybe i should start a thread about hawkeye screw ups from now on.

Shri

Is it true that hawkeye has not been configured to track the trajectory of doosras? Read that was the case in some site earlier today.

Cevno

According to Samaa TV Pakistan : Waqar/Afridi To Be Axed. Pakistan team will have new captain, vice captain and coach. It has also been learnt that senior players (Misbah, Younus, Razzaq, Kamran) will have no place in the national team.
No need for such a shakeup all of a sudden ,tbh.

Afridi did a god job and don't think Younus and Razzaq should be axed right now.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
wtf, that's stupid. Afridi should be captaining the side until he decides he doesn't want to.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
As if i have been tabulating a list .
Though i pretty much remember that same statement technology better than watching at home being made to me a couple of times before and to others too on a few occasions here.:laugh:
Go on then, name these instances - and no, just because you with the naked eye don't agree does not mean that hawkeye is wrong, so those are not examples.

By being shown up you need proof as to why it is wrong, not "I don't think so therefore it's wrong"

Manee

No way! Waqar has worked wonders with Umar Gul. Gul has never looked more consistent or quick than recently. Riaz has also come along loads with his stint in the side. It is just a shame that Pakistan, at no point, have had Waqar and Wasim working in official roles. Wasim, amongst all the incoherent broken English nonsense, made some points about Riaz which suggests that he could, given the time, improve his bowling to swing the ball back into the right hander. Moreover, I think Afridi has done a very good job as skipper.

Howe_zat

Is it true that hawkeye has not been configured to track the trajectory of doosras? Read that was the case in some site earlier today.
It isn't programmed to track any specific deliveries, it tracks whatever it picks up from the delivery itself.

Cevno

Go on then, name these instances - and no, just because you with the naked eye don't agree does not mean that hawkeye is wrong, so those are not examples.

By being shown up you need proof as to why it is wrong, not "I don't think so therefore it's wrong"
So basically you are saying that we need a 3rd parrallel technology to overrule the hawkeye?

Human comprehension on some situations better than technology which has not been configured to deal with different type of variations and odd events that occur in some cases.

The umpires had hawkeye to show that they were wrong, but hawkeye can only be shown to be wrong on occasions by applying common sense.

For example in a test at bangalore hawkeye has previously shown due to inconsistent bounce reaction a ball bouncing below the knees to be going above the stumps.
I guess you would say prove it ,not based on human judgement alone but does it really need to be?

If all the ball did the same thing after pitching and followed the same trajectory and did nothing abnormal then it would be 100 % accurate ,but lthat is not the case on many occasions.
Law of physics if applied to text may show in football that the ball hitting the crossbar and then bouncing and hitting it again could not have crossed the line ,but there have been cases where it has due to the spin exerted.

Agent Nationaux

Really stupid by the PCB if that news is correct. Afridi has been inspirational and Waqar is a good coach who takes part in the fielding exercises. But i do think that it's time for Razzaq to go and maybe bring in either Hammad Azam or Anwar Ali Khan. We also need a decent batting coach. If Miandad and Waqar can keep their ego in check, then he would be a good addition to the coaching staff.

salman85

Nonsense.

SamaaTV is the equivalent of Channel We-Love-USA in North Korea.Yes,there is no such channel in North Korea and that is how irrelevant Samaa TV is in Pakistan.All these stories are rumors,based on nothing concrete.

Afridi will play on,unless he decides to retire.Whether he steps down as the captain is another issue.I doubt if he will axed,since the overall sentiment in Pakistan is very sympathetic towards the team.People are generally happy with how the team performed in the tournament.Unless Ijaz Butt does something idiotic,which cannot be ruled out obviously,Afridi will stay on.

Misbah will stay on too.For another year or two atleast.Waqar has done well as the coach,and even though he could be axed,i don't see any reason to do so.

Younis Khan and Kamran Akmal are the only two players who deserve the axe IMO.Anything else will be extremely unfair.

The current team is in great shape to be moulded for the 2015 tournament,and there is no reason to make wholesome changes.

Last edited:

Fusion

Global Moderator
As Salman pointed out, that channel's credibility is highly doubtful. I would be shocked if any of the above happened.

zorax

likes this
So basically you are saying that we need a 3rd parrallel technology to overrule the hawkeye?

Human comprehension on some situations better than technology which has not been configured to deal with different type of variations and odd events that occur in some cases.

The umpires had hawkeye to show that they were wrong, but hawkeye can only be shown to be wrong on occasions by applying common sense.

For example in a test at bangalore hawkeye has previously shown due to inconsistent bounce reaction a ball bouncing below the knees to be going above the stumps.
I guess you would say prove it ,not based on human judgement alone but does it really need to be?

If all the ball did the same thing after pitching and followed the same trajectory and did nothing abnormal then it would be 100 % accurate ,but lthat is not the case on many occasions.
Law of physics if applied to text may show in football that the ball hitting the crossbar and then bouncing and hitting it again could not have crossed the line ,but there have been cases where it has due to the spin exerted.
When was this? Will need more proof than you just stating it TBH.
And hawkeye accounts for spin/swing/drift. And your football example is invalid - we're not trying to predict at what angle the ball will bounce off the stumps after hitting them - simply if they will hit the stumps or not.

I don't think you quite know how Hawkeye works. It tracks the ball from the bowler's hand, takes tons of photos over the course of it's motion and tracks it, tracking the swing, revolutions on the ball, and they track it's motion right after it hits the pitch up to the point it hits the pad/bat. In then uses all this data it has to complete the track of the ball. It has a very low error margin, which is half the width of a cricket ball (11.6 cm) if they have to predict a length of 2.5 m.

salman85

I'm still waiting to hear who Yuvraj is playing the tournament for,going by his comments after the Australia match.

Burgey

When was this? Will need more proof than you just stating it TBH.
And hawkeye accounts for spin/swing/drift. And your football example is invalid - we're not trying to predict at what angle the ball will bounce off the stumps after hitting them - simply if they will hit the stumps or not.

I don't think you quite know how Hawkeye works. It tracks the ball from the bowler's hand, takes tons of photos over the course of it's motion and tracks it, tracking the swing, revolutions on the ball, and they track it's motion right after it hits the pitch up to the point it hits the pad/bat. In then uses all this data it has to complete the track of the ball. It has a very low error margin, which is half the width of a cricket ball (11.6 cm) if they have to predict a length of 2.5 m.
Shane Warne bowled Andrew Strauss with a ball in 2005 which Hawkeye showed missing the stumps.

Everyone was shocked, not least the bails, which were laying on the ground.

hang on

Shane Warne bowled Andrew Strauss with a ball in 2005 which Hawkeye showed missing the stumps.

Everyone was shocked, not least the bails, which were laying on the ground.
i remember something similar. but, apparently, hawkeye was recallibrated afterwards and is, though not foolproof, at least idiotproof.